Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

MA/CT roads icy?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

MA/CT roads icy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MA/CT roads icy?

I'm planning on making a three-day trip from Boston to NY next week since I have spring break. I know this is more a touring question but I figured I'd ask here since commuters ride all the time. I'm planning on following this route:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-York-City1537

However, I'm concerned about ice since I'd be traveling in rural areas for most of the way-in fact, a quick google news search turns up several articles citing icy road conditions a few weeks ago all over ct. If that's still the case i'll probably postpone this trip. If anyone has commuted on any of these roads recently and is aware of their current status any input or suggestions for alternative routes would be appreciated-I'm still debating whether to get studded tires or not. Right now i'm running schwalbe marathon plus 26x1.75s, which I could deflate if I run into any ice, and I do have some 2.1 knobbies.

Last edited by thehum; 02-28-09 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-01-09, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is hard to say at this time, most roads are clear and dry here in CT atm, but expecting a big storm to move up the coast later Sunday into monday with 5" to 2' expected along the coast
Old 03-01-09, 06:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are on regular passenger roads, ice should not be a problem, unless you're in the midst of a storm.
Old 03-01-09, 09:38 AM
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Alot of those roads in the border area of RI Ct and MA are in a hilly terrain I would worry about the width of the travel lane and sandy shoulders. that and a lot of "hillbilly" mentality when it comes to bikes. I would say that road conditions would be way less than ideal and to wait for spring for this trip.
Old 03-01-09, 10:34 AM
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I'm intending to do a little bike tour during that week as well starting from Boston and heading down through South Eastern MA and the Cape. But the weather is not looking cooperative.

We're expecting a good dose of snow today and tomorrow and then the weather doesn't look too promising for a serious melt down before a week from now. (Are you on break from BU?, which starts on March
7th?)

What you'll more than likely encounter for conditions is narrowed roads due to snow on sides, sandy, salty roads, wet roads during the sunny part of the day with puddles and hard to spot potholes (filled with water). Early in the morning you can expect ice, some black ice and there is some sleeting/snow predicted for that week.

I just ordered a Schwalbe Marathon Winter tire (studded) 26x1.5 from BikeTiresDirect to replace a rear studded Nokian and have a Nokian studded 1.9 on the front. I was planning on using my road bike for the tour but may go with my commuter if the weather continues to be wintry.

A pair of Schwalbe Marathon winters will run you about 150.00 with tax and shipping. For $209.00 you could get a round trip flight to Vegas and ride Red Rock and the surrounding areas and stay in a cheap hotel for the week or camp out and ride in the warmth and sun- weather is predicted to be 65-75 and sunny for the next 2 weeks.
Old 03-01-09, 08:43 PM
What, me hurry?

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, 1987 Peugeot Iseran mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As of 9 pm Sunday the 1st, we're expecting a foot of snow in Boston before morning. All the schools are declaring snow days for Monday. It's expected to remain at or below freezing for the rest of the week. I'll be riding my bike with the studded tires this week for commuting.

Is your tour this week (beginning March 1) or the following week?
Old 03-02-09, 06:15 AM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boston Commuter
As of 9 pm Sunday the 1st, we're expecting a foot of snow in Boston before morning.
That's highly exaggerated, but still, there's snow on the ground -- about 4-5 inches and more coming. If you're looking to ride on dry roads, early this week doesn't look good.
Old 03-02-09, 08:08 AM
What, me hurry?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
That's highly exaggerated, but still, there's snow on the ground -- about 4-5 inches and more coming. If you're looking to ride on dry roads, early this week doesn't look good.
That was the forecast last night. Looking out the window this morning, it does seem to have been a bit exaggerated. On the other hand, all the schools and universities have declared snow days today. As of 9 AM the main roads are not cleared and it's still snowing.

I guess the groundhog really did see his shadow this year.
Old 03-02-09, 09:01 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
10 am, snow's over in Boston.
Old 03-02-09, 12:09 PM
----

Snow Day for me!!!

And my Marathon Winter Tire arrived- no snow day for UPS, I guess.

And what do you mean "highly exaggerated"? I think the reports said we could get as much as or up to a foot- not that we would definitely get a foot of snow. We got pretty much exactly what the weather reports I heard and read predicted- 8"-12". We got about 9 in Newton. I didn't have to ride in today so I have no idea how much Boston got- I would guess a little less: 8"? I'm sure there are some areas that got a full foot of snow but very hard to predict what the exact totals will be on a coastal Nor'easter like this one.

But for your bike trip, unless there is some really warm weather the roads are going to be kind of crappy for touring. The snow storm travelled in exactly the same line you intend to take to NYC. My trip Cape bound may not be that much better but there might be a bit less snow and somewhat warmer temps.
Old 03-02-09, 01:19 PM
What, me hurry?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
10 am, snow's over in Boston.
Bat, I gather you live in "Boston, sort of" -- at least that's what is says below your name. Where is that, and what is the weather like there?

