Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

hello

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello

Hello all. I'm Ozzie and a beginner. Like many people on here I want to learn about cycling so all feedback is welcome. I live in the downtown Miami area so I'm looking at either purchasing a good road bike or a cyclocross. Im still undecided. Maybe someone can help guide me to the best decision. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-09, 01:25 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to BF.
Read thru the threads in the Road Cycling forum for info on bikes.
Will you be racing the CX bike or using as a commuter or just riding it both on and off road?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-23-09, 01:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply. I am actually interested in cyclocross or a nice road bike but I can't seem to make up my mind. I have been to a few shops and so far there are a couple of bikes I really love. I found this Redline cyclo bike and I've also seen a bianchi and a specialized allez that I love I just don't know which way to go. That's why I came in here. Maybe to educated myself a bit more. I've budgeted about $800 for the bike and then of course the accesories are not part of that figure.
Old 02-23-09, 04:27 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also look at the Specialized Tricross. If you are looking at cyclocross bikes becuse you may sometimes go on unpaved pathss or bad roads, then one of those fitted with smooth tires of 28 or 32 mm wide would be the thing for you. For CX racing you would need the wider nobbies to deal with the mud. Then a second set of wheels with thin road tires would allow you to satisfy your appetite for speed.
Old 02-23-09, 04:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would the Specialized be better than a Redline conquest? My local bike shop has a Redline that has been sitting there for quite sometime and they've offered it to me for $700 total (marked down from $999). Now i'm not looking to bargain hunt since this is something that I am taking seriously but in these economic times I need to stay at my budget.
Old 02-23-09, 06:51 PM
Life is good

The Tricross is a much nicer bike (better components) and costs about 3x the price of the Redline.
If you like the Redline and it fits I'd say go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

To learn more about bikes that others have and to be a little more informed about bikes, read thru some of the threads in the Road Cycling forum, the Cyclocross forum, and the Commuting forum.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 02-23-09 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-23-09, 07:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup I did notice that. $700 vs about $1500 from what I've seen online. I'm gonna keep shopping. The Redline did fit me quite well so I might stick with that. I think as a starter bike it might be worth it but then again I'm new at this so I don't really know.
Old 02-23-09, 07:41 PM
Life is good

Everybody starts with a lower end bike. It's kind of like buying a car. You don't get a $40,000 BMW as your first car.
Once you have some miles under your belt you'll have a better idea of what kind of bike (frame material, components, pedals, etc.) you'll want in the long run.
Me, I started with an entry level bike that cost ~$1100. Two years later I graduated to a $3500 bike. Now I have 3 bikes and each has a different use -- one Ti road bike, one aluminum cyclocross bike, one steel commuter bike.

Old 02-23-09, 08:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow.. well thank you so much. I'm just gonna do it and enjoy it. I used to freestyle when I was a young kid so I remember how much I used to love being on my bike. Now I'm a bit older and as soon as I get on a bike it's like that love never left me. It's a great feeling. I'll keep you posted as to what I actually wind up getting. I'm very very excited.