Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A decent ride -- Needham to Hampton Beach -- approx 85 mi

Rt27 to Rt 62 in Concord to Beverly -- 1A through Hamilton,Whenham, Ipswitch to Newberryport
over bridge to Salsbury,Hampton -- traffic wise the worst part was in the Middleton Rt114 area
and downtown Beverly

not a today ride -- just one of those northeastern area rides

Last edited by pokey1; 05-07-10 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-08-10, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by pokey1
A decent ride -- Needham to Hampton Beach -- approx 85 mi

Rt27 to Rt 62 in Concord to Beverly -- 1A through Hamilton,Whenham, Ipswitch to Newberryport
over bridge to Salsbury,Hampton -- traffic wise the worst part was in the Middleton Rt114 area
and downtown Beverly

not a today ride -- just one of those northeastern area rides
Nice to see another North Shore ride listed; see recent one, posts #266 ff. I really like Rte 62 and have ridden it in segments from Maynard to Danvers. Another favorite ride, when we vacationed in Rockport for a few years, was riding through Danvers, often from Boston, through Hamilton, Wenham and Ipswich on to Gloucester and Rockport. When passing through Danvers to or from Boston, I invariably get lost. On one trip to Newburyport, my wife and I actually ended up scurrying across Rte 128 with our bikes.

Was your trip a round trip and if not, how did you get back? Or did you? I note you post from Maine. How did you get to Needham with the bike if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-08-10 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-09-10, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Nice to see another North Shore ride listed; see recent one, posts #266 ff. I really like Rte 62 and have ridden it in segments from Maynard to Danvers. Another favorite ride, when we vacationed in Rockport for a few years, was riding through Danvers, often from Boston, through Hamilton, Wenham and Ipswich on to Gloucester and Rockport. When passing through Danvers to or from Boston, I invariably get lost. On one trip to Newburyport, my wife and I actually ended up scurrying across Rte 128 with our bikes.

Was your trip a round trip and if not, how did you get back? Or did you? I note you post from Maine. How did you get to Needham with the bike if you don't mind me asking?
i have stayed overnight and rode back next day a couple of times -- met gf and driven back -

i am sorry i lost your PM -- i accidently deleted it not used to how these things work yet -- sorry resend if you like --- I moved up here 3 yrs ago
Old 05-10-10, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by pokey1
i have stayed overnight and rode back next day a couple of times -- met gf and driven back -

i am sorry i lost your PM -- i accidently deleted it not used to how these things work yet -- sorry resend if you like --- I moved up here 3 yrs ago
Hi pokey 1,

Thanks for your reply. My PM was just to let you know that I sent a reply and quoted your prior post.

BTW and off topic to this thread, it's my custom to often send a PM to a subscriber of a thread I reply to if I reply to and quote their post, to let them know and hopefully continue the chat. Does anyone else do that? I don't really want to start a thread about that question.

BTW, pokey 1, is your screen name a play on words ("pokey one")? An 85 mile one way round trip sounds pretty ambitious.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-10-10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 10:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi pokey 1,

Thanks for your reply. My PM was just to let you know that I sent a reply and quoted your prior post.

BTW and off topic to this thread, it's my custom to often send a PM to a subscriber of a thread I reply to if I reply to and quote their post, to let them know and hopefully continue the chat. Does anyone else do that? I don't really want to start a thread about that question.

BTW, pokey 1, is your screen name a play on words ("pokey one")? An 85 mile one way round trip sounds pretty ambitious.
no it took me about 71/2 hrs -- just a 13 / 14 mph type -- sloooow -- wpt
Old 05-11-10, 01:07 PM
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Went to the Arnold Arboretum via the Emerald Necklace on Sunday to see the lilacs.
Despite the beauty of the parklands, I do not consider this to be a viable bike route,
and next time will be cycling on the road if I need to get to the Arboretum.

Last edited by Veloria; 05-11-10 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 03:10 PM

Bikes: old Merlin, Santana Beyond, & a mommy bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pretty pictures, Veloria!

Slow ride today on my usual Concord, Sudbury, Carlisle route following a very tough run yesterday. Lots of dead turtles and the start of Abandoned Bungee Cord season has begun.
Old 05-11-10, 11:41 PM
Lug Princess

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinggrrrl
Slow ride today on my usual Concord, Sudbury, Carlisle route following a very tough run yesterday. Lots of dead turtles and the start of Abandoned Bungee Cord season has begun.
Dead turtles! Why?
I wish I could cycle in that area all the time, without having to ride for 45 minutes just to get out of Boston.
Old 05-13-10, 01:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turtles are just relatively slow compared to the cars. Lots of wetlands around here. Anytime I come across a live turtle trying to make its way across, I stop and give a hand (the rule of thumb is to always put them on the side of the road they are headed towards). Except for snappers ~ they are too mean.
Old 05-13-10, 08:22 PM
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Been almost a week since I got out, been moving my sister to her new house. But I was able to sneak some time after work for my 30 mile regular route.
Old 05-13-10, 09:51 PM

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having ridden these lanes today, they are AWESOME!

https://bostonbiker.org/2010/05/11/ne...on-comm-ave-2/
https://bostonbiker.org/2010/05/13/mo...ve-bike-lanes/

Commonwealth Avenue from the Bowker Overpass to the Public Garden now has (left hand) lanes and bike boxes. This includes taking an entire lane from the Mass Ave underpass for exclusive use by cycles. At Mass ave there is a short lane (the city eliminated a traffic lane to make it 1 auto and 1 cycle lane for about half a block) on the right hand side to help with those turning off Mass Ave to only have to cross one lane to join into the new left hand lane coming up from the Mass Ave underpass

The bike boxes are rather large in front of the new stop lines and span the entire width of the street to assist in right hand turns. The largest box is under the Bowker to help with an otherwise tough right to left lane shift under the Bowker. The entire stretch under the Bowker is getting the green ‘magic carpet’ lane treatment in between the lanes painted earlier.

