Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do you wear for most of your bicycling?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: What do you wear for most of your bicycling?
Choose as many as apply. 1. Lycra jersey
47.42%
Lycra shorts
47.42%
Lycra bibs
30.05%
Non-lycra bicycling specific jersey
20.66%
Non-lycra bicycling specific shorts
13.15%
Regular shorts
25.82%
Regular shirt
35.21%
Regular long pants (like Levis)
13.62%
Nothing
0.94%
Something else - please share below.
5.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-09, 01:03 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

By "Lycra jersey" I mean the typical stretch-over type of jersey, which may also contain polyester, etc.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-26-09 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 01:17 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Are typical cycling jerseys made of lycra? I've never seen that name used in reference to the synthetic wicking materials used in jerseys.
Old 03-26-09, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Baggy cycling shorts are missing.
Old 03-26-09, 01:19 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by leob1
Baggy cycling shorts are missing.
"Non-lycra bicycling specific shorts"

Isn't that pretty close?
Old 03-26-09, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain bike shorts and ordinary cotton T-shirt for nearly everything in summer, including centuries (they're at least as comfortable to me as Lycra). Occasionally street shorts over Andiamos. I used to wear jerseys, but there are so many jerkoffs riding around in jerseys these days that it got to be embarrassing. You don't need $250 worth of cycling clothes for a five-mile ride to Starbuck's, which is what most of the weekend riders around here do.
Old 03-26-09, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I selected lycra shorts and jersey. I should say that I belong to a chapter of the Arizona Bicycle Club, and ride with them every Saturday morning. I have averaged 5000 - 7000 miles per year from 2006-2008. For my rides lycra is the most comfortable. LOL.. at this point I could care less about the stares from non-cyclists. I am 56 btw.
Old 03-26-09, 01:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Are typical cycling jerseys made of lycra? I've never seen that name used in reference to the synthetic wicking materials used in jerseys.
Shorts may contain Lycra (a brand name), and all tight bike shorts these days tend to be called "lycra shorts." Jerseys, at least last time I read labels, might have some Lycra in them, but usually are mainly polyester.
FWIW, I've never been comfortable in them. I have a couple of wool jerseys that are much better, even in summer, but usually ride in cotton T-shirts (I know the arguments against that, but I live in the desert where sweat evaporates anyway, and they're comfortable for me).
Old 03-26-09, 01:30 PM
Banned.

A far as the jersey goes, here is a google search on lycra jerseys.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...rseys&aq=f&oq=
Old 03-26-09, 01:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
That's what they call them around here, and here is an article for your edification:

https://bicycle-gear.suite101.com/art...cycling_shorts

Lycra Cycling Shorts

Why Lycra Bike Shorts are the Best for Long Distance Cycling

Read more: "Lycra Cycling Shorts: Why Lycra Bike Shorts are the Best for Long Distance Cycling" - https://bicycle-gear.suite101.com/art...#ixzz0AtBzEvLF
All of those articles are about lycra shorts. I am very familiar with lycra shorts. My question was about jerseys. I don't normally see jerseys referred to as "lycra". No big deal. I was just curious.
Old 03-26-09, 01:33 PM
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm just running to the store to pick up something, I put on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt.

For every other ride, even just to Starbucks, I put on Bibs and a Jersey. I wear Bibs for the fit and padding and Jerseys because I want to stay cool, not look/be cool.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 03-26-09, 01:34 PM
Banned.

All of those articles are about lycra shorts. I am very familiar with lycra shorts. My question was about jerseys. I don't normally see jerseys referred to as "lycra". No big deal. I was just curious.
You are right, and I am going to delete that response. I misread your question. Here are some references to lycra jerseys:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...rseys&aq=f&oq=

I've always called them (and heard them called) Lycra - may be a regional thing?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-26-09 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 02:00 PM
just keep riding

Most of my rides are athletic road rides of 20 miles or more (often much more) or strenuous MTB rides noe or two hours long. For these rides I usually wear lycra shorts or bibs and cycling specific jerseys made of some kind of wicking polyester type material (whatever we want to call it). I have found these to be best for absorbing the sweat that usually accompanies these rides even in cool weather. They also allow free movement and avoid chafing on the legs, crotch and arms. I also wear cycling specific shoes and polyester or wool socks on these athletic type rides. The shoes will be road type or MTB type depending on the kind of ride and type of bike.

