Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Thinner tires

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Thinner tires

Old 05-06-04, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone ride with thinner tires on the trails, 1.5-1.8, and what kind of tires have you used if so.

Last edited by rmwun54; 05-06-04 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Printed twice
Old 05-06-04, 12:58 AM
Keepin' it real since '84

Bikes: Jamis Komodo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmwun54
And what kind of thinner tires?
Old 05-06-04, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigchina
Just looking to see if there anyone ride with thinner tires on the trails and what were their opinion was with their use.
Old 05-06-04, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, Bigger = Better.

I'm running a set of 2.4" right now. I sometimes switch to a 2.25, but usually the smallest I ride is a 2.1", and that's if I know it's all pretty flat XC type course.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 05-06-04, 07:08 PM
Biker @ 42

Bikes: '04 Haro X2 FR/DH, K2 Flyin' Monkey DH, K2 Beast DH, DiamondBack Axis TR XC, DiamondBack Ascent EX XC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmwun54
Does anyone ride with thinner tires on the trails, 1.5-1.8, and what kind of tires have you used if so.

I usually run 1.95", mainly for weight savings. I also have around 50 - 55 psi in both front & rear tires. None of my friends run that high a pressure, but it all adds up to easier climbing and faster acceleration. There are some draw backs to narrower tires, but I put up with them. Bigger tires offer more absorbtion, but that's what I have full suspension for....

It really all depends on how & where you ride as to the type of tire you should be using. This also applies to the tread type being used. A mud tread will be slower on hard pack, and a hybrid tread won't get thru the muddy stuff... Its all common sense actually....