Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

MS150 Banned Kids on Tandems

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 10:41 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

My 8-year-old and I were ready to sign up for our third MS150 ride in Pittsburgh when we saw the new rules that all participants must be at least 12 to ride this year. My son was old enough at 6 and at 7, but now 8 is too young! We are really heartbroken. Has anyone else been affected by this new rule and any ideas if or how it can be appealed. I can see the need for a rule for kids solo but on a tandem with their parent should be pretty safe. We are very disappointed.. We had two other tandem teams planning to ride with us this year that are also affected.
Old 02-22-09, 12:33 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Road Tandem, Rodbikes Belt Drive Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This happened to me last year, BUT DON'T GIVE UP. I live in Kansas City, and had ridden two previous MS 150's with my daughter, who was 5 on her first one in 2006. I contacted the organizers and it turned out that it was acceptable for her to ride. They basically said that there were two reasons she could be an exception:

1. Because she has done the ride in previous years (basically a grandfather clause type of arrangement). If she can ride 89 miles in a day when she's 5, I'm sure she can do it at 7.
2. Because she was on a regular bike, completely steered by the pilot (myself). That is to say that it is not a trailer bike.

I believe that the issue may have come up due to concerns with the stability of trailer bikes as well as the possible fatigue and health concerns about children on bikes for a long period of time. The way I figure it, if she do all the training rides and tours, I'm sure she can ride the MS. Plus, I really love supporting the fight against MS, and think it is a great way to help her be involved in something bigger.

The bottom line, we did have to fill out some extra paperwork, but it was allowed (after a number of phone calls and emails). I haven't registered for this year yet, but my hope is that it will be the same. Oh, also, I rode with one of the largest MS teams in our area. I know that there were many people from my team who also called or emailed the local organizers on my behalf. I'm sure that didn't hurt.

Good Luck!
Old 02-22-09, 06:39 AM

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I hate lawyers!
Old 02-22-09, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I hate lawyers!
I hate sue happy americans..........
Old 02-22-09, 11:19 AM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joe@vwvortex
I hate sue happy americans..........
Too hard to judge without a lot more information...

But for anyone who may not be aware of what some of these comments are referring to, here's just one of what I'm sure are hundreds of articles on the Web regarding one of two fatalities that occurred during two separate MS 150 rides back in 2006:

https://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archi...5/3292586.html

I suspect that as part of it's due diligence the MS 150 lawyers had a room full of cycling safety consultants and experts review the rules for their events and the age limit was just one of the resultant changes.
Old 02-22-09, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
Too hard to judge without a lot more information...
Not referring to this specific instance - but the comment regarding lawyers in general. All the idiots filing frivolous lawsuits are as much to blame if not more so than the lawyers.
Old 02-22-09, 07:55 PM
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I also think this is a fundamental change in the nature of riders the MS150's arouns the country are trying to attract. I know and ride with the coordinator of the MS150 in my area and he told me that they are trying to get away from the casual or untrained rider and move more toward the advanced recreational rider. They are deliberately making the route harder with more climbing. They are organizing more training rides. But the bottom line is that they want riders with experience and not novices or children.

It might not be popular but it is what it is.
Old 02-22-09, 11:51 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Road Tandem, Rodbikes Belt Drive Fixed Gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just read the articles about the fatalities. How unfortunate! To be honest, I can understand the family's reaction. When I ride on the MS150 (or any other organized or unorganized ride), I completely consider it my responsibility to ensure my own safety. Although the organizers try to have crossing gaurds and many intersections, it is very common for these gaurds to not be the most competent individuals for such a responsibility.

I consider the added police presence and crossing gaurds to be convenient, but certainly not a real assurance of safety. I can see how many riders may see this differently.

All this talk makes me motivated to register. I better go ahead and do it soon, and hope that I will again be allowed to participate.
Old 02-23-09, 05:33 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce, Bianchi Milano, Giant Anthem 29

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you lawyer-haters never need one! i hope you work in a profession where you help people and wake up to read crap like that about yourself!
Old 02-23-09, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do work in a profession that does help people and nobody write "crap like that" about my profession. Perhaps you are working in the wrong field, phoran.
Old 02-23-09, 06:50 AM

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2009 Santana Tandem, 2023 Sanitas Custom Node

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Having ridden a few MS150s, I believe the issue was not so much the tandems proper, but the tag-alongs. I have seen more than one kid sleeping back there; not very safe.

