Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Opinions wanted on new "classic" wheelset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I saw this wheelset and wondered if anyone could offer their opinion on it. The rims seem pretty solid, but I'm concerned about the hubs. They are Sovos. They get a lot of bad press from the fixie crowd, mainly due to stripping threads on skids, etc. I would not have that problem with this wheelset, of course.

Here is the link: https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=370128748790

The wheels would not get heavy mileage, but I would like something reasonably light and durable. Anyone have these wheels or know these hubs?

Last edited by PBR Streetgang; 03-03-09 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-02-09, 05:16 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
While I can't vouch for these wheels as I have not experienced them myself, I can say one thing:

All aluminum hubs used for "suicide-hub" fixie conversions are guaranteed to strip the hub threads.

-Kurt

Old 03-02-09, 05:24 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cudak888
While I can't vouch for these wheels as I have not experienced them myself, I can say one thing:

All aluminum hubs used for "suicide-hub" fixie conversions are guaranteed to strip the hub threads.

-Kurt
Kurt: I should have been more clear. The stripping of threads was on the Sovos track hub. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-03-09, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-Kurt
This is something I'm not used to seeing from you. not hating but I have used a "suicide hub" for about 6 years now and so far, no problem. I would say don't move that cog and I don't skip skid or skid at all for that matter as I'm old enough to not like being hard on equipment. Please respond as I'd like to hear you're reasons.
Old 03-03-09, 12:10 PM
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts

-Kurt
Is this a joke? This is just false.

The much bigger factor in stripping a hub is the quality of the cog. Stay away from cheap stamped steel cogs. Other than that, they are as unlikely to be stripped as a track hub. In fact, if a lockring is not properly tightened (and checked frequently), you have a MUCH higher risk of stripping a track hub.

So do tell, given that a cog threads on precisely the same way for a road hub and a track hub, what different forces are there on a road hub that would lead them to strip more easily??

jim
Old 03-03-09, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
I think that you should check out bicyclewheelwarehouse.com as they have some very good prices on some wheels built with very good components plus there has been a lot of very positive feedback on their builds here at BF. Those Ultegra/Open-Pro wheels for $240 are a screaming deal...
Old 03-03-09, 12:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, my thread has officially been hijacked! Any opinions on the wheels/hubs? How about the Quando hubs on Harris Cyclery's site? For all I know, they are probably made by the same manufacturer.
Old 03-03-09, 12:20 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
Stay away from cheap stamped steel cogs. Other than that, they are as unlikely to be stripped as a track hub.
Thank you Jim - was a bit hasty there. I should have clarified that it depends on the cog. If I may say so though, I believe the stripping of a hub has more to do with how many threads are on the cog that can be engaged on the hub. Those stamped steel jobs are too thin to engage enough.

-Kurt

Old 03-03-09, 12:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
I think that you should check out bicyclewheelwarehouse.com as they have some very good prices on some wheels built with very good components plus there has been a lot of very positive feedback on their builds here at BF. Those Ultegra/Open-Pro wheels for $240 are a screaming deal...
That looks nice, but I'm looking for 126mm rear spacing with a thread on freewheel (and I dont want to cold set). Plus, I'd like a classic look. That limits my choices somewhat (a lot).
Old 03-03-09, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
There are lots of real vintage wheels available at less cost. I would think you could get Mavic MA-40/G-40's laced to Record for around that price.