Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2009 Dawes SST-AL?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2009 Dawes SST-AL?

Old 03-17-09, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 Dawes SST-AL?

I am getting back into cycling, and i want a SS. This bike really catches my eye, the geometry...the price...it all looks good.

If anyone rides one, do you like it? Any problems with it?

I would change some things about the bike, like putting hoods on it.....i gotta have those.
Old 03-17-09, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by J.W.
I am getting back into cycling, and i want a SS. This bike really catches my eye, the geometry...the price...it all looks good.

If anyone rides one, do you like it? Any problems with it?

I would change some things about the bike, like putting hoods on it.....i gotta have those.
If I were going to buy one of the Bikes Direct SS/FG bikes, I would get that one. It doesn't look the best IMO, but I think its more suited to road riding than the others. It does need hoods however.

The Motobecane Messenger is also set up well for road riding (with hoods even!!), but I don't care for the threaded headset/fork or the cheap looking wheels.

The Kilo TT pro is nice as well, but not worth the additional cost.

Get the Dawes SST AL
Old 03-17-09, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
The Kilo TT pro is nice as well, but not worth the additional cost.

Get the Dawes SST AL

The additional cost is for parts that most people are gonna buy anyways as an upgrade from the regular Kilo so the extra $130 for better cranks, wheels and a brake kit sure as hell make it worth it.

The Dawes is on my radar for my next bike and I like it cause its geometry is more relaxed. the decals can be removed too, not like BD to put the decals on top for any of their bikes. It does need hoods instead of the cross brakes and I would go with a Carbon fork but for the price it is definitely a steal. On another thread discussing this bike Mike from BD said he was gonna change this bike to offer hoods and a Carbon fork in the near future so I'm thinking of waiting to see what he adds to it before I pick one up.
Old 03-17-09, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Thetank
On another thread discussing this bike Mike from BD said he was gonna change this bike to offer hoods and a Carbon fork in the near future so I'm thinking of waiting to see what he adds to it before I pick one up.
Those are sensible changes.
I'm still waiting to see the Motobecane Pro Track, which is supposed to be available sometime soon.
Old 03-17-09, 11:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go with hoods, and new fork as well. I may just hold out to see if a newer better model comes out. But at 359.99.....its just hard to pass up...
Old 03-17-09, 11:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah I wanna get in on it before they upgrade and raise the price but most likely it will still be decent. The only issue with that is it will be hoods and a fork of their choice not mine.

The battle is between this bike and the Phantom Cross Uno now . . . damn choices!
Old 03-17-09, 11:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been eyeing that bike for over a month now and have been going back and forth between that, the windsor, and the kilo tt. Figured with the added accessories (e.g. brakes/upgraded wheels/etc...) it's a better deal. I finally pulled the trigger and bought the bike last week. It should arrive in the next few days. I'll give a picture review once it gets here.
Old 03-17-09, 03:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please do start a new thread reviewing this bike, don't know anyone that has gotten one and I'm sure the forum would appreciate a review of it.
Old 03-17-09, 04:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may be totally stupid, but does anyone use clip-on aero bars on SS's? I am thinking about using some on this bike if i get it.

Keep in mind that i plan on riding a MAX of 30miles per ride (probably keep it to around 10-15..at a high pace).
Old 03-17-09, 06:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't just cause the position to get into aero bars just isn't very comfy to me but I see no reason why you couldn't just cause the bike only has one gear.
Old 03-17-09, 07:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another dumb question...

Will brakes like ( https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ils&ProdID=171 ) work with the handle bars on this particular bike? Or would a different set of handlebars would be needed..
Old 03-17-09, 07:20 PM
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah road levers work on those bars.

can we talk more about the motobecane pro track now?
Old 03-17-09, 09:21 PM
Not the guy from the film

