Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Afternoon Thunder Storms.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Afternoon Thunder Storms.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 10:54 AM
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a question? If I'm riding near a tree (over its root base) when it gets struck by lighting. Will I get the shock of my life? Is there enough rubber on the tires to insulate me? I've read reports of several cows being killed at once this way while they were standing next to a tree.

This might be a good question for the "Myth Busters" so we can watch Adam and Jamie get the shock of their life.
Old 05-18-04, 02:05 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gojohnnygo.
I got a question? If I'm riding near a tree (over its root base) when it gets struck by lighting. Will I get the shock of my life? Is there enough rubber on the tires to insulate me? I've read reports of several cows being killed at once this way while they were standing next to a tree.

This might be a good question for the "Myth Busters" so we can watch Adam and Jamie get the shock of their life.
Yes I believe, moisture considered in air. Flash burn and possibly shrapnel injuries if the tree explodes.
Also it is A>C so its up\down really fast, could go up you,the bike-over to the tree.

All water in the path is instantly boiled (the noise)-tree limbs wet, explode.

The tree is taller-easier? conductor for the path. It not you.
Versus open field with metal \golf.

You would wreck bad. Klien would possibly make the move, post a brag.
A SS'r that JUST happened to be out mtb for the first time in 3 yrs- odds-would get toasted fer shure.
He would be eventually o.k, but the messenger bag might have a burn hole or 2.
Those guys don't get breaks, they make em. God bless you guys.

Thank you Mr.Science.

From my limited knowledge of lightning.

Last edited by jeff williams; 05-18-04 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-18-04, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't brush off the lightning danger so quickly-----a few years back a guy was riding one of the urban trails here---the lightning strike blew his helmet to pieces and basically cooked his brain in his skull---needless to say----he was killed on the spot---now there's a nice little plaque on the side of the trail where it happened.

The funny thing about that day is that is was mostly sunny with just FEW clouds---and maybe a few drops coming from them---and he still got nailed. Point is---it doesn't have to be a really bad storm for lightning to occur.
Old 05-18-04, 02:40 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Mr.Science-
We request info as to the temp of lightning.
Thankyou.
Jef.
Old 05-18-04, 02:44 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff williams
Dear Mr.Science-
We request info as to the temp of lightning.
Thankyou.
Jef.
approximately 30,000 K.

you're welcome.
Old 05-18-04, 02:49 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Mr.Science...um, can you relate that to something I understand.
Thankyou.
Old 05-18-04, 02:50 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff williams
Dear Mr.Science...um, can you relate that to something I understand.
Thankyou.
Yes, A source described and I quote "The air near a lightning strike is heated to 50,000 degrees F hotter than the surface of the sun!"

Very, very hot.

You're welcome.
Old 05-18-04, 03:03 PM
Crank Crushing Redneck

Bikes: Bikes are environmentally damaging

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It keeps me cool. I just keep riding.

I won't start a ride in rain but I won't run from rain when already riding.
Old 05-18-04, 10:02 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might well get shocked indirectly if you are too close to the object struck directly by lightning. The strength of the current is attenuated by the ground, but it's possible still to be injured or killed in this way. This is the situation in which rubber tires/shoes/ground mattress can help reduce the shock to you, unlike a direct lightning strike against which those things are completely ineffective.

If you're out in the open and can't get in-- if you're camping or something-- and lighting starts you should be close to the tallest object nearby, but not too close. Sit on your butt or squat on your feet, rather than putting your head on the ground.
Old 07-28-05, 03:42 PM
5200 Miles From Home

Bikes: Trek 7000 ZX, Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a question? If I'm riding near a tree (over its root base) when it gets struck by lighting. Will I get the shock of my life? Is there enough rubber on the tires to insulate me?
The rubber will definitely not insulate you. In fact, the rubber in car tires is not enough to insulate you. The reason you are safe in a car has nothing to do with the tires. Air is also an insulator and almost as good as rubber. The bolt just travelled through 2 miles of air, so a few inches of rubber doesn't mean anything. It's also been said that you are in a Faraday cage (for metal cars, not so true for convertables or fiberglass/plastic cars). But the Faraday cage only works with static electricity, when a bolt of lightning hits, it is moving quite rapidly. So the real reason you are safe in your car is something known as the "skin effect". Lightning behaves like a short burst of of very high frequency alternating current. The skin effect has to do with the magnetic field of the AC pushing the current to outside of a conductor. Thus the current flows on the outside of the car and into the ground. Since the current would be flowing on the outside of your bike, and you are on the outside, you are not protected by this effect.
Old 07-28-05, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It poured rain on Tuesday. I couldn't wait to go out in it. Had the time of my life as we're in the middle of a very bad drought in Chicagoland!
Old 07-28-05, 04:46 PM
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on, the lighting just jumped across the air from a cloud in the sky, you think a inch of rubber is going to phase it?

Just ride fast. Crazy fast.

Originally Posted by Matthew A Brown
I might be completely wrong, but doesn't having them non-conducting tires help at all? Electricity needs SOME kind of circuit, right?

Even still, nothing beats riding through those tstorms. Just realize you're going to get absolutely disgusting, and that cleanup will take a little longer... good times.

cheers

matt