Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Stoked!

Old 03-01-09, 01:52 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stoked!

I set a goal in my crit today (CBR Long Beach #2) to ride the back of the pack and move up in the last 5 laps and at least place 20th. I ended up taking 20th place, I know it's not much but it's nice to see progress, not to mention this was my fifth CAT 5 race so I'm halfway there. I think I would have placed higher but someone totally let up as he passed the finish line and I was still sprinting behind him so I had to slow .

Either way, I'm a happy camper.
Old 03-01-09, 02:24 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by fauxto nick
I set a goal in my crit today (CBR Long Beach #2) to ride the back of the pack and move up in the last 5 laps and at least place 20th. I ended up taking 20th place, I know it's not much but it's nice to see progress, not to mention this was my fifth CAT 5 race so I'm halfway there. I think I would have placed higher but someone totally let up as he passed the finish line and I was still sprinting behind him so I had to slow .

Good show Nick. Well done.
Old 03-01-09, 02:40 PM
Look at all these buttons

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I think you learn much more being in the pack or at the back of the pack than you would at the front.

Cat 5ers looking to upgrade after 10 races should be focused entirely on learning not to kill themselves or others.

Not to say don't try and win races... but don't sell a 20th place finish short... it's likely more valuable (knowledgewise) than what the chap off the front learned.
Old 03-01-09, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
next week...

Old 03-01-09, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Nick I was there too. Good job!
Old 03-01-09, 03:07 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys, I'm really motivated right now, and next week I have two races over the week, both crits. Semaj did you hear me screaming going across the line at that kid?
Old 03-01-09, 03:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you hear me screaming going across the line at that kid?
screaming in a sprint for 20th?

either way, it's nice to achieve goals. way to go.
Old 03-01-09, 03:18 PM
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very good show. Keep setting goals and keep matching them.
Old 03-01-09, 03:59 PM
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nicely done...
Old 03-01-09, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm really motivated right now, and next week I have two races over the week, both crits. Semaj did you hear me screaming going across the line at that kid?
No, I didn't hear anything. What was the yelling for? Also, what kit/bike do you sport?
Old 03-01-09, 04:28 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmb2786
screaming in a sprint for 20th?

either way, it's nice to achieve goals. way to go.
Lol no I was sprinting to try and get as far under 20th as possible and someone went across the line and slammed his handle bars and slowed down angry he didn't place better. He screwed me over big time because i had to slow my sprint I screamed "DON'T STOP PEDDLING?!?!".
Old 03-01-09, 04:31 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by semaj
No, I didn't hear anything. What was the yelling for? Also, what kit/bike do you sport?
Red Trek with a PAA/REMAX kit.
Old 03-01-09, 04:42 PM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Here's a hint. Don't sprint for 20th in a CAT 5 race.

Good job on the finish.
Old 03-01-09, 04:53 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Here's a hint. Don't sprint for 20th in a CAT 5 race.

Good job on the finish.
I wasn't sprinting for 20th, I was sprinting to get within scoring which happens to be 1-20.
Old 03-01-09, 05:31 PM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I wasn't sprinting for 20th, I was sprinting to get within scoring which happens to be 1-20.
Alright then!

