Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What model Olmo is this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What model Olmo is this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What model Olmo is this?

Any ideas? I have seen two other photos of this same frame/fork model on Flickr, but, no description. It has the most gorgeous bone-white pearl paint, minus where the previous owner slapped white paint on the chips and a water bottle braze repair.

It has panto chrome fork, chromed lower chainstays (best chrome I've ever seen), a braze on front DR and a brazed nipple for a tire pump on the headtube. Serial number on bottom is: 56-4508. I cannot for the life of me find hide nor hair about what model this is on the net. She has Olmo drops and an Olmo BB. She will be a beaut when all done.

Cheers for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olmost.JPG (97.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 03-02-09, 10:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no clue. All I know is I have a 1958 Olmo track that gets no respect at all due to her original paint. Nice bike, I like Olmos a lot!
Old 03-02-09, 10:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1958, wow. I just borrowed that book, "Cycling's Golden Age" - some awesome stories, bikes and pics in there. I love original paint. My bike is to ride and a little mystique and character adds 3mph to my speed. Unless a bike is a rust bucket, keep it original.
Old 03-02-09, 11:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is (was) a fully chromed bike under the paint, but the lugs and track ends were left unpainted and chromed. It is otherwise black with white and red banding on the seat tube. There are a few sections on the top tube where both the paint and chrome have lifted but I keep them oiled. A few friends insist that I paint the thing but I refuse. I don't want to paint it and continue to ride the hell out of it. I think it makes the bike gods happy.
Old 03-02-09, 11:20 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
page from catalog says: after 1984 Professionista model will have braze-on FD tab...my guess is that's what you have.
https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/olmo3/4.jpg or maybe an updated version of the Competition model as shown.
Old 03-02-09, 11:36 PM
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
It looks just like my Olmo Firenza. Not nearly in as nice shape as yours, but same pearl paint & chrome details. Mine came with a black anodized Galli group & 6 speed Helicomatic rear hub. It was a $25 thrift store find a while back & is near the top of the projects list. I'll see if I can get a pic up soon.
Old 03-02-09, 11:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw that catalog Unworthy, it's got different chrome on the chainstays and no brazed nipple for the tire pump in head tube, but, I agree, it's similiar, maybe I have a version of that. I'd be stoked if it was SL. My guess is the 56-4508 means 56cm, 1984, frame #508. Who knows, this is like finding a needle in a haystack...
Old 03-02-09, 11:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha ha, $25 ??!! I'd say that was your best thrift store find ever. If they get any better than that, I don't want to hear about it.
Old 03-02-09, 11:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Straightblock, what does your frame tubing sticker say? I assume Columbus.
Old 03-02-09, 11:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My eventual build will be all Croce d'Aun gruppo (with delta brakes) with Campy Omega Strada Hardox wheels and Cinelli Criterium bars. Unoriginal maybe, but, should be nice looking and run well.
Old 03-03-09, 09:12 AM
Fast Old Guy

Originally Posted by Wavey Davey
Ha ha, $25 ??!! I'd say that was your best thrift store find ever. If they get any better than that, I don't want to hear about it.
Then I won't tell you about the $15 Serotta. I know, pics or it didn't happen, but it's posted in the archived Catch of the Day thread somewhere.

Originally Posted by Wavey Davey
Straightblock, what does your frame tubing sticker say? I assume Columbus.
Columbus. Most of the decal is still there. Pics tonight, I hope.
Old 03-03-09, 10:32 PM
Fast Old Guy

As promised, here is my Olmo Firenze:

Nearly twins, mine is s/n 56-4502. There was a lot of surface rust on the fork and some on the stays, but fortunately no really deep pitting. It cleaned up pretty well with naval jelly (before I learned of oxalic acid.). At 56cm c-t it's right on the edge of too small for me, but I think it will be ok. I had a link to an old catalog that showed the Firenze with the Galli group, but lost it. I'll post it later if I can find it.

Last edited by Straightblock; 03-03-09 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-04-09, 11:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SB,

Nice ride. Mine has the different head tube decal and no seat tube or top tube decals, but, I reckon they wore off. I would not be surprised I guess if these things are 1984 models. Mine is in unbelievable shape rust wise, not a spot of red on it.

Yup, they are deffo cousins, if not siblings. I'll put a pic up when all done, in a few days. The paint colour on these is magic.