For shorter and more casual riding, I often wear regular shorts, t-shirts and sneakers. I wear a helmet fro any type of bike ride. If I expect to sweat, I wear a bandana or headsweat under my helmet. For rides somewhere in between, where I may work up a sweat but I plan to spend time off the bike before riding home, I may wear baggy shorts with wicking liners, polyester t-shirt or seersucker button-up shirt and either sneakers with toe clips or touring shoes with MTB type pedals and cleats.
Old 03-26-09, 02:48 PM
Desert Rat

Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually wear lycra shorts with something over them. I never wear them only. I have baggy mountain bike shorts over them in the summer and something along the lines of sweat pants over them in the winter. If it's real cold I'll wear some insulated under wear under the lycra shorts and maybe some wind pants over the sweat pants. I only wear t-shirts on the top in the summer with a bicycle zip up jacket over that in the winter. I have an over the ears band liket skiers wear when it's cold to keep the ears warm. I always have the same footwear which is whites socks and cross trainer style shoes.

I don't ride in the rain so I don't have rain gear. I only miss a few days a year around here because it rains less than an inch a year here.

I have gloves that only cover half my fingers on warm days and full fingers on cold days.
Old 03-26-09, 03:00 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Regardless of which bike I'm riding I wear bibs and a polyester jersey. Is there anything else?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-26-09, 03:05 PM
lube addict

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tech fabrics - that's what I call them.
Old 03-26-09, 03:16 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My cycling wardrobe is split into two sections. On commutes and shorter rides, I wear polyester athletic type stuff (gym shorts, wicking tees, etc.). On longer rides, I have normal road bike stuff (bike shorts, bibs, tights, jerseys, etc.). My riding is usually split pretty eavenly between the two.
Old 03-26-09, 03:39 PM
just keep riding

Lycra shorts don't really work like they are designed to do when you wear baggy shorts or sweat pants over them. They bind and they don't breath as well. Modesty comes at a high price.
Old 03-26-09, 03:50 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Lycra shorts are a must but depending on Weather -there may be Tights over the top or both may be replaced with winter Knickers.

Base layer is always a wicking vest- and that includes summer. Then short sleeve jersey- and then depending on temp- a long sleeve or the the Assos long sleeve and finally a suitable outer layer. That may be a pertex for wind proofing- a warmer jacket that is so old it has lost its waterproofing but is very comfortable- or a showerproof or in normal winter riding- the Goretex. All of which are cycling specific.

I am a rider of many layers but it would be great if I could ever get back to just the base layer and the short sleeve--Along with the lycra bibs of course. Perhaps at the end of August and just into September.

Edit- And as you can see- all that lot doesn't always keep me dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sdwroad.JPG (46.9 KB, 49 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-26-09 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 04:38 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
A wicking long or short sleeved t-shirt, bike "tights" that aren't (not tight), or loose fitting, wicking running shorts (guess that's what they are), wicking socks, and tennis shoes (not using clipless pedals). Not really bike specific clothing, but wouldn't ride without the wicking material.
Old 03-26-09, 04:45 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lots of sunshine here in Ca and lots of hundred degree days so lycra cycling short and a tank are usually more than enough. With lots of sunblock! Yuck, I hate the feel of a jersey. Reminds me of that poly shirt I had to wear as a teen working at Weinerschnitzel!

On winter rides or a ride in the mtns, windbreaker and long tights and a smile. Not so cool going up but the 20 mile descents can get CHILE!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 03-26-09 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 05:32 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
A smile.
Old 03-26-09, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 5,483 Times in 2,841 Posts
My favorite summer jersey is this *long*-sleeved one I found at Performance last year:

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1111

It is a light gauzy material with a loose fit. No more needing sunblock on the arms, and no more "farmers" tans.
Old 03-26-09, 07:49 PM
Desert Rat

Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lycra shorts don't really work like they are designed to do when you wear baggy shorts or sweat pants over them. They bind and they don't breath as well. Modesty comes at a high price.
I wear baggies over mine because I like pockets. They don't bind and they breath fine. They compliment my modesty perfectly. The baggins I usually wear even came with a pair.
Old 03-26-09, 07:56 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since I mostly ride those funny lookin' recumbent bikes, I wear whatever I happen to have on that day. Life has become so easy for me.

Not wanting to skew your data, I chose not to vote.
Old 03-26-09, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Oh yea. That's a receipe for disaster - blisters, boils, saddle sores, etc. I don't understand why people don't waer cycling shorts - period. That's what they are designed for. They provide proper padding and wicking. When you wear anything over them, it defeats the purpose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.