Congrats
Old 03-01-09, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Lol no I was sprinting to try and get as far under 20th as possible and someone went across the line and slammed his handle bars and slowed down angry he didn't place better. He screwed me over big time because i had to slow my sprint I screamed "DON'T STOP PEDDLING?!?!".
Yes, HOW DARE a racer blow up or slow with you on his wheel. Pick a better wheel next time - that's the lesson here. The mistake was yours, not his. That said, great finish. Keep setting that bar a little higher.
Old 03-01-09, 07:32 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good job nick... I hung out with some of your cat 4 teammates at snsr. I probably won't have very many more chances to race with your for a while since I'll be out of the 4s when you get here. There may be a few more combined crits on my schedule. Are you doing dominguez hills next Sunday?
Old 03-02-09, 12:12 AM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Good job nick... I hung out with some of your cat 4 teammates at snsr. I probably won't have very many more chances to race with your for a while since I'll be out of the 4s when you get here. There may be a few more combined crits on my schedule. Are you doing dominguez hills next Sunday?
I'm in for Arctic at Dominguez next saturday and I'm doing Island View Classic in Goleta Saturday. I should be a 4 by the last week of March so hopefully I can get one or two more races in with you lol. When are you upgrading?!
Old 03-02-09, 01:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stupid mother f***ing God Da*n trailer taking up half the stupid road. Ruined my sprint. I had to turn off my sprint with 30 yards to go and squeeze in... letting like 10 people go by. I still clipped the cone. Why was it parked so far from the curb?? live and learn. At least I avoided that crash right in front of me, and the fifteen water bottles strewn about the course.

EDIT: My finishing mistake was clearly my fault and I should have realized where the trailer was and taken an outside line, but it was still frustrating. I was at 35 MPH with legs left...

Last edited by captnfantastic; 03-02-09 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 02:21 AM
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear there was a fist fight after the 5's race today. Don't know anything other than that it was "over 20th place." That wasn't you, was it, Nick?

The 3/4 race was ********. That was my only option for the day since I couldn't stay til the afternoon and do the 3's instead. That's the worst kind of mixed category race there can be. It makes sense to mix the 4/5, but for obvious reasons they need to avoid mixing the 3/4's. Recipe for disaster.
Old 03-02-09, 02:25 AM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by captnfantastic
stupid mother f***ing God Da*n trailer taking up half the stupid road. Ruined my sprint. I had to turn off my sprint with 30 yards to go and squeeze in... letting like 10 people go by. I still clipped the cone. Why was it parked so far from the curb?? live and learn. At least I avoided that crash right in front of me, and the fifteen water bottles strewn about the course.

EDIT: My finishing mistake was clearly my fault and I should have realized where the trailer was and taken an outside line, but it was still frustrating. I was at 35 MPH with legs left...
I was on your ass for at least 3 laps today, I took a line down the center in the sprint but it got to sketchy to stay focused, I had no lead out it sucked.
Old 03-02-09, 08:45 AM
Robbie McEwen Wannabe

Bikes: Trek 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chucklehead
I hear there was a fist fight after the 5's race today. Don't know anything other than that it was "over 20th place." That wasn't you, was it, Nick?

The 3/4 race was ********. That was my only option for the day since I couldn't stay til the afternoon and do the 3's instead. That's the worst kind of mixed category race there can be. It makes sense to mix the 4/5, but for obvious reasons they need to avoid mixing the 3/4's. Recipe for disaster.
Yes, there was a fight. I jumped in to break it up after the punches were thrown.. A guy from Kahala approached a guy about being bumped during the race. A few words were said and the non-kahala guy decided to pop the kahala guy in the mouth. The Kahala guy punched him back. That's basically it...

Take that crap around the corner somewhere.. Doesnt belong at races!!!
Old 03-02-09, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chucklehead

+ millions. but I'll bet Cat 2s are saying "please dont mix those Cat 3s in with us".

Nick - glad you're geeked about racing. but please, dont sprint for 20th place.

fighting over bumping in a race = idiotic.
Old 03-02-09, 09:39 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Nice job, Nick! 20th is no walk in the park. It means you actually had a sprint in you. Now work on conserving energy and positioning yourself even better and you will be on the podium by the end of the year.
Old 03-02-09, 09:43 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
fighting over bumping in a race = idiotic.
Yeah... I got bumped near the end of my road race on Saturday. I saw out of the corner of my eye an arm coming toward me and then next thing I new I was shoved into the oncoming lane as a car was approaching. He apologized immediately, but from my perspective it seemed intentional so I was a little upset, but it quickly became obvious that it was an accident so I apologized. Later at dinner I came up to him and made sure everything was cool and we talked for a bit about the race.

Bottom line is that crap happens in races, there is no point to fighting about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.