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds neat. I would also like to learn more. am i thread jacking?
Old 03-17-09, 09:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought Syntace C2 Clip-on aero bars today off Craigslist for my Windsor Hour. First ride was great, I like all the extra hand positions.
Old 03-18-09, 01:37 AM
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MASHeug
Sounds neat. I would also like to learn more. am i thread jacking?
we are unlikely to learn more until the bd guy gets the test sample, makes a complete assessment, and finalizes the order before he'll let any reputable hype out. all we really know is aero tubing, aluminum, light, stiff, and dura-ace level components. we don't know price, shape(though everyone wanted a cutout seat tube and he had said that he was working on/looking at something that looked a lot like the former fuji track pros), weight, sizes, or anything. i just hope it's not:

-weird looking like the new leader 735tr
-a complete knockoff of the old 735tr
-anything like a leader
-too similar to a pista concept
-too dissimilar to a pista concept

i kinda want it to be in between a felt tk2 and a coltello- aero as hell but still a little traditional. that or like a trek t1 but with the concept's wheel cutout.

i'm really just expecting a near clone of the masi coltello with more paint choices, a solid (not color banded like the masi) paint scheme, dura-ace components in some key areas(hubs, cranks maybe? though that would drive the price up and then what's the point?), and some aero road bars with throwaway saddle and pedals... or maybe even no saddle and pedals.

my huge hope is that whatever frame they use, they'll offer it as a frameset through bikeisland to compete or even undercut leader's aero frames. since the kilo frameset is at 200 now i'm not expecting it to be under 300, but under 350 would be nice.

the sst aluminum is cool but it's not a tight clearance aero track bike, and it's not going to pull any business from leader or some of the more serious brands(masi, bianchi, felt, whatnot)

i'd rather it be under 550 complete and come with andel/alien/kazane cranks and vuelta low spoke count wheels than have it be a 1000 dollar bargain with full dura-ace and mavic ellipse wheels. then again i'd probably kill a nun and rob a church to buy something like that. i don't even think that kind of deal is possible. if it's much higher than 550 i'd consider a felt tk3 instead... or a :gasp: leader.
Old 03-18-09, 10:24 PM
Not the guy from the film

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
we are unlikely to learn more until the bd guy gets the test sample, makes a complete assessment, and finalizes the order before he'll let any reputable hype out. all we really know is aero tubing, aluminum, light, stiff, and dura-ace level components. we don't know price, shape(though everyone wanted a cutout seat tube and he had said that he was working on/looking at something that looked a lot like the former fuji track pros), weight, sizes, or anything. i just hope it's not:

-weird looking like the new leader 735tr
-a complete knockoff of the old 735tr
-anything like a leader
-too similar to a pista concept
-too dissimilar to a pista concept

i kinda want it to be in between a felt tk2 and a coltello- aero as hell but still a little traditional. that or like a trek t1 but with the concept's wheel cutout.

i'm really just expecting a near clone of the masi coltello with more paint choices, a solid (not color banded like the masi) paint scheme, dura-ace components in some key areas(hubs, cranks maybe? though that would drive the price up and then what's the point?), and some aero road bars with throwaway saddle and pedals... or maybe even no saddle and pedals.

my huge hope is that whatever frame they use, they'll offer it as a frameset through bikeisland to compete or even undercut leader's aero frames. since the kilo frameset is at 200 now i'm not expecting it to be under 300, but under 350 would be nice.

the sst aluminum is cool but it's not a tight clearance aero track bike, and it's not going to pull any business from leader or some of the more serious brands(masi, bianchi, felt, whatnot)

i'd rather it be under 550 complete and come with andel/alien/kazane cranks and vuelta low spoke count wheels than have it be a 1000 dollar bargain with full dura-ace and mavic ellipse wheels. then again i'd probably kill a nun and rob a church to buy something like that. i don't even think that kind of deal is possible. if it's much higher than 550 i'd consider a felt tk3 instead... or a :gasp: leader.
Its Creepy how much i liked everything you just said.
Old 03-18-09, 10:57 PM
Zen Student

Bikes: Colnago Crystal road, Lotus road, Dawes SST-AL fixed gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 52cm SST-AL (I'm 5'7", 145lbs) that I got a few weeks ago. I've done a few 20-mile rides, but it's still a little too close to winter around here. So far I'm pretty happy, but I'm still making adjustments to the fit to find the most comfortable position.

