Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cateye TL-LD1100 vs. Rack Blinky vs. Superflash

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was wondering if I could have your opinions on these three taillight models.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I'll be getting a bike within the next few weeks for my soon-to-be-longer commute. As I'll occasionally be riding it after dark, I'd like to outfit it with the appropriate lights. I've already purchased a Cateye HL-EL530 for the front, primarily for its affordability; as this is Osaka, there are relatively few places that are truly unlit, so I'm mostly concerned with being seen.

However, I've yet to decide on a taillight. I intend to outfit my bike with a rear rack, so something I can affix to that would be ideal. I've noticed that people here have had good things to say about Planet Bike's Superflash and Rack Blinky, as well as Cateye's TL-LD1100, but I don't know which would be the best in my case. I did notice that the Rack Blinky has a built-in reflector, which appeals to me, but I'd like to hear what other people think about these before I make a decision.
Old 03-29-09, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PBSF or Bspoke - fit several
Old 03-29-09, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I like the ones with the reflector. Cars headlights are nearly always putting out *way* more light than your blinky - might as well take advantage of it.

So the reflector:
1. Lights up really bright if there's a car behind you at night
2. Can be seen even if the batteries died or the light broke
3. Can be seen even if you forgot to turn it on
Old 03-29-09, 12:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both of these lights and use them together on my bike. The PBSF is on my grocery pannier so it's a little more visible to drivers behind me and the cateye is on my rear rack. I like the side spill on the cateye even though the light seems to be less intense than PBSF. If you want to have quick release capabilities on the cateye, you will need to get the mounting bracket from them for $5 USD, otherwise the light wil mount directly to the rack.
Old 03-29-09, 07:55 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the TL-LD1100 mounted to my rear rack. It mounts easily with a small "L" bracket. I've had it for over a year with no problems. I use it alot and not just at night. It's often foggy in the early morning and I run it whenever I think it could help me be seen.

I'm thinking of adding a second blinky. If my only rear light stopped working in the middle of a night commute it would not be a good thing. I'd like the second one to have a reflector and LEDs. Not sure where to put it, maybe on the back of my trunk bag.
Old 03-30-09, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.amazon.com/Vetta-TSL-C-Fl...421963&sr=1-23

A little more expensive but much brighter. Takes 4 not 2 and AA not AAA batteries so it puts out a whole lot more light. I got mine when it was on special for much less. Best bargain I have ever found. It is more visible than two of any of the other tail lights you are considering.