Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

E-Bike----> thoughts

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

E-Bike----> thoughts

Old 03-15-09, 04:58 PM
newbie- Dave in Philly

Bikes: old schwinn stingray- schwinn moab- schwinn 10 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-Bike----> thoughts

this is the E-bike- an american - chinese colabereation-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TavFzq1i6E

what do you all think?

Last edited by The Remix; 03-16-09 at 07:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-15-09, 07:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Informercial. Same thing over and over and over and over again.
Old 03-15-09, 09:04 PM

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's hard to say since they give no information that is useful.
Old 03-15-09, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If Marigo the "Expert of stable character" says so (minute 3:19), it must be an awesome production ;-)

Seriously, there are times when I would not mind to have an electric boost for a minute or two and a LIPO battery + brushless motor setup totaling about 1lb can easily provide 300W for 5-10 minutes (they are popular in RC models).
Old 03-16-09, 08:23 AM
newbie- Dave in Philly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just asking as a general idea what you thought- It is electric but more so a folder. So even though there is not a lot of usable info and it is an english speaking narrator that is speaking in hokie chinese expressions and even an accent of sorts (which I thought was really funny and annoying at the same time) just as an idea I was asking what you thought-

-Do you think it's a good idea?
-Is there a future in this? Is there a global market for them or do you think it is just a thing that might do business in china?
- Do you think they are something that you would use?
- Do you feel that it is a cheat making it mostly a crank powered bike but then having a motor also?
- Anyone else know of similar folders like this one or better?

on a side note/question

I almost bought this bike for 50 dollars U.S. The guy sold it the day I was driving 20 minutes away to look @ it- they knew I was going there that afternoon- anyhow It was obvious they stole bikes and sold then after repainting them or just fixing them up only- their were bikes all through out their 15 foot fenced backyard (city) and the second room you go into in the house was full of bikes (15-18) all being "worked on."

My question- Is this an R20 ? I know the picture isn't close up but was hoping you Pros would be able to pick up on what one this bike is

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12271882@N08/3359255733/
Old 03-16-09, 09:40 AM

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it a good idea? In the U.S., I don't think so for the most part. A folder is so useful because it can be brought on to a bus or train easily so you don't need to go too far on a folder. I have a electric recumbent and I find it useful if I am hauling a large heavy trailer behind me or I need to get somewhere fast. I use my folder when I am going longer distances (20-30 miles) and so need to use the bus. I live in an area that is quite rural and if the bus gets me within 4 miles of my destination, I have no problem biking the that distance in a reasonable amount of time. I don't see the need for an electric folder except for those with apartments (no space). Any electric bike that is really useful is probably 20 lbs heavier (worse if they have lead acid batteries) than a non-electric which makes it pretty hard to haul up too many stairs. If you are fit enough to haul that up some stairs, why aren't you fit enough to ride a bike? The video also claims that you can recharge the battery by pedaling, oh really? I have seen this claim on an expensive ebike too recently. It is a lie in a practical sense. It would take all day or maybe two to charge it up enough to go somewhere. I am not against electric bikes, like I said I have one but to complicate a bike, increase its weight and price, I don't think it is worth it for a folder. I have to add, I am not a fan of many of the electric bikes out there now on non-folders for the same reason. The electrics are usually being added to a cheap bike, with not enough power to do much more than make up for the extra weight they just added. Most are fad or the latest-gimmick bikes which after watching the video, I would say this folder is in that class.
Old 03-16-09, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Nope... not an R20. Looks like a typical "U" folder that was built by several bike companies.

--sam
Old 03-16-09, 09:52 AM
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like a great invention. If it's lightweight, pedals well and recharges itself with rider's pedaling, whats the downside? It looks like a great mode of transportation.
For myself (I'm talking just for my tastes), I wouldn't get one simply because I bicycle for the exercise. But if I had a physical ailment or limitation, I'd jump on this or anything similar.
It needs an option for a rack!
Ernest
Old 03-16-09, 11:50 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
From what I could tell, these models weigh 40 pounds and up. Kind of pointless to make it foldable, other than saving space in your apartment.
Old 03-16-09, 01:36 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
From what I could tell, these models weigh 40 pounds and up. Kind of pointless to make it foldable, other than saving space in your apartment.
Seems to me the idea is to put it in the car's boot. They're not made foldable so you can carry them places. (Very few folders are.)
Old 03-16-09, 07:23 PM
newbie- Dave in Philly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's what I was thinking- I mean yeah it folds but that doesn't mean so you can carry it for 3 miles LOL-- 40lbs is heavy but for how long will you be lifting it? even if you have to go up stairs like the high school kid here that posted about that-you can pop a wheelie and pull it up stairs (or down) on the back wheel- so long as your hangs are free- via backpack. I don't understand why people here say when people are asking about cheaper folding bikes- they say 'oh it;s gonna be much heavier than a (much more expensive bike name insert here)____" more expensive bikes are only around 4 lbs lighter-- 4 lbs is not that much.

