Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding in Manhattan

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding in Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 07:59 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Riding in Manhattan

I've just posted some photographs and a report about my rides in Manhattan over the weekend.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...15#post8593215

Given my age - 61 - I probably did fairly well for my first rides in the city, and I hope I can do it again next year.
Old 03-24-09, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the tour. I've always thought it would be quite interesting to ride in a large city but never had the chance. Your pics and story have given me a good dose of that experience. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-09, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
OUTSTANDING story and photos.

I lived in downtown Chicago for a couple months before we moved out to the burbs. I noticed traffic downtown late at night was pretty slack and thought it would be fun to ride in the city. At that point, I had not yet returned to cycling. I've since returned to the area of the ancestral environs, so the Chicago ride is probably out.

Anyway, yours was a great story, and I admire you not only for riding amongst all the people and cars, but also for doing it on a brand new bike.

Well done!
Old 03-24-09, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great story and pics. My daughter is attending college in Milwaukee but interns in Chicago during the Summer. I've wondered what it might be like to bring my bike when I visit her this summer. You have inspired me to give it a go.
Old 03-25-09, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Great photos! If you don't ride in major cities all that often, such a ride can be a real adventure not easily forgotten.
Old 03-25-09, 08:33 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You can have New York, If I never went back there it would be too soon. Looks like you enjoyed it though.
Old 03-25-09, 11:17 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am planning a trip to London in the future with a couple of lads from work. Traffic is awfull up there and with the new bike lanes opening up, cycling is supposed to be the quickest way to see the sights.

And a lot cheaper than trying to use Public transport and don't even think of tdriving a car in London unless you know where you are going- what traffic works are going to mess you up and you have nerves of steel.

So well done for staying in one piece and not putting too many marks on the Taxi's.

And thanks for showing us the pics.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-25-09, 12:39 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the fall I ride with a group that starts out at 6:30 PM from an inner ring suburb of Cleveland. Every 3rd week or so they will take the ride into downtown Cleveland. Usually at night the main streets of the city are pretty much empty. I recall one ride several years ago where we rode past Progressive Field and Quicken Arena with games being played at both venues and the traffic still was light. Going up and over the bridges that cross the Cayougha River valley was always "game on sprints".