I'll confess to replacing the seat with a Fizik Pave that I had lying around, and clipless pedals. I installed the rear brake that was included with the bike and rode with the stock bars (which were 44cm -- my road bike has 38s) and the stock brake levers. I didn't really like going without hoods, and since the bars were much too wide for me, I picked up Nitto Noodle handlebars at 40cm and Tektro aero brake levers. Since I already had the saddle, and got everything else off ebay, I'm in a little over $100 for the bars, levers, tape, pedals, and wireless cycle computer.

I need to put some more miles into this setup to be sure it's right, but I find it more comfortable than the stock parts. I'm a roadie by nature, and most of my rides are 20-40 miles on flat to rolling hills. My only shorter rides are tooling around town with my kids.

Riding and working on the bike has been an education in fixedness. On my road bike my cadence is generally 90+ ... on the fixed gear, particularly on hills or into the wind, I'm forced to generate a lot of force at lower cadences. It's a different kind of workout. I went fixed because I wanted something that would rekindle my interest in cycling. I went cheap (bikesdirect) because I wanted to try a fixed gear without plunking down too much $. Apparently I buy a new bike every 10 years. This one is my 50th birthday present to myself.

So far, so good. I'll be posting a pictorial review on my blog shortly (now that I'm done with my upgrades); I'll post a link.

edit: I need to update my sig
Old 03-19-09, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll probably do the same upgrades, pedals, hoods, brakes (might aswell pick up some tektro brakes with the hoods...its the same price), and saddle.

Cant wait to see that pictorial...
Old 03-21-09, 11:10 PM
Zen Student

Bikes: Colnago Crystal road, Lotus road, Dawes SST-AL fixed gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.W.
I'll probably do the same upgrades, pedals, hoods, brakes (might aswell pick up some tektro brakes with the hoods...its the same price), and saddle.

Cant wait to see that pictorial...
Well, here ya go ... for anyone who's interested, the link is to an extensive pictorial review of the Dawes SST-AL purchased from bikesdirect.com, including the unpacking and assembly, first ride, early upgrades, and five-week retrospective.

https://www.trvth.org/2009/03/dawes-s...al-review.html
Old 03-22-09, 01:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trvth
Well, here ya go ... for anyone who's interested, the link is to an extensive pictorial review of the Dawes SST-AL purchased from bikesdirect.com, including the unpacking and assembly, first ride, early upgrades, and five-week retrospective.

Awesome work on the review, its exactly what this bike needs other than manufacturer's info. If you're looking for a decent and affordable carbon fork look at performance and nashbar, they carry forks under $100 and sometimes you can get take offs on ebay for even less. If I could ask just one favor, could you take a picture of both front and rear brake calipers showing tire clearance, I would very much appreciate it since I kinda want to see how big of a tire one can stuff into this frame. Thanks and
Old 03-22-09, 06:27 AM

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Very cool! I'm trying to get a friend to purchase one of these, and your review helps me feel more confident that I'm recommending a quality bike from a reliable merchant. Did you find bikesdirect's weight estimate to be pretty accurate (21 lbs i think)?
Old 03-22-09, 07:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The price is right, i like the looks, i am just afraid i will be left wanting gears.....
Old 03-22-09, 07:20 PM

Bikes: CAAD9 6

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ fixed gear bikes are still "trendy", so you can just sell the bike on CL for a good chunk of money to some noob who's willing to pay way too much for a fixed gear, after you ride the crap out of it and realize you want gears of course. Or you might realize that a single speed is enough for your needs, in that case, enjoy the bike.
Old 03-23-09, 10:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trvth

Excellent. You did all the work for me . I received my SST-AL last Friday and your review was pretty much spot on. Only difference was that my bike is a 58cm.
Old 03-23-09, 03:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rivets
Excellent. You did all the work for me . I received my SST-AL last Friday and your review was pretty much spot on. Only difference was that my bike is a 58cm.
Don't want to turn this into a twin of the KILO TT thread but about how tall are you and how well does the 58 fit you? Cause I ride a 55cm Kilo that's technically a 58 but their geo measurements for this bike got me wondering if I should ride a smaller frame? Also pics please!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.