I put up an ad on craig's list - Wanted cheap old or newer folder- looking to buy between 50 and 120 bucks - can be 30-40 years old just no crappy tires /gears and brakes- would prefer something like a 3speed or up but will deal with a single speeder. I KNOW THIS IS A CHEAP PRICE AND MY CHANCES ARE SLIM.

just a few hours later got a reply- a gut that lives blocks away from me has a dahon 3speed in red- only rode is a couple of times and comes with a bag- has been in storage ever since- it is a couple of years old only and get this---
he wants 100 dollars for it.

I'm going over tomorrow to look at it- seems to good to be true. Crossing fingers- something just sounds fishy to me
Old 03-16-09, 07:44 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
They're not made foldable so you can carry them places. (Very few folders are.)
...? Portability is the primary advantage for folders. E.g. you ride to the train station, fold the bike, carry it through the station, over a turnstile, down a flight of stairs, onto the train, and put it into an overhead bin. (Good luck doing that with a 40+ pound folder on a regular basis.)

Originally Posted by The Remix
guy that lives blocks away from me has a dahon 3speed in red- only rode is a couple of times and comes with a bag- has been in storage ever since- it is a couple of years old. I'm going over tomorrow to look at it- seems to good to be true.
It is. Older Dahons weren't very well made, and getting parts will be difficult to say the least. You're better off saving up to get a decent bike.
Old 03-16-09, 08:23 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
...? Portability is the primary advantage for folders. E.g. you ride to the train station, fold the bike, carry it through the station, over a turnstile, down a flight of stairs, onto the train, and put it into an overhead bin.
Not sure you're right... when I take the train, I push my folder everywhere and only fold it at the very last moment before getting on the train. No way I am lugging that thing around when not absolutely necessary. And that's the thing with the majority of folders - they are very awkward to carry. And they are not that light either. This is what everybody around here is saying all the time - you may carry it for 10 paces but then your arms want to separate from your body.

No, folders fold so they occupy less space - that is the primary advantage.
Old 03-16-09, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the grammar and spelling was really off.

I seriously lolled throughout the whole commercial.

I mean, why would you even point out that the bike's frame is made of magnesium, which is an "earthquake proof" material?

Anyways.

I have to agree that electric folding bikes are extremely heavy, and the electrical energy is probably going to be used on simply on pushing those extra and unnecessary pounds.

On a happier note, we have this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSPs_5cqv8&NR=1

A GASOLINE POWERED BROMPTON
Old 03-17-09, 07:13 AM
Weakling

Bikes: Microbike, but I want to own a Carryme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The E-bike seems to be an electrified version of the old smart-bike that sold for almost nothing in England some years ago. The link fails now but theSwedish firm Lejontrading still has it

https://lejontrading.se/produkt_bilder/hires_5001.jpg

The have hinged the electric motor on basically the same layout?

As I get it the Smart Bike that the Swedes import is renamed in Sweden to Easy bike. It has no "fenders" so when it rains then you get very wet. The fun thing is that despite being so incredibly short. wheel base only 630 mm it is easier to keep balance on than a Strida. But being a steel version of Handybike which has the same folding system on with smaller wheels it is very heavy to carry while the handybike being of alu was easy to lift up but much more expensive.

I bought it just as a proofe of concept that it is not the short wheel base that makes a bike difficult to keep balance on. I don't use it.
Old 03-17-09, 06:42 PM
newbie- Dave in Philly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a bike on craigs list today- payed 100 bucks for it0 I could have talked the kid down but didn't- been looking too long now and just wanted to take the think home- it's a Dahon but I don't know what model- I think the year is 87 it says on the rear hub. here are the pictures link--
https://www.flickr.com/photos/1227188...7615428843853/
it's a 3 speed- the braking is a little soft- have to adjust them and need to lube it up as I heard some fast clicks coming from the rear. Other than that there is a little rust bu not where it matters- could be a Philly bike thief deterrent. The chain guard is cracked but not in any way that orihibits great performance. Handles nice0 it's my first folder so to me seemed tight to me but I have no experience to base it against- rode it to my place of work from my house (though I don't have to work today) and it took me 28 minutes to get there @ 5:30PM the middle of rush hour and I was not in a rush (just kept pedaling- no coasting) stopping for street lights n all! I am happy with this bike already even before the tune up that I'll need to get done.
DOES ANYONE KNOE WHICH DAHON THIS BIKE IS? here is the link to the set-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/1227188...7615428843853/

A little TLC and will be a great old bike.

as far as the E-Bike I just thought it was a good idea for folding cyclist that hated the pains of hills- the ad as I said is funny and rediculous.

Old 03-17-09, 07:40 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_e
Looks like a great invention. If it's lightweight, pedals well and recharges itself with rider's pedaling, whats the downside?
Death, specifically by heart disease.

After a point outsmarting physical exertion is only outsmarting yourself.