Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

For those of you with Deep-V's

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-18-09, 08:46 PM

Bikes: Specialized FSRxc Pro, Softride Norwester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who built your wheels?

Here's the deal. When I built my bike up last year, a friend very graciously allowed me to borrow his old wheels. They served me well, but I've imposed enough and feel the need to return them to him. I've picked up some Campy hubs (32 front, 36 rear) and saved my pennies. After reading lots and lots of wheel threads, I came to the conclusion that I really like Velocity Deep-V's. So that's what I'm going with.

I was going to build them myself, but the more I thought about it, the worse that idea seemed. I could probably do the front alright, but the rear kind of scares me.

I like the local shops, but if I'm going to have them built special, I'm inclined to go with someone who builds wheels as their main line. So it's mail order wheels for me. I've got enough saved to have Peter White do a rebuild on my hubs. I've read over his website and I like the attitude towards wheelbuilding he projects.

Guess I'm just wondering if there's anyone I've missed in my search. Gotta admit, I pretty much stopped looking after I saw he would do a rebuild on my hubs.
Old 02-18-09, 08:57 PM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Take a look at Wheelbuilder.com

There also a guy in Grandbury, TX. He's pretty much nationally known, but I can't think of his we site off hand. I'll try and find it tonight at work.

Both will use your existing hubs.

I'm sort of stuck on the same deal. I have a set of Chorus hub and a set of Mavic rims that are not Deep V, but found a great deal on some Vuelta Italia Corso Deep V's for rims. Now to talk myself into learning to build. I'm lucky that I have a couple of folks local who can help/teach me though.
Old 02-18-09, 10:30 PM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went through Universalcycles.com...you can send them your hubs. So far so good.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 02-18-09, 10:37 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Mine were built by Linn at Hodson's Bay in West Lafayette, Indiana.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-19-09, 01:47 AM
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
let me be the first to encourage you to learn to build your own wheels. while it is a little intimidating at first. the satisfaction is unbelievable. another option is to build and lace them,then take them to your lbs. for finishing
Old 02-19-09, 04:10 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I built my own, after so many failures by the pros at the shops. It's not as tough as you think. Common sense and a short break when you need it helps to regroup. I've got 17,000 mile on my first rear wheel. Finally had to true it slightly for the first time last week. I read Sheldon Brown's site.
Old 02-19-09, 04:12 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What scared me was the fact aht the rear is offset. But since the drive side spokes are shorter, as long as you keep the wheel dished while building, it's actually simple. Almost sets itself!
Old 02-19-09, 04:13 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Typing is tougher for me than building a wheel!
Old 02-19-09, 10:13 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lots of guys from the Road Forum seem to rave about Mike Garcia at Odds and Endos. Last time I looked, Peter White seems a bit pricey in comparison to some of the alternatives...
Old 02-19-09, 10:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building your own is the way to go if you are willing to give it a try. One of the benefits to building it yourself is that you can do it over and over if need be. If you are nervous about it then get a piece of junk wheel and take it apart and put it back together a few times.

When you get a wheel built at a shop you expect it to be good to go. So when it turns out that the spokes are wound up or not stress relieved you are going to find that out when you are 10 miles from your house when they come loose, leaving you riding on a noodle. If you built it yourself the same thing may happen but you will know what happened and you will have a spoke wrench in your pocket and be able to fix it up enough to get home before any damage is done and then you can fix your mistake later. You will not need to walk your bike home and you will not need to take your wheel back to the shop.
Before you know it you will be building wheels for friends and truing up complete strangers wheels just for laughs.
Old 02-19-09, 01:27 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andymac
Before you know it you will be building wheels for friends and truing up complete strangers wheels just for laughs.

Very good answer. You've helped convince even me. Case in point is my Ambrosio Excellent rims I had built up by my LBS. They done a good job but they charged me $50 a wheel. Thats $100 just in labor charges that I could've bought some more bike shwag with.

Next time I'm gonna build them myself.
Old 02-19-09, 01:50 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Like Andy says, I've trued wheel for maybe 20 others on the road with wheel problems.

I did find a Deep V on a clearance table for $25. Another $20 for spokes left me some extra dough for the $100 Dura Ace hub. $145 and I have a pretty nice wheel on my roadie! Saved on labor charges too!
Old 02-19-09, 06:06 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I would check locally with other riders and see if anyone is a good builder.. If not Peter White and Mike Garcia are both solid choices for wheel building.. Peter built wheels for friend and they are rock solid..
Old 02-19-09, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
I had mine built locally by Scott at Open Road Bicycles. Had them retension and check to true about 400 miles and 1500 miles later, still solid as a rock.

Old 02-20-09, 08:34 AM

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team, Trek FX7.3, Bianchi Campione d'italia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had deep v's built by eric gottsmann (sp?) at ergottwheels....he's in Long Island, NY.....
Old 02-20-09, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Specialized FSRxc Pro, Softride Norwester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it turns out my friend isn't really in a hurry to get his wheels back after all. Since there's no rush it looks like I'll be building them myself after all.

Thanks for all the good responses and advice!