Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What kind of warm ups should I do ?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 06:16 PM

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, the problem I have, is that when I take off from my house, I inmediately encounter a steep hill. My body has had no time to warm up to this hill, which causes my heart rate to go very high and my muscles burn off way more energy than they should.
Yesterday, I did my tipical ride, climbed the hill I just talked to you about, did somewhere between 8-10 miles of riding after that, which include a long steep hill. This is quite a torturous hill, and when I was near the top, my left leg started cramping. I had to pull aside and wait out the pain for a while. I'm talking about road hills BTW, even though I ride them on a Mountain Bike.
So I'm wondering what kind of warm up routine I should do to prevent this from happening again. I don't know anything about warming up, so I really need your help.
Just to let you know about my physical condition: I do about 20 miles during a tipical ride, takes me about 2 hours. I'm 5'6" and 193 lbs.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-06-09, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
star jumps to get your heart beating faster?
Old 03-06-09, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a steep climb from my house (one direction- the other is a steep descent). It's ok if I just go a little slower to start out with. Put it in a lower gear.
Old 03-06-09, 10:51 PM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Zig-zag up the hill spinning lowest gear if you don't have much traffic. That's how I warm up.
Old 03-13-09, 12:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running is the best form of warm up, as it will not only help in increasing the heart beat but it also warms up the muscles of the entire body and also helps in cutting that extra fat your body is having. Cycling can also be one.
Old 03-16-09, 07:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zeo...... I have the same issue. I live in a housing addition on the edge of town, built near a creek, and no matter which direction I go from my house, it's a climb. One way is steeper (but shorter) than the other, so I go the way that is less steep (but longer). I've found that as long as I stretch my leg muscles really good before I leave, it helps a lot. I also have a stationary recumbent bike that I sometimes put in a few minutes on before leaving, which helps bring the heart rate up. I think, as has been said, that any kind of exercise (such as running) will help. I still wish I could pedal a few miles to warm up on the bike before encountering hills, but I, as you, have no choice.