Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Total Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Total Newbie Question

Hey everyone.
So I have decided to get into cycling to get into shape. I am 6'2 and 275 pounds and I am looking to buy a bike to start out on over the summer, mostly for trail riding (nothing to serious) and just commuting and riding around my town.
The bike I was looking at was an old diamondback topanga. My problem is that I am really strapped for cash in this tough time, so for now, I really can't spend as much as I would want to on a bike. I found this online and I want to know if this would be a good place to start for me.
Here is a picture of the frame and fork, any input would be really helpful, Thanks a lot.

Old 03-22-09, 09:03 AM
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
You left out the most important part--the wheels. Look for heavy duty wheels; 36 spokes if possible. If you're big, wheels are easy to break, and expensive to replace. Also, make sure it fits you. Try this link, and good luck.
Old 03-22-09, 09:05 AM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
THe frame looks really small for 6'2"
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 03-22-09, 09:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, thanks for the help, I just heard back from the seller, he said it was a 21" frame, and it wheels it will come with are 36 spoke
Old 03-22-09, 09:17 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How much is the asking price? Plan on having a bike shop tune it up. Usually about fifty dollars. 21" frame should be ok for your height and the pic looks like there's plenty seat post to spare if you need more.
Old 03-22-09, 09:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The total package including the wheels will be a total of $110, it seems like a good deal to me, just from what I have seen looking around the internet
Old 03-22-09, 09:34 AM
Shop Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HickorySmokes
Alright, thanks for the help, I just heard back from the seller, he said it was a 21" frame, and it wheels it will come with are 36 spoke
That doesn't look like a 21" frame. I have an old no-suspension Diamond Back flat top bar MTB. It is a 21". My bike's seat tube looks much longer than the one in the picture. Make sure the seller is measuring the frame's seat post tube, and not the top tube. Judging by the length of the saddle in the picture, it looks like the top tube might be 21". That would make this a tiny bike.
Old 03-22-09, 09:53 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
The total package including the wheels will be a total of $110, it seems like a good deal to me, just from what I have seen looking around the internet
I agree with laura*. That bike looks like it's a 15"...17" tops. That's way too small for someone 6'2". Take a tape measure with you and measure the frame from the middle of the crank set to the middle of the top tube before you buy it. That's the length of the seat tube and the size of the bike. A 21" mountain bike frame is what you want. Don't settle for anything smaller or you'll regret it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-22-09, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, Yeah, that bike is way too small. Thanks for the help. I am looking at a GT Avalanche 3.0 now, any thoughts?
Old 03-22-09, 07:52 PM

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the GT fits, is in good shape, at a good price and it gets you riding then it's a good deal. Most any MTB will support you and do what you want. Once you have ridden through the summer and get in shape you will know what you want to spend your money on for your next bike.

And welcome to the group.
Old 03-24-09, 02:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. I went to a bike shop and got fitted. Turns out I have a pretty small inseam for a 6'2 person, so they recommended I try an L size frame as opposed to an XL frame, and that worked out great. I got the Avalanche and I love it. Should be going on a ride around parts of Lake Champlain this weekend with some friends. Thanks again everybody.
Old 03-24-09, 03:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is great to get your first bike to get in some fitness. It is even better to get a bike that fits!
Old 03-24-09, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Thanks for the help everyone. I went to a bike shop and got fitted. Turns out I have a pretty small inseam for a 6'2 person, so they recommended I try an L size frame as opposed to an XL frame, and that worked out great. I got the Avalanche and I love it. Should be going on a ride around parts of Lake Champlain this weekend with some friends. Thanks again everybody.
Vermont side or New York? I loved the ride from Burlington out on the Causeway to the Gap. Coolest ride anywhere
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-24-09, 06:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burlington, I go to school up there, looks like the weather is going to be good this weekend, looking forward to it!
Old 03-25-09, 10:20 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Burlington, I go to school up there, looks like the weather is going to be good this weekend, looking forward to it!
Pictures of the bike, please, or the Three Horsemen of Team Clydesdale will come for you. (There are only three of us because no one wanted to be Famine.)

Old 03-25-09, 12:36 PM
karma is my higher power

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia Elite, '84 Trek 620, '84 Shovelhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey Historian, if I was closer I'd be Famine. Thats perfect for someone trying to loose 70-100lbs right

HickorySmokes - Congrats on the new ride and desire to get healthier.
Old 03-25-09, 01:21 PM

Now that you have a mountain bike, make sure you ride around in the Intervale. I used to work at the McNeil power station off Riverside and Intervale Rd. and would ride through up to Colchester and then back around the south edge of Mallet's Bay over to Susy Wilson Rd. just to get some miles in.

If you want a really cool mountain bike ride (lots of road but the end of the ride is nice), start at Old Stage Rd and Center Rd. Ride out to Brigham Hill Road at Pages Corners, turn left. Follow Brigham Hill Road to Brigham Hill Ln (about 2.5 miles) and take a right. Brigham Hill Ln is a somofabeechin' steep hill but keep going. When you get to the end of the road there is a trial filled will baby heads that takes you down to Indian Brook Res. Poke around there for hours of fun.

Old 03-27-09, 11:55 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Original bike posted way too small.

Also, you should look for a rigid fork bike. Suspension forks are made for riders weighing 150 pounds or so. If that is your weight, great. Otherwise, not a good idea.
Old 03-27-09, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by wrk101
+1 Original bike posted way too small.

Also, you should look for a rigid fork bike. Suspension forks are made for riders weighing 150 pounds or so. If that is your weight, great. Otherwise, not a good idea.
Stock shocks are made for light weights but many of them can be adjusted by changing the spring or adding air depending on the shock. Been using shocks for many, many years and they function as advertised. The more you spend, the more adjustable the shock is, however.