Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Walter's Fixed Gear Tikit Stolen...=-(

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 09:00 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Walter's fixed gear Tikit was stolen in Eugene, OR. You can read about the theft here and get details about the bike. It's very unique so it should be easy to spot. If you come across his bike online please let Walter know via his blog or call him at Bike Friday.

Last edited by vik; 03-24-09 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Seems like a really dumb idea to steal such a distinctive bike in a small college town. I hope the bike is recovered soon.
Old 03-24-09, 10:23 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder how easily one could fold and trolley around a Brompton with one of these custom racks:

I know vik has strapped some rather huge loads to his tikit, but you can't take it all inside like this:

However, given how easily I've found a folded Brompton can tip over, even while unloaded, I don't expect this to be as much of a solution as the pictures might suggest. Anyone care to comment on just how well a Brompton could perform as a handtruck/trolley?
Old 03-24-09, 01:00 PM
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
Hmmm...I wonder how easily one could fold and trolley around a Brompton with one of these custom racks:

I know vik has strapped some rather huge loads to his tikit, but you can't take it all inside like this:

However, given how easily I've found a folded Brompton can tip over, even while unloaded, I don't expect this to be as much of a solution as the pictures might suggest. Anyone care to comment on just how well a Brompton could perform as a handtruck/trolley?
Umm, this is a thread about a stolen Bike Friday Tikit!! This has absolutely nothing to do with Bromptons!!

Anyway, I'm sorry his bike was stolen. As someone who is a recent victim of bike theft, I know it's a horrible feeling, so I completely empathize. (Although I used a lock which was clipped by the thief!) If I see a Tikit as described online I'll definitely raise the call.

BTW, always carry a lock and use it properly. Even though locks can be broken, it at least slows down the thief giving you a chance to get back to your bike in time. NEVER LEAVE YOUR BIKE UNLOCKED AND UNATTENDED FOR ANY REASON or deal with the consequences.

Last edited by KitN; 03-24-09 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 01:49 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KitN
Umm, this is a thread about a stolen Bike Friday Tikit!! This has absolutely nothing to do with Bromptons!!

Anyway, I'm sorry his bike was stolen. As someone who is a recent victim of bike theft, I know it's a horrible feeling, so I completely empathize. (Although I used a lock which was clipped by the thief!) If I see a Tikit as described online I'll definitely raise the call.

BTW, always carry a lock and use it properly. Even though locks can be broken, it at least slows down the thief giving you a chance to get back to your bike in time. NEVER LEAVE YOUR BIKE UNLOCKED AND UNATTENDED FOR ANY REASON or deal with the consequences.
The reason the bike was stolen was because he had a large load on an attached trailer and, thus, didn't take it inside with him. This is endemic of folders in general because if you're running errands, as Walter was, you might literally find yourself with more than you can handle and the folding feature you thought "replaces ten pounds of lock" (as Bike Friday founder Alan Scholz described the tikit) suddenly doesn't.

So I'm wondering if there's any solution to this problem and, in particular, to what extent a modified Brompton might address the issue. I'm sorry for Walter's loss and if I see the mofo riding past me I'll be sure to jam a stick in his spokes, but I also think that discussing the root of the problem is a worthwhile exercise.
Old 03-24-09, 08:41 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't found Walter's bike, but I have seen his shoes!

(I normally wear them on my cruiser, not on my BF.)

If the perpetrator rides that tikit around Eugene, or tries to unload it on Ebay or Craigslist, he will most likely get noticed very quickly. Sort of like stealing Lance's TT bike or a great work of art - you will have to keep it out of sight for a loooooong time before you can unload it. Not the normal thieves M.O. as they typically want quick cash.

Hope it surfaces up soon.

I always carry a large cable lock (snaps into a receptacle on my seat post) if we plan to leave our BF's unattended, out of our view. Normally we stay right with them. The reason I have a relatively inexpensive "cruiser" is for going to our local Von's Mrket (where I lock it up) and it's not as highly visible, or as tempting, as my bright Green NWT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lou's Shoes 006 (Medium).jpg (91.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Foldable Two; 03-24-09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 10:44 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Walter's Tikit was recovered...no details yet....
Old 03-26-09, 03:37 PM
Female Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
Excellent! Please fill us in on the details when they become available.
Old 03-27-09, 12:52 PM

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No details yet?

Are Walter and the "authorities" still negotiating for it's release? Was it found in a "chop shop" in little powder coated pieces? (Hope not.)

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 03-28-09, 08:42 AM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm sure Walter will post details on his blog when he has a second. I'm stoked he got his bike back....
Old 03-28-09, 10:54 AM
smallwheelsonly

Bikes: SmallWheelOnly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he got it back?
Old 03-28-09, 12:18 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EM42
he got it back?
Originally Posted by vik
Yup...
Old 04-09-09, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vik
I'm sure Walter will post details on his blog when he has a second. I'm stoked he got his bike back....
Any information about the recovery?