I also believe that the MS society is working on that happy balance of number of riders and money. Here the Houston-Austin ride fills up in 7 hours with 13,000 riders. The San Antonio ride gets about 3,500 riders and is changing the route this year to increase participation.
Old 02-23-09, 06:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope. i do good things. i just get sick of reading misinformed bashing like that. i'm off to save the world. Perhaps i can help an injured cyclist today!
Old 02-23-09, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps you can learn to capitalise the first-person singular personal pronoun at the same time, phoran.
Old 02-23-09, 08:04 AM
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rather than having the Mods lock or purge the off-topic, P&R stuff... let's see if we can't get this back in the box.

Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I hate lawyers!
There are good lawyers who provide an essential service in our country, a country that exists and is shaped the way it is by a complex system of laws that attempt to level the playing field. Without this legal system and a proponderance of the professional lawyers working to uphold the spirit and intent of these laws, anarchy and corruption would be the rule instead of the exception. It's unfortunate that the media only shines their cameras on the anarchy and corruption and gross misuse of tort laws, aka., the legal lottery system. Of course, it's regular citizens who sit in the jury box and judges who 'rule' on these cases, not the lawyers.

There are lawyers who focus more on personal gain or ego that work in the grey areas of the law where one would hope that ethics, conscience and a commitment to upholding the spirit and the intent of the law would guide their actions... not just finding loop holes in the letter of the law or abusing the tort laws and taking what appear to be obscene 'cuts' of the awards for personal gain. These are the bad apples that taint the profession.

Of course, there are also bad apples in the medical, investment, banking, construction and, well, just about every other profession and occupation often time who engage lawyers of a similar ilk. How about 'dem policitians? Short-sighted greed / power / influence is the common thread and I don't know how you fix that short of, well, enforcing laws and prosecuting the bad apples. For that, you need good lawyers.

Originally Posted by phoran
I hope you lawyer-haters never need one! i hope you work in a profession where you help people and wake up to read crap like that about yourself!
If you're not one of the lawyers who gives your profession its 'butt of all jokes' reputation then why does this upset you so much? Again, there ARE bad apples in the legal profession... and if it troubles you direct your energies to your State Bar Assn. and whatever efforts they are taking to rid your profession of the lawyers who don't meet muster.

Originally Posted by LWaB
I do work in a profession that does help people and nobody write "crap like that" about my profession. Perhaps you are working in the wrong field, phoran.
Purely inflamatory but, yes... in general the old adage always applies: If you're not part of the solution then perhaps you're part of the problem. Tolerating bad lawyers and abusing the tort system, etc... doesn't benefit anyone in the long run except the bad lawyers.

Originally Posted by phoran
Nope. i do good things. i just get sick of reading misinformed bashing like that. i'm off to save the world. Perhaps i can help an injured cyclist today!
Like I said, if the shoe doesn't fit why do you care? If you do care, police your own.

Perhaps you can learn to capitalise the first-person singular personal pronoun at the same time, phoran.
Playground non-sense that undermines your own credibility[in the context of an on-going debate or exchange of ideas].
So, back on topic, has anyone else encountered changes in their local MS 150 rules that might impact their interest or ability to participate? Does anyone else have constructive suggestions about how to work with the local MS 150 organizers to bridge that gap?

Last edited by TandemGeek; 02-23-09 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-23-09, 08:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm writingg this all off to 2 things: 1)snow won't go away, and i'm sick of "riding" my trainer, and 2)Monday morning grumpiness!

Sorry!
Old 02-23-09, 08:45 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Playground non-sense that undermines your own credibility.
True, this is playground stuff about a fundamental point of language. I'll take the risk to my on-line credibility for a little self-amusement, in this case.
Old 02-23-09, 09:55 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
I don't think the MS 150 people had in mind kids on the back of tandems when they made the rules.

Having done several MS150's with my daughter on a tandem, having ridden with other kid stoker teams on MS 150 rides, and having done a couple more MS150's on a single in various parts of the country, I am certain, that almost any parent/child tandem team is safer, and better bike handlers, than a whole lot of single riders, that have next to no bike handling skills, and exhibit almost no common sense.

