Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

9-speed BarCon shifter w/ Sram x.9

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-11-09, 05:53 AM
LBS Employee/Commuter

Bikes: 2007 Trek Soho, 2010 Gary Fisher Monona w/ Xtracycle FreeRadical, 198X Facet BioTour 2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I converted my flat bar 1x9 into a drop bar single speed for the winter and like the feel a lot better. As spring arrives I've been longing for about 6 more gears so I want to put the 9 speed cassette back and derailleur on. I thought about using a mount extentsion and put my flat bat shifter on that. I think it would be ugly and cumbersome, though.

What BarCon shifter would work with a Sram x.9 9-speed RD?
Old 03-11-09, 07:25 AM
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Since I don't believe that SRAM make any 9-speed bar-end shifters, your best option is to go with a Shimano bar-end shifter, then use a Jtek shiftmate to make the cable pull correct for you SRAM X-9 rear derailleur.

However, the shiftmate is about US$40 and a bit of a hassle. For the same price you could get a Tiagra rear derailleur instead, and for a bit more than that you could get one of more comparable quality to your X-9 (and you could try to sell the X-9 to offset the cost).
Old 03-11-09, 10:09 AM

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
As above... might be a pain to get the X9 to shift with any available bar end shifters... I was looking at the friction-only bar end shifters available through rivbike.com (rivendell) and they claim the shifters will work with any available derailleurs except SRAM MTB style derailleurs- the ESP system requires more cable pull per shift so I assume the total amount of cable you have to pull to get to all the rear cogs is simply too great for available bar cons.

Swapping to a Shimano rear derailleur (or SRAM 10 speed or other derailleur that is compatible with available bar cons) is probably the easiest option.
Old 03-23-09, 08:05 AM
LBS Employee/Commuter

Bikes: 2007 Trek Soho, 2010 Gary Fisher Monona w/ Xtracycle FreeRadical, 198X Facet BioTour 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found some Ultegra BarCon shifters that are friction compatible for the right side. Would they be able to make this work? I know it is a different pull ratio between the two but I don't know which pulls more. If say a 10degree turn of the barcon pulls a Shimano RD 2 gears over, would a SRAM RD move 4 over or one?
Old 03-23-09, 08:25 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
It is more likely that you will run out of shifter travel before you Move a SRAM ESP shifter through all of its range. Other than that, most if not all Shimano Barcons have an optional friction mode for the right/rear shifter.
Old 03-23-09, 05:11 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
It is more likely that you will run out of shifter travel before you Move a SRAM ESP shifter through all of its range. Other than that, most if not all Shimano Barcons have an optional friction mode for the right/rear shifter.
I've heard of people running SRAM ESP derailleurs with Shimano bar-end shifters by running the cable through a Travel Agent to get the extra cable pull. Friction shifting, of course:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-23-09, 06:17 PM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I've heard of people running SRAM ESP derailleurs with Shimano bar-end shifters by running the cable through a Travel Agent to get the extra cable pull. Friction shifting, of course:
If cable pull is the issue, a travel agent is the solution.

I've never actually seen one used for a shifter, but if they work for brakes, they ought to work for shifters.
Old 03-25-09, 08:00 AM
LBS Employee/Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to fabricate a 2:1/1:2 travel agent... Maybe. Debating this plus barcon purchase (can only find pairs, not right side only) versus putting the flat bar back on. Decisions... decisions...