Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

N+1 Newbie starts to see the light.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 10:10 PM
karma is my higher power

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia Elite, '84 Trek 620, '84 Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well after weighing the options for a bit and reading others experiences I came to a decision that I was comfortable with (pun intended). Today I put a 08 Sequoia Elite on layaway.

Since starting to ride for weight loss and to improve my health a year ago I have definitely been bitten by the cycling bug. I started out with a Giant Sedona DX, which was perfect to get me into cycling. It gave me the confidence that; I could ride with my health/pain issues, the bike would hold up to my weight (major point for me), and that the benefits far out weighed the cons of choosing to try cycling. I then started reading the forums here, doh. And I learned enough to be dangerous (to my pocket book). On the spur of the moment one night I found a used older Crossroads Cruz and decided that it would be a good idea to buy that and then "build" it up, to save money right? Well I got the bike home and the hangover set in shortly there after. I realized I didn't really understand why I wanted a different bike and what I really needed to make me happier. But before I could come to my senses I saw the PERFECT bike on CraigsList, a flat black Cypress in the same size I had the Sedona in. So I figured I'd buy that, its got everything I need, right? Wrong.

So at this point I had three bikes and was still looking to build/upgrade. But i didn't have what I needed or wanted. I was looking at a wheel set, different bars, changing out the gearing/shifting. Sure i could do it and afford to over time, but would it save money or end up with the best option? This, I started to see, was the problem. Yes, I was trying to be fiscally wise and still get what I wanted/needed but the problem was I did not know what I needed only what I wanted. So with some advice from the good people here and some reading and lots of analyzing I realized that in the long run and short term too, I would be better off making a purchase to address a majority of my needs and that when I do upgrade, it will be to make the bike better not to make it work.

So instead of dropping money on wheels, bars, fork conversion and misc other things to make the Cypress work like I think I want it too, I put the Sequoia Elite on layaway. Layaway will allow me to secure a good deal on the bike I want now and still be responsible (blech!) by having the ability to wait until after the funds I had planned to use on a new bike are available rather than using rent money to buy it now. It also allows me to use what little funds I do have now to live off and pay bills instead of spending every penny on attempts to make something work.

So its a 2008 Sequoia Elite in the gray/silver paint. List was $1250 and I paid (will) $895, I think that's a decent price. 90 days till she's mine!!!

I'm soooo happy now! I have that consumerism buzz going, haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sequoiaelite.jpg (60.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-12-09, 03:51 AM

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
smart choice, enjoy the new ride.
Old 03-12-09, 08:43 AM

Bikes: 2020 Veego 750, 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to the Sequoia lover club!
You will enjoy your bike. Have fun!
Old 03-12-09, 09:47 AM
A shrinking member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we might be the ones propping up the economy. Maybe if the government got more people into cycling they would get the bug and we'd end this recession sooner.

Seriously though, nice looking bike. This may be a bit blasphemous, but are you going to sell the other two bikes you bought?
Old 03-12-09, 09:55 AM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can never have too many bikes, although it is easy enough to find those that disagree with this idea.
Old 03-12-09, 11:57 AM

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike. 90 days will never drag on so long, unless you did time
Old 03-12-09, 12:57 PM

Bikes: 2014 Salsa Vaya 2, 2013 Trek Stache 8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6 Months ago I started out with an old MTB that I bought 10 years ago and never rode. You can see that its a different story now by looking at my signature. And I find myself saying "Ok, I'll just get those Deep V's and that'll be all I ever need." But then I HAVE to upgrade my c'dale to Ultegra so both bikes are 10 speed so I can swap wheels. Then there's those pedals. . . and I'm not too fond of the saddle on the Fuji now that I think about it. . . and it would look much better with white bottle cages and. . . But I don't have a problem!

I also think I will eventually NEED a carbon bike AND a titanium bike. But I STILL don't have a problem. . .

Last edited by gearhead82; 03-12-09 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-12-09, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by txvintage
You can never have too many bikes, although it is easy enough to find those that disagree with this idea.
You've been talking to my wife, haven't you?

OP: That's a great bike, congrats!
Old 03-12-09, 01:59 PM
karma is my higher power

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia Elite, '84 Trek 620, '84 Shovelhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by </intolerance>
I think we might be the ones propping up the economy. Maybe if the government got more people into cycling they would get the bug and we'd end this recession sooner.

Seriously though, nice looking bike. This may be a bit blasphemous, but are you going to sell the other two bikes you bought?
I think they should give a tax credit for anyone buying a new bike, they do it for hybrid cars and those still emit green house gases (just less). Bikes are emissions free, unless you've had mexican or broccoli recently.

I have the Sedona on CL and the older Crossroads Cruz. Debating weather I will sell the cypress or not. I think I will end up keeping either the Sedona or Cypress for back up duty and a loaner ride for friends. It will all depend on if I get interest.

Anyone interested can feel free to PM me for details.

Last edited by w00die; 03-12-09 at 02:02 PM.