Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy Bottom Bracket

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campy Bottom Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 05:01 PM
Seasoned Rider/Wrench

Bikes: 2004 Colnago C40, 2005 Epic, 1980 Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy Bottom Bracket

Need some help identifying a Campy bottom bracket I have. It came from a 73 bike so I figure it's that era. The rest of the bike is Nuovo Record so I figure that it's NR. I know its english. The part I'm having a hard time with is the marking on the spindle says "68-SSX3". When I google this it tells me it's for a triple. The spindle is 123MM. The crank that was running on this is a Campy Nuovo Record Strata and it is a double. Both cups is marked "Campagnolo 36 x 24 Brev. INTER. So is this for a triple as in triple crank? Didn't know they existed back then. Anyone out there know what I have?
Old 03-18-09, 05:07 PM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I believe it is for a triple. I have one on my 73 Paramount P 15, and if my recollection is correct that is how the spindle was marked.

They certainly did exist back then!
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 03-18-09, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
That would be either an old Record or Gran Sport triple. Record is 117.5 in length, Gran Sport 123.

Interestingly if your cups are marked 36X24, that would indicate Italian thread. English would be 1.370X24
Old 03-18-09, 08:30 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurer90
Need some help identifying a Campy bottom bracket I have. It came from a 73 bike so I figure it's that era. The rest of the bike is Nuovo Record so I figure that it's NR. I know its english. The part I'm having a hard time with is the marking on the spindle says "68-SSX3". When I google this it tells me it's for a triple. The spindle is 123MM. The crank that was running on this is a Campy Nuovo Record Strata and it is a double. Both cups is marked "Campagnolo 36 x 24 Brev. INTER. So is this for a triple as in triple crank? Didn't know they existed back then. Anyone out there know what I have?
Triple cranks have been available from various manufacturers since at least the 1940s, maybe earlier.

"68-SSX3" does indicate that this is a new style (i.e. post-1978) spindle intended for triple chainring use on a 68mm wide BB shell. Your cups are Italian thread, which is somewhat incongruous with the 68mm axle, since most Italian frames use a 70mm BB shell. What is the width of your BB shell? Is the axle black (Gran Sport) or silver (Record)? A 68-SSX3 Gran Sport spindle could probably be used with thick-wall Record cups in a 70mm shell and a double crank. Not ideal, but it would probably work in a pinch.
Old 03-18-09, 08:57 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
I have a campy Record triple tandem crank from 1980. It only goes down to 36 teeth, so it's not exactly a granny gear by today's standards. Particularly in combination with the 21 tooth in the back