I'd bet that most MS150 rides would be willing to waive the age requirement for a child stoker. If not it's there loss, and there are plenty of other rides you can do with your kid.

All that said, MS150 rides are dangerous rides due to the vast differences in abilities, and the sheer numbers. The age 12 rule is a very reasonable rule. No way I would put my 11 year old kid on an MS150 ride on their own bike.

They just need to consider its application to tandems.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-23-09, 10:43 AM

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

I wish i could take back the "I hate lawyers" comment. I wish i had said " You've gotta love lawyers".
Old 02-23-09, 11:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can take it back! just make sure you capitalize correctly!
Old 02-23-09, 01:04 PM

Let's not get carried away.
Old 02-23-09, 10:08 PM
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I don't think the MS 150 people had in mind kids on the back of tandems when they made the rules.

Having done several MS150's with my daughter on a tandem, having ridden with other kid stoker teams on MS 150 rides, and having done a couple more MS150's on a single in various parts of the country, I am certain, that almost any parent/child tandem team is safer, and better bike handlers, than a whole lot of single riders, that have next to no bike handling skills, and exhibit almost no common sense.

I'd bet that most MS150 rides would be willing to waive the age requirement for a child stoker. If not it's there loss, and there are plenty of other rides you can do with your kid.

All that said, MS150 rides are dangerous rides due to the vast differences in abilities, and the sheer numbers. The age 12 rule is a very reasonable rule. No way I would put my 11 year old kid on an MS150 ride on their own bike.

They just need to consider its application to tandems.
I also think that age is easier to regulate than rider ability. I do agree that one of the big issues is ability of participants. That was one of the things I alluded to in my comment. By making the route harder they can target untrained riders without an arbitrary rule. The age thing is just a consequence, collateral damage so to speak.

In order to minimize the danger the best way is to get rid of the "untrained" riders, unfortunately those "untrained" riders appear to be the bulk of the riders that participate. Over the past few years there have been many attempts to change the flavor of the MS150 by our local chapter. Some more effective than others. Now they seem to be going in the direction of, "if we make it so hard for novices, we will have less novices riding." whether that is good or bad only time will tell.

I know that for myself, I did not participate in previous MS150 rides because of the danger involved in those once a year riders that simply endanger everyone else around them, sort of like those only go to church at Easter bunch (don't flame me for the church comment). In our area the belief is that their donations are more important than their participation.

Just a couple of cents worth.
Old 02-24-09, 06:02 AM
Florida rider

Bikes: Ticycle (custom Ti duraace front to back) --- Specialized Roubaix Pro ---- Specialized S Works Epic----Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot (delivery 11/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might be a good idea to learn to spell CAPITALIZE.....

just a thought
Old 02-24-09, 06:23 AM
hors category

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeguy
It might be a good idea to learn to spell CAPITALIZE.....
Public Service Announcement: This is an international forum and, as such, has members from other parts of the world where similar words to those used in U.S. or American English are pronounced, spelled and sometimes used differently, e.g., schedule, capitalise, defence, colour, fanny, etc...

LWaB hales from just such a place (note his location information, i.e., Sunshine State, OZ) and likely speaks New Zealand English, which is even somewhat different from Australian English, which are both somewhat different from British English and all of which are different from American English.

Must be a lot of snow-bound folks out there.
Old 02-24-09, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The grumpiness must stop!

on a more on-topic note, i looked at the somewhat sketchy details of the 15 yr old fatality which was posted earlier. In Michigan, participants in a group ride are forced to sign a liability waiver which our state supreme court has held up to protect the organizing group from negligence. These often result in cases where victims are not compensated, even where the negligent act is clear. Has anyone received an official reply from ms150 as to the thought process behind the age restriction?
Old 02-25-09, 04:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LWaB hales from just such a place (note his location information, i.e., Sunshine State, OZ) and likely speaks New Zealand English, which is even somewhat different from Australian English, which are both somewhat different from British English and all of which are different from American English.
Now the insults have started, calling me a Kiwi

By the way, 'British English' is just 'English', every other form is a derivation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.