Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tools and spare parts for tours

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What do you carry when you're on the road. What do you leave behind?
Old 02-28-09, 05:19 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
See Packing List:
https://www.machka.net/packinglist.htm
Old 02-28-09, 05:29 PM
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We carry all the stuff needed to fix a flat tire or a broken chain or make adjustments to the brakes and stuff like that. We do not carry the big, heavy wrenches we would need to completely take the bike apart - if we need to do that we'll have to seek out help somewhere.
Old 03-01-09, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nancy sv
We carry all the stuff needed to fix a flat tire or a broken chain or make adjustments to the brakes and stuff like that. We do not carry the big, heavy wrenches we would need to completely take the bike apart - if we need to do that we'll have to seek out help somewhere.
+1

Here's my basic repair/parts kit:

small sharp knife
couple of rags
chain lube
2 tubes
2 tire levers
patch kit
exta master link and a few spare regular chainlinks
Allen keys: 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6 mm
miniature screw driver consisting of #2 phillips, #1 phillips, and flathead tips.
chain tool
spoke wrench
brass wire brush
presta to shrader adapter (so I can air up at a gas station in case my pump fails)
2 spare spokes with nipples for each spoke size
small pair of channel locks with the handles cut to about half length (good for taking apart a chain at the master link or straightening a dinged rim)
a half sheet of 200 grit wet-dry paper (to smooth out channel lock marks on a rim, scuff a tube for patching, sharpen a knife, etc.)
a small piece of an old tire a couple of inches long (for a blown-out sidewall emergency repair)
electrical tape
zip ties
small assortment of 5 mm and 6 mm nuts and bolts

Also, depending on the length and relative remoteness of a tour, I would consider carrying a spare folding tire and a set of brake pads. (Touring through the Great Plains is remote in the sense that bike shops can be few and far between.)

Make sure your bike is in perfect condition when you start the tour, and you shouldn't have any problems with BB, hubs, headset, etc.

Doing a long tour in a remote third world country or backcountry/wilderness setting is an entirely different situation. For that I would consider bringing a full tool kit to service anything on the bike.

Last edited by northboundtrain; 03-01-09 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-01-09, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tools I take are: 3 4 5 6 mm hex keys, a piece of tubing to put on them for more torque, patch kit, pump, tire irons, 8 and 10 mm sockets from an old multi tool that have 6 mm hex openings on the backs to allow the 6mm hex key for a handle, a cassette cracker with 14 and 15 g spoke wrenches. I used to bring a crescent wrench, needle nose vice grips, short headset/pedal wrench, small crank puller, and a chain breaker. I've found that garage mechanics are happy to let me use their tools if there's something I didn't bring.
For spare parts: various nuts/bolts for racks/fenders/panniers, a few spokes, 2 tubes, 2 gear cables (no brake cables, hydraulic rim brakes, for now), presta/schraeder adapter and for longer trips a spare tire, chain and brake pads.

Last edited by thecrunge; 03-02-09 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-01-09, 10:45 PM
WATERFORD22

Bikes: Bilenky, Co-Motion, 1969 Paramount, Waterford Adventure Cycle, Waterford rs 22, 1980 Davidson etc.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never go on a tour without a file for my pads - I find I pick up a lot of crud that eventually ends in my pads. I find I also take to much stuff - what I've really used are tire boots, patches, quick links, chain lube, my file. Also as often the case when I tour with a group we double and triples of everything!