Beacon Street from Mass Ave to Kenmore Square also received lanes today. Haven't ridden those yet.
Old 05-15-10, 03:41 PM
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

What up with the wind ? went out after work today for a nice windy 50 mile ride, do a few errands get home shower and start to mow the lawn and the wind is gone. I was hoping the wind would keep the bugs off me, so that plan backfired but at least the lawn is done.
Old 05-16-10, 05:38 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I moved my commute mileage to the max so it is 23 miles each way now. I love it especially this time of year. I didn't think I would be able to move the mileage up so soon. I would love to make it 5 days a week & I am sure I will work up to that but 3 and 4 days I feel great as long as I eat.
Old 05-16-10, 05:48 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
if you guys ever get tired of watching for green line trollies and opening doors - head west

did my new favorite 2 hr 30 mile loop yesterday stow; carlisle; bedford; concord; acton to maynard

28.6 miles
33.4 max
16.3 avrg
1 hr 45 min saddle time

wore my trisuit with just a yellow jersey - I think it helped my time. stopped about midway at the carlisle general store for a snack and water then I was off again.
Old 05-16-10, 05:54 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
did my new favorite 2 hr 30 mile loop yesterday stow; carlisle; bedford; concord; acton to maynard
I did 45.15 miles from my house in Waltham to Carlisle and back. Windy but nice!
Old 05-16-10, 06:00 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

jealous of your miles and YES it was windy. I wasn't happy about that but it was good to ride with so little clothing for a change
Old 05-16-10, 06:10 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Yes, it was good to ride in nice weather!

I meant to ask, how does that loop go? Particularly the Acton and Maynard parts?

And if you went through Carlisle, what was going on at that general store? A club ride combined with a wine tasting? Lotta' bike oin one place!

Last edited by jimmuller; 05-16-10 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Never think of everything the first time!
Old 05-16-10, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
And if you went through Carlisle, what was going on at that general store? A club ride combined with a wine tasting? Lotta' bike oin one place!
There isn't much to do here in Carlisle. Ferns is a popular meet-up place for residents and passers-by, especially since they added the patio with tables and chairs. Portable potties out back are popular with the cyclists.

The sandwiches are delicious but not something I would want to take on during a bike ride.
Old 05-16-10, 06:37 PM

didn't know about the porta potties - thanks for that info!
I usually get somethign small like fig newtons and juice or water, etc

from Concord I take 62 all the way to Maynard, but do a side road to get me to summer street. it's just a tiny tip of Acton that I pass through over by Acton Ford
Old 05-16-10, 06:51 PM
Life Is Good

Not quite as windy as yesterday but still enough to make me work a little more than I wanted. I went out and did my old climbing route out of Fitchburg for 35 fun filled miles.

Hey Timber_8: Looks like your getting to log some good miles in ?
Old 05-25-10, 10:33 AM
on a road near you...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on the bike for the first time this week after my "car vs. bike" incident on May 4th. Did a new club ride (for me) with NSC last night up in Topfield. It was a chance to shake out the cobwebs as I tried to suck on the last wheel of the fast pack. I was doing pretty with the 26mph paceline, well until my crank decided to loosen up on me (I think it might be crash-related) forcing me to stop. By the time I stopped and sorted things out, the rabbit group was long gone. I figured I'd TT it and make my way back into one of the lead groups, catching and dropping wheels as I went. Unfortunately, the first group I caught back up with decided to do a different route than the rest of the club. Not know where the heck I was, I settled in on a nice and easy pace with the group and took in the scenery. Next time I'll check my crank before leaving the parking lot.

Rode into Boston nice and early this morning. Not sure if I am looking forward to the 90 degree temps on my ride home.
Old 05-26-10, 04:34 PM

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
molyway,
Awesome recovery. You and Lance.

Riding in the heat. I dragged and felt a lot slower than I actually rode.
This weekend shoulod be some very fine riding weather. Be safe on the roads.
Old 05-26-10, 05:52 PM
Life Is Good

Glad to hear from you SBP ! For me the hotter it gets the better I ride, the last two days have been the best on the bike this year. Can't wait to get a nice long stretch of hot humid weather.
Old 05-27-10, 07:38 AM

Zipp,
Looks like we'll get at least something likeable for both of us this week end. I'm contemplating Grafton south to to Cumberland today.

Pokey and Jim have been talking up some fine north of Boston rides that look tempting.
Old 05-27-10, 06:32 PM

Veloria,
Whistful peotry riding through Arnol. You've got to try the Boston Bike ride! The one-day-a-year- traffic control tour touching on Boston's finest rides is uplifting. https://hubonwheels.kintera.org/faf/h...?ievent=335715

Buena Suerte on your campaign for bicycling like Monet dancing in sun dappled parks. I'm working on a 50+ year old Phillips 3 speed to swoop me back to a text-free time of action and interaction. Can you imagine biking to meeting places and group rides to a pub or picnic talking about issues of the day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.