Kam
Old 04-09-09, 04:18 PM

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Foldable Two
No details yet?

Was it found in a "chop shop" in little powder coated pieces? (Hope not.)

Inquiring minds want to know.
Chop! is innocent! It wasn't me! I don't even know Eugene!
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!
Old 04-09-09, 09:48 PM

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
that's great....
Old 04-09-09, 11:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chop!
Chop! is innocent! It wasn't me! I don't even know Eugene!
Chop,

You'd likely like Eugene: College town (Univ of Oregon) and hippie haven, too. (In some ways it has never left the late 60's.) It was also a regular stop on the Grateful Dead concert schedule. (Figured you could identify with that.)

Now that Walter's tikit has been returned, we seem to have lost Walter!.....or at least Walter's story of how and where it was found.
Old 04-09-09, 11:15 PM

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Foldable Two
Chop,

You'd likely like Eugene: College town (Univ of Oregon) and hippie haven, too. (In some ways it has never left the late 60's.) It was also a regular stop on the Grateful Dead concert schedule. (Figured you could identify with that.)

Now that Walter's tikit has been returned, we seem to have lost Walter!.....or at least Walter's story of how and where it was found.
Sounds great, right up my old hippy street! LOL!

Very happy for Walter, wish I'd had the same luck with the *%$"&@"* who stole my Rohloff Birdy Red special from Dublin! (always thought I'd get it back one day, still keep my eyes peeled each time I'm in Dublin but after years of searching......ZILCH!
Attached Images
birdy&me.jpg (102.1 KB, 30 views)
birdy_trailer1.jpg (33.4 KB, 22 views)
birdy3.jpg (104.8 KB, 22 views)
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!

Last edited by Chop!; 04-09-09 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 03:49 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Walter got his Tikit back - story is here...
Old 06-09-09, 04:02 PM
Each Drop of Sweat Counts

Bikes: Trek FX2, Trek Verve 3, Dahon Launch D8, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
Good the bike was recovered but I'm sitting here asking myself why the police weren't called when the lady was first spotted and detained? Big mistake in my opinion.

John
Old 06-09-09, 05:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am so pleased that the man had his Bike Friday "returned" if that is a good word to describe it. I will myself not to be so critical of his methods to return his bike. If he was anywhere else-especially down here in LA, he would have literally got a knife in his gut for being so trusting. Or dead. I hope he learn not to be so....nice (apparently not). Maybe the laws for harboring stolen items is different in Oregon. But in California (a neighboring state), this type of behavior constitutes a felony. She would be sitting in jail here.
Old 06-09-09, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm surprised a woman would steal a bicycle. I suspect 95% of all bikes are stolen by men or boys. Maybe close to 99%! Strange.
Old 06-09-09, 11:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazing story - something like you'd expect to hear on COPS. Whoever stole and/or de-identified the bike had no idea just how unique it is.

Paul's kids definitely have sharp-eyes for Bike Fridays.

Walter (& Vik), thanks for sharing the story - yes, we did want to know the outcome.

...and a LOCK of some kind is mandatory, even on a junker these days. Here at the beach, even the totally rusted bikes are locked-up at the market.

Lou

ADD: If the authorities don't have time for stolen car reports, they surely aren't going to get very excited about a stolen bicycle or even someone possessing one. Unfortunately.

Last edited by Foldable Two; 06-10-09 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 11:47 AM
Female Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekJapan
Good the bike was recovered but I'm sitting here asking myself why the police weren't called when the lady was first spotted and detained? Big mistake in my opinion.
+1

Big mistake not calling the cops once the bike (and lady) were stopped. Now that bike theft duo (the lady and her husband) are free to steal again!!

NEXT TIME CALL THE COPS IMMEDIATELY UPON STOPPING OR EVEN SPOTTING YOUR STOLEN BIKE!

You'll definitely get your bike back AND get these scumbags off the streets so they can't steal more bikes!
Old 06-10-09, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds to me like the husband was the person who stole the bike and when the wife got home and told the story of what all happened they probably dumped the direct evidence in the form of accessories. Its too bad he didn't get all of that stuff back, sounds like close to $300 worth of accessories to me.

Sadly I don't think the cops would have done much if anything, especially in my city I am afraid. I still can't believe he didn't get the lady's name, address, phone number etc and follow her back to her house and reclaim his property. Although I imagine in the excitement of the recovery clear headed thinking was probably a challenge, I know it would be for me.

Happy to hear he got his bike back.