In the interest of keeping the OP accurately informed: here in Actual Boston (Jamaica Plain neighborhood thereof), it's still snowing lightly but steadily at 2 pm, and we did have about a foot of snow on the ground this morning.
Old 03-02-09, 01:37 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boston Commuter
Bat, I gather you live in "Boston, sort of" -- at least that's what is says below your name. Where is that, and what is the weather like there?
I wrote that from my office across from Boston Common. As I wrote, the snow was over with by 10 am. It''s cloudy now. Ca suffit?
Old 03-02-09, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
I'm intending to do a little bike tour during that week as well starting from Boston and heading down through South Eastern MA and the Cape. But the weather is not looking cooperative.

We're expecting a good dose of snow today and tomorrow and then the weather doesn't look too promising for a serious melt down before a week from now. (Are you on break from BU?, which starts on March
7th?)

What you'll more than likely encounter for conditions is narrowed roads due to snow on sides, sandy, salty roads, wet roads during the sunny part of the day with puddles and hard to spot potholes (filled with water). Early in the morning you can expect ice, some black ice and there is some sleeting/snow predicted for that week.

I just ordered a Schwalbe Marathon Winter tire (studded) 26x1.5 from BikeTiresDirect to replace a rear studded Nokian and have a Nokian studded 1.9 on the front. I was planning on using my road bike for the tour but may go with my commuter if the weather continues to be wintry.

A pair of Schwalbe Marathon winters will run you about 150.00 with tax and shipping. For $209.00 you could get a round trip flight to Vegas and ride Red Rock and the surrounding areas and stay in a cheap hotel for the week or camp out and ride in the warmth and sun- weather is predicted to be 65-75 and sunny for the next 2 weeks.
yeah, i'll be on bu spring break starts this weekend.

boston got about 4-5 inches. I just rode into work (from bu to cambridge) and stuck to highly salted roads. not too bad.

BU shut down school for the day so comm ave was eerily empty this morning. It was beautiful. Just a few peds, the T, and me.

It doesn't look like i'll be making this trip after all-at least not this weekend. The weather isn't looking too great this week. If I had marathon winters I would definately go but but i really can't afford to spend $150 for one trip on top of the SMP's I just got.

I appreciate all the replies, so thanks everyone.

Last edited by thehum; 03-02-09 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-05-09, 04:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm so this weekend temps are supposed to reach mid-high 50s on saturday and sunday across MA and CT. I'm considering just going with what I have (non-studded SMPs) and expecting lots of wet salty roads with minimal ice. Of course i'd be assuming after monday's snowfall (and tonights shower/flurries) all the roads I'll be traveling on will be plowed and salted (or at least mostly melted. The warm weather is very tempting, so unless someone has reports of nasty conditions of the smaller routes, I think i might just make this trip.

buzzman i'm assuming you'll be running marathon winters on your trip to the cape. are you still intending on making that trip?
Old 03-05-09, 06:13 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
thehum-
Glad to hear you'll be making the trip after all.
I'm in the New Haven area. I was actually in Boston last Sunday/Monday for the snow. Not too bad as storms go.

Here in the New Haven area things have been clear and dry for a day or two. Today's sunshine and warmer temps got rid of everything that was left. I think you'd do fine on the roads around here.
Old 03-05-09, 10:52 PM
----

Originally Posted by thehum
hmm so this weekend temps are supposed to reach mid-high 50s on saturday and sunday across MA and CT. I'm considering just going with what I have (non-studded SMPs) and expecting lots of wet salty roads with minimal ice. Of course i'd be assuming after monday's snowfall (and tonights shower/flurries) all the roads I'll be traveling on will be plowed and salted (or at least mostly melted. The warm weather is very tempting, so unless someone has reports of nasty conditions of the smaller routes, I think i might just make this trip.

buzzman i'm assuming you'll be running marathon winters on your trip to the cape. are you still intending on making that trip?
I've decided to go with some cyclo-cross tires I put on my road bike to do a dirt road classic ride (D2H2) last summer. My marathon winter tire didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. It's listed as a 1.75 but had the same width as the 1.9 and was bit of a jam fit in my chain stays.

I'm hoping the weather works out for us.
Old 03-06-09, 12:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
I've decided to go with some cyclo-cross tires I put on my road bike to do a dirt road classic ride (D2H2) last summer. My marathon winter tire didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. It's listed as a 1.75 but had the same width as the 1.9 and was bit of a jam fit in my chain stays.

I'm hoping the weather works out for us.
heh i just saw your post about the winters not fitting. I'll be leaving saturday morning and will be updating my status live though twitter using my cellphone, which will be posted at bubikes.org, so feel free to follow when I start.