Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Do Clydes and (esp. former Clydes) have a fitness advantage?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay this may sounds little wacky, but I convinced that being fat for a while is good for your heart.

I was once a decent athlete who trained pretty hard. Marridge, Kids, and lifestyle changes later I found myself about 60lbs over the Clyde cut off. One day I wake up and decide to lose some LB’s and a year later I am about 10lbs under being a true Clyde. This was about a year ago.

Ever since I found myself back down at my old weight I have noticed that my endurance is better than it ever was when I was fat and measurable numbers like my blood pressure and resting heart rate validate this.
Even when I was fat I did keep active, so I guess in some ways, it was like I decided to wear a 50lb weight vest and train with some extra weight for a few years. Then I took the vest off my heart was stronger than ever?

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 03-20-09, 09:16 PM
karma is my higher power

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia Elite, '84 Trek 620, '84 Shovelhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always make a weight vest if you want to continue to train with more resistance, I have a friend that runs and he has such a vest (he made) that he wears to train for sprints. When he started doing this he said he noticed large improvements in his times.

Your view might have some merit. But for morbidly obese folks, like myself (for now), there is the concern that the added weight has done both structural damage and possibly internal cardio damage. This is why it's always recommend to consult a DR before starting a new exercise or diet regime. As you loose weight and get stronger its easy to over do it and do damage. Also rapid weight changes can happen too quick for your body chemistry to adjust adequately.

Congrats on the weight loss.
Old 03-21-09, 07:39 AM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I cant' really say that. I still get dropped like a hot potato during the races. Especially by those 140lbs people.
Old 03-21-09, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have already taken the idea of racing out of my mind. I cycle for the enjoyment and fitness aspects now.
Old 03-21-09, 09:10 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R1000- IronHorse MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well you don't have to work out as long as a skinny dude would to burn the same amount of caloris
Old 03-21-09, 10:37 AM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Being overweight is not good for any of the organs. Excess fat around those organs is never a good thing. I could run farther and faster before I was a clyde. It was never my favorite thing, but I could do it. I wish I had never gotten OBESE, but now I am working my way back down.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 03-21-09, 11:39 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Physically, I'd have to say no. Mentally, maybe. Knowing what you've had to overcome is a tremendous boost.

Old 03-21-09, 02:11 PM
Rabbit Habbit!

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my body has an advantage of converting those beers and brats to energy fast than the weight weenies! LOL

But to answer your posting.....I don't know completely, I'm not out of the Clyde area yet. I have dropped 35# since the 1st of the year. I'm no longer a risk of type 2, off high blood pressure meds, and can comfortablely bend over and tie my shoes. I know I have lost more fat, but with lifting, swimming, and biking I've replaced it with more muscle. I've compared myself to pictures fie years ago at the same weight and there IS a very big difference. Friends from high school said I look better than I did at 25-30 pounds less, without working out. So I would say yes, when I get down to 200#, I will be stronger (both mentally, and physically) than I was in high school.

I've "only" lost a big bag of dog food. And I wouldn't want to carry it around any more.

Jerry
Old 03-21-09, 02:34 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm sure most MD's would say no. It seems to contradict everything I've read.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-21-09, 02:37 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have my doubts that extra body weight could have ever added any advantage to cardiovascular training. The only advantage I can see to having been heavy is leg strength.
Old 03-21-09, 08:19 PM

Bikes: 2014 Salsa Vaya 2, 2013 Trek Stache 8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffswood
Okay this may sounds little wacky, but I convinced that being fat for a while is good for your heart.

I was once a decent athlete who trained pretty hard. Marridge, Kids, and lifestyle changes later I found myself about 60lbs over the Clyde cut off. One day I wake up and decide to lose some LB’s and a year later I am about 10lbs under being a true Clyde. This was about a year ago.

Ever since I found myself back down at my old weight I have noticed that my endurance is better than it ever was when I was fat and measurable numbers like my blood pressure and resting heart rate validate this.
Even when I was fat I did keep active, so I guess in some ways, it was like I decided to wear a 50lb weight vest and train with some extra weight for a few years. Then I took the vest off my heart was stronger than ever?

Has anyone else noticed this?

I agree with you. I think some of us who put on significant weight for a time have better muscle development. I had to move an extra 70+ lbs around with me wherever I went so I had to have a decent muscle structure. Plus, we have to work really hard to get back down to a reasonable weight which could explain the increased cardio health assuming we weren't overweight enough or long enough to cause permanent damage. I'm down to 250lbs and my mile time is quicker than when I weighed 217 and played football as a freshman in high school 12 years ago. I have a resting pulse of 46 and my blood pressure is 120/80. I can also lift WAY more than I ever could when I was a semi fit teenager.