Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Big Tex reporting in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Tex reporting in...

Hello to all. I am brand new to this forum and look forward to restarting my biking ways of the past. I am 35 years old and 5' 11" and weigh 280lbs. I just bought a used bike today and plan to start riding our hike/bike trails immediately. Is there any advice on how to maximize my riding to be the most beneficial to losing weight? I've attached a pic of the bike I bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hardrock1.jpg (59.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-13-09, 11:28 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check wheels. I found mine were too light--course what was I thinking tryna do stairs and off curbs, and found out belatedly rims were only rated to 65 psi and I was doing 75 psi.

Got 36-hole Salsa Gordo. Stayed true for a long time before needing any spoke adjustments.
Old 03-13-09, 11:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!!!
Tips? Start slowly, but regularly (also increase distances slowly). After a while you will even get a kick out of riding in messy weather.
These old-style mountain bikes are exactly the ticket - you can do anything with them. Congratulations.
Old 03-14-09, 12:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lutz
Welcome!!!
Tips? Start slowly, but regularly (also increase distances slowly). After a while you will even get a kick out of riding in messy weather.
These old-style mountain bikes are exactly the ticket - you can do anything with them. Congratulations.
I was going to say the same thing. I started out at 5 miles, doing 8 mph when weight was 300. I worked up to greater distances, 20, then increased speed (this came pretty naturally as I got into shape), then more distance, then more speed at that distance, then more distance... Like, after a year, I do 40-50 at 12.5-13 in light winds (rare here on the plains) on an MTB, or 16-17 on road bike, but I prefer MTB, because roads and streets here are crappy, and I'm not into fixing flats, and since my goal is weight loss, a heavy bike means more cals burned on those hills.

Try to ride at least 4 days per week, or 5 if you have time. 6 or 7 isn't necessary. Recovery days are beneficial.

If you ride in traffic, don't forget to wear bright clothing, and get a superflash blinkie. It helps wake up drivers even in daytime.

If you can discipline yourself to count calories, and burn more than you eat, weight will come off. Otherwise your body may send signal to eat more to maintain weight it is used to. Although, even if this happens, fat is getting converted to muscle.
Old 03-14-09, 12:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, I've dropped 70 pounds since last February. I went from clinically obese to merely obese. Now I'm just about exiting the obese category: 2 more pounds and I'm in the "overweight" zone. That will sill leave 35 to get to normal, but I'm 2/3 there!

So, be positive. The first 20 pounds are hardest, but as your stamina builds, you'll ride longer and burn many more calories, and if you watch your diet, the pounds will melt away. Don't be surprised if you lose 40 pounds by late summer.
Old 03-14-09, 01:14 AM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey Tex, congrats on the bike! If you are going to be riding more on pavement or concrete, a tire swap may be in order. Other than that, she looks ready to go.

Start slow. We didn't gain our weight in a day and it's not going away in a day. Over cooking it early will bring some pain. Pain is a normal thing for the legs and butt, but if you over do it the mere sight of the bike can be a bad thing. That's not good. Find a moderate distance and speed you can do now and enjoy it. As you ride more your distance and speed will improve.

The greatest thing about this group of folks is that a new riders 3 mile ride is celebrated just as much, if not more, than seasoned riders first 100 mile ride. It's sincere too. Any ride is a good ride, and all the miles happen one at a time, so enjoy getting out there and keep us updated.

Where are you in Texas? That pics looks like it could have been taken outside of RBM is Frisco!
Old 03-14-09, 03:17 AM
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 855 Posts
Hey, Tex. I started in a similar place, and lost a lot of weight, and worked up to some big mileage. It's just a long, slow progression from wherever you're at to where you want to be.

Counting calories works. It is a lot easier to stay in the calorie budget if you severely limit refined sugar. You'll be less hungry less often without it.

Commuting is a great way to get your miles. It helps you commit to a series of rides during the week. It also helps with the time budget; some of your riding time would have been spent sitting in traffic anyway. Good luck.
Old 03-14-09, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not much I can add to the excellent advice above. You've purchased a great bike, just ride it often and enjoy it. Congrats and welcome!
Old 03-14-09, 06:38 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Go Slow to start. Ride safe.
500 miles for your legs to get ready for fast riding.

Take on your problems one at a time.

You will have some.
Ride and eat less if you can.
Lost 33 lbs just from riding many miles.

Old 03-14-09, 07:15 AM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yep...start easy. Rule: the longer you spend on the bike, the more calories you'll burn. But first, ya gotta get there: let your body adapt to the new demands. If you feel any pain in your joints (knees/ankles), slow down immediately and/or back off on the distance/time you're riding.

Then, when your body can handle it, increase the time/distance you're riding. General consensus is about 10% increase per week.

Last, watch what you eat. For instance, no more sodas or condiments.
Old 03-14-09, 07:36 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Welcome! And for advice, I have nothing to offer but a repeat of what other posters have provided.

Old 03-14-09, 07:53 AM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
welcome... take it easy and dont get discouraged it will only hurt for a little while. then it gets easier day by day. before you know it you will be doing wheelies and endos and making the teenagers go wow.......or not