Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Rincon or Hardrock Sport? for Uber Clyde

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-18-09, 08:20 AM

Bikes: GT MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok yesterday I went to two LBS and the one that was the most helpful and the most knowledgable person I have spoke to yet also this person was a girl! This shop appeared to have the best deal but was the Giant dealer on an 09 Rincon I researched the Rincon last night on the MTBR forum only because for some reason I could not search this forum?

The other was Specialized to look at Hardrock Sport where the kid who helped me looked like his other job was at Abercrombie & Fitch he was nice but not so knowledgable

Both bikes have double wall rims, same gauge spokes but the hard rock has spokes that do not cross and the rincon has tripple cross spokes? Does this make a difference for a #300 + clyde
Old 02-18-09, 08:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry forgot the pics!!!
Old 02-18-09, 10:22 AM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Bigpete,
I'm personally a fan of the Hardrock Sport, but I don't like how Specialized cheaped out on the wheels now - they are only 32 spokes these days. So while I'm definitely partial to the Hardrock, the Giant has 36 spoke wheels which will do you better, and will require less up-front expense. Whichever one you do, I'd also recommend putting some slick tires on (Schwalbe Marathons or Big Apples are great), they transform the cycling experience on pavement
Old 02-18-09, 11:20 AM

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with the above comment. More spokes = stronger wheel, all other things being equal.
The 3-cross wheels are generally the standard for durability, but radial lacing (no crosses) is fine for a front wheel, as long as you do not have disk brakes. The quality of the build, the eveness of the spoke tension, and proper stress relieving and retensioning of the wheels are more important than which spokes/rims/pattern you have, though.

Most bikes come with machine built wheels and are not adequetly tensioned or properly stress relieved... something that you can ask a competant wheel builder to do for any bike before you ride it.
Old 02-18-09, 12:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test rode a Redline 29er today. Wow! That thing is awsome! it was so much fun to ride.
Old 02-18-09, 04:31 PM
Two Mile Terror

Bikes: NorthStar 29er w/old fart bars & a wide seat. aka The Pasta Maker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup,
it was over for me once I rode a 29er

nuthin' else would do
Old 02-18-09, 06:45 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pete
Ok yesterday I went to two LBS and the one that was the most helpful and the most knowledgable person I have spoke to yet also this person was a girl! This shop appeared to have the best deal but was the Giant dealer on an 09 Rincon I researched the Rincon last night on the MTBR forum only because for some reason I could not search this forum?

The other was Specialized to look at Hardrock Sport where the kid who helped me looked like his other job was at Abercrombie & Fitch he was nice but not so knowledgable

Both bikes have double wall rims, same gauge spokes but the hard rock has spokes that do not cross and the rincon has tripple cross spokes? Does this make a difference for a #300 + clyde
I have found that the MTBR forum isn't a true representation of reality, even for mountain bikers, most of the reviewers expect a $400 factory built mountain bike to perform like a $10,000 custom built downhill rig.

I am not familiar with either bike you looked at, but four things to remember:

1) Bike fit
2) You buy the dealer more then you buy the bicycle
3) Bike fit
4) Did I mention bike fit.

Let me elaborate:

If you look at two $1000 bikes from different companies in the same bike class, they are probably going to use a similar line of components, and be of similar quality. The important thing is, does the bike generally fit, and can fit be dialled in to perfect. A bike that does not fit, is not comfortable, and if it's not comfortable, you will not ride it, if you do not ride it, then you wasted your money.

Your dealer is the organization you will return to for repairs, adjustments, parts, accessories, etc. If they know their stuff and treat you well, then it is easier for you to keep your bike functioning well, and a joy to ride.

Don't be put off by the sales person being a girl, I've met some women riders who make our most hard core riders look like a bunch of wimps. Some do work in bike shops, and really know their stuff. The key is, if a shop knows how to deal with the larger rider. I've seen shops where they are willing to open the other door to let a larger person in, without saying anything other then "let me get that for you, may I help you" I've seen other shops that might as well have a scale at the door, with an arrow at the 70kg mark that says, if you weigh more then this, then do not enter. You want the first shop, not the second.
Old 02-18-09, 07:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went back to both shops again today and the girl was not there "by the way she was the knowledgable one and she was wearing a mechanics apron and it wasn't clean" but learned her shop only gives 3 months of free service and one wheel true. Actually spoke with the lead mechanic at the Specialized dealer and he gives lifetime service foir all bikes he sells! incluuding wheel trueing and he is the one who aired up the tires on the 29er so I could ride it also he was great with my wife. Not a salesman but a great person!
Old 02-19-09, 08:53 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Test rode a Redline 29er today. Wow! That thing is awsome! it was so much fun to ride.
Those are AWESOME. I loved the Redline 29er I rode!
Old 02-20-09, 01:07 AM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The wheels on my Monocog 29er have not been too good. They haven't broken any spokes yet, but don't stay true. I have had a new rear wheel built up, but still running the original front. I had to switch to a disk brake up front when I added the suspension fork, so it doesn't matter if the rim is true now. The hubs aren't anything special and required locktite to keep from loosening up, and I have broken the front axle and skewer. I am a lightweight by clyde standards and just use it for XC trails.
Old 02-20-09, 05:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks C M Shooter your experiences will help with a hard decision!