Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

bmx flip-flop hub road bike conversion

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a single speed gitane frame and have been trying to convert to fixed for a while now but I'm poor. I magically came across a bmx (it has either an 'r' or a 'p' on it) fixed 48 spoke flip flop hub. I was wondering if it would be practical to lace a rim to it and use it or are there issues that I'm unaware of?
Old 02-27-09, 11:32 AM
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
AFAIK, bmx flip-flop hubs don't have lockring threads, and the difference between the two sides is the size of the threads, enabling the use of two differently threaded freewheels.
Old 02-27-09, 11:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure it's fixed (does it have the reverse threaded section for the lockring)? I don't think there is really such a thing as a fixed BMX hub. You could definitely build it up into a nice strong wheel. I built up a 48h rear wheel for a polo bike with a DK BMX hub and it's super strong.

BMX hubs have similar spacing to track hubs, have long axles so can tolerate being re-spaced, many of the newer ones have good quality sealed bearings, and many have high flanges. The flange-to-flange spacing should also be similar to track hubs. I say build the wheel, you can make a bombproof wheel with the BMX hub to convert your bike to single speed.

One last thing, if the BMX hub has oversized axles that are not slotted, you might have to file them.
Old 02-27-09, 12:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah you're right it's not threaded for lockrings. bummer. maybe i can trade it for what i need. Thanks guys.