Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

campy 9 speed ergo shifters with shimano 9 speed RD

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 06:59 AM
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does this work? I'm asking because I happened to see this mix on a setup on someone's bike....and, a bike that's actually ridden at that. Not sure where I got the idea, but I was under the impression you couldn't mix campy & shimano on indexing....yes/no?
Old 03-23-09, 07:22 AM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Campy 9 shifters pull too much cable and so do Campy 10 shifters. There is a method of attaching the shift cable to a Shimano RD that permits a 10 speed Campy shifter to be used with a Shimano 9 drivetrain. The better solution is just buy a J-tek shiftmate.

https://www.hubbub.com/articles_ergopower.html
Old 03-23-09, 08:04 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
You might check the back issues of Velo News online. There were some articles by Leonard Zinn last summer about mix n match for Campy, SRAM and Shimano. Interesting stuff there.
Old 03-23-09, 08:22 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A lot of the mix-and-match concepts work "sort of". They shift ok in the middle or at one end of the cassette but not all the way across. A J-tek makes the shifting work properly in every cog.
Old 03-23-09, 08:32 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
https://www.hearingoffice.com/downloa...ion_screen.pdf
Old 03-23-09, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
Does this work? I'm asking because I happened to see this mix on a setup on someone's bike....and, a bike that's actually ridden at that. Not sure where I got the idea, but I was under the impression you couldn't mix campy & shimano on indexing....yes/no?
I ride this combo with a JTEC shiftmate. Perfect shifts every time.
Old 03-23-09, 07:06 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
A lot of the mix-and-match concepts work "sort of". They shift ok in the middle or at one end of the cassette but not all the way across. A J-tek makes the shifting work properly in every cog.
not the campy 10 shifters with shimano 9 cassette, and alternate cable routing method.
it works flawlessly once your cable stretches out and you have it dialled in properly.
Old 03-24-09, 02:27 AM

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Campy 9 shifters pull too much cable and so do Campy 10 shifters. There is a method of attaching the shift cable to a Shimano RD that permits a 10 speed Campy shifter to be used with a Shimano 9 drivetrain. The better solution is just buy a J-tek shiftmate.

https://www.hubbub.com/articles_ergopower.html
I am using Campy 10 speed ergos with a SRAM 11/34 cassette on my touring bike. Works very well with the Campy LC RD (90mm). I tried a set of 9spd shifters and the cassette pitch was too wide. I have converted the 9spd ergos to 10spd and will use this on my touring bike. Right now I am able to switch out the Shimano 9spd and campy 10spd wheels with only a minor adjustment of the limit screws. Sheldon Brown has the cassette pitches and ergo pull lengths. I haven't tried a shimano RD and probably won't but I don't think the Campy ergos will work with the shimano rd without the jtek gizmo (but I really haven't tried that combination).
Old 03-24-09, 05:32 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
not the campy 10 shifters with shimano 9 cassette, and alternate cable routing method.
it works flawlessly once your cable stretches out and you have it dialled in properly.
What rear derailleur are you using, a Campy or a Shimano? I'm using Campy 10-speed Ergo brifters with a 9-speed Shimano cassette AND a Shimano rd and it shifts perfectly. But I use a J-tek with it.
Old 03-24-09, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here are the different options available for JTEK shiftmate. Find your combination of shifter/derailer/cassette and buy away.
https://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm
Old 03-24-09, 12:04 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
What rear derailleur are you using, a Campy or a Shimano? I'm using Campy 10-speed Ergo brifters with a 9-speed Shimano cassette AND a Shimano rd and it shifts perfectly. But I use a J-tek with it.
shimano RD. didn't need a j-tek to get it to work on two bikes, but I did use the alternate routing.
one is the winter CX bike using a deore long cage with veloce 10sp shifters, and that didn't develop shifting problems until the chain was stretched to 1/8