Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-04, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrades

hey, i just bought an 04 brodie brat, i have around 400$ CAD after my paycheck to do first round of upgrades just wondering what would be good to start off with, i'm thinking maybe bash guard and rims? New to mtb was into bmx.
Old 05-09-04, 08:59 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Definately rim. What fork do you have. That might be worth upgrading as well as you were into bmx....
Old 05-09-04, 09:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If i were to go about upgrading my rims what would you say would be a good one to choose since the stock rims already have some wobble to them. Right know i'm running the stock MARZOCCHI MZ Comp 100mm fork. It seems a bit plush for my liking.
Old 05-09-04, 10:41 PM
Keepin' it real since '84

Bikes: Jamis Komodo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bartic
If i were to go about upgrading my rims what would you say would be a good one to choose since the stock rims already have some wobble to them. Right know i'm running the stock MARZOCCHI MZ Comp 100mm fork. It seems a bit plush for my liking.
i have the same fork.. change it. its very springy
Old 05-09-04, 11:49 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How heavy are you...and really marzocchi's feel springy as they are a plush fork with more sag then, say, a rock shox. I hop on a rock shox and I think they are too harsh with no damping
Old 05-10-04, 05:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what would be a fork betwen marzocchi and rock shox, i've seen some bike around with a smaller back rim than the front is there a reason for this or not? Any suggestion on rims
Old 05-10-04, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the wheels can be trued, although they are not the best, they're o.k.

If you're from BMX, you probably ride hard and jump whatever you can. I'd recommend a heavier duty fork like the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper I or II. I'd go ahead and get the one with a 20 mm thru axle and get a new front wheel as well. You see, with the 20 mm thru axle fork, you'll need a new 20 mm front hub and you might as well get a DECENT front wheel while you're at it. I personally like Mavic rims. My current wheels are Sun Rhyno Lites and so far they've held up pretty well to my abusive riding. Atomic Laboratories makes an incredibly strong rim, not to mention Azonic AND Arrow as well.

Still, my first choice would be a Mavic rim, laced to the new hub with 14 gage (straight) Wheelsmith or DT spokes (I like DT better, but Wheelsmith are very good).

If you have a choice, go with 36 spoke vs. the standard 32. I went with 32 and wished I'd pressed the issue more to stick with 36.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 05-10-04, 02:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thx i'll look into that