Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thinking about driving tommorow.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 10:26 PM

Bikes: '72 peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Haven't drove to work since August. I was going to try to do a whole year but am now seriously considering driving once in a while to save energy for my after work life. When I have a physically demanding day at work the bike rides just add and cause me to not have energy at home.

-Well that is my story anyway. Maybe I'm just making excuses and getting burned out!
Old 03-30-09, 10:33 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
How long is your commute? If it is under 10 miles, it shouldn't tire you out.

I suspect that its more the tiring day between the rides. Are you eating okay? A little depression from all the work tensions these days could be eating at you.

I'd say keep it up. Maybe look at some other changes in your ride to vary the ride or smelling the roses on the way there and back.

Good luck, and keep on riding.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-30-09, 10:35 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do what works for you. This semester, I've driven to class many times because of places I've had to travel to after class. Looking forward to those things ending this summer. In the end, whether you make one ride a day, a week, a month, or even a year, as long as you enjoy it, let that be enough.
Old 03-30-09, 10:41 PM
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I'm curious what kind of distances we're talking about here. Are you getting proper sleep, hydration and nutrition? When I fall behind on that stuff I start to suffer.
Old 03-30-09, 11:09 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slloth
Haven't drove to work since August. I was going to try to do a whole year but am now seriously considering driving once in a while to save energy for my after work life. When I have a physically demanding day at work the bike rides just add and cause me to not have energy at home.

-Well that is my story anyway. Maybe I'm just making excuses and getting burned out!
Could you provide a few details about your commute? If you're doing 40 miles a day, I'd say burn-out is almost certain after several months or a year. If you're doing 6, not so much.
Old 03-30-09, 11:50 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Don't sweat it, take a day off.
Old 03-31-09, 06:39 AM
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, a day off now and then is a good idea.
Old 03-31-09, 06:45 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
Sloth - Rest is good. No shame. Heck take a week off!
Old 03-31-09, 07:09 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the positive feedback. My commute is only 9 miles round trip but I always ride aggressive. Maybe I will just take it easy this morning.
Old 03-31-09, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Having had to drive to work yesterday due to the need to go to the airport after work, I observe that the frustration of driving here makes it far more tiring than riding.

Paul
Old 03-31-09, 07:45 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I find that riding hard really takes it out of me, and only gets me home about 3 minutes faster. If I just noodle home, it takes 45 instead of 42 minutes, and I am fine.
Old 03-31-09, 09:17 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
About speed, I was running and trying to improve my time and a friend told me that to improve your overall time you have to increase your speed by a considerable amount. It made me appreciate athletes all the more. I run a 10 minute mile and since that's my comfort zone I just accept it. The same thing applies to cycling, for me, I do my best but I don't want a heart attack and so I find my comfort zone, even if that if working hard, it's still my comfort zone. It is what it is - my speed is my speed, whatever it is.
Old 03-31-09, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Having had to drive to work yesterday due to the need to go to the airport after work, I observe that the frustration of driving here makes it far more tiring than riding.

Paul
Not sure about me being more tired when driving, but I am definitely more stressed.

Of course, when the weather is nicer, there is a nicer view on the paths with all the joggers...

Old 03-31-09, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This isn't the car free forum. If you want to drive to work then drive.
I did not drive to work for 2 years and now occasionally have to. It does not bother me in the least.
Old 03-31-09, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
This isn't the car free forum. If you want to drive to work then drive.
I did not drive to work for 2 years and now occasionally have to. It does not bother me in the least.
Yeah, I totally agree - it's not a crime to drive occassionally.

I'd start with taking the middle day of your week off (probably Wednesday) to see if giving it a little bit of a rest in the middle of the week helps.

I think a lot of people have thrown out some good advice so far in this thread, but we might be able to offer specific advice on how to reduce how tired you are if you told us how long your commute is and what bike you're riding. For example, as someone else already mentioned if you bike slightly slower if can mean a small increase in time but a huge decrease in your energy level at the end of the ride.
Old 03-31-09, 12:57 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning on driving in Wednesday and it seems like a good day.. I get two days of bicycle in and get tired out. Wednesday I drive and get frustrated driving then I get two days of bicycle commuting to work it off before the weekend.

At a 9 mile round trip taking just one way easy as a recovery ride of sorts might do alot of good.
Old 03-31-09, 01:29 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If my ride was 9 miles round trip, i'd ride every day! As it is, my ride's around 26 miles r/t with a few hills thrown in, I ride the bus two days and bike three.
Old 04-01-09, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by slloth
Thanks for the positive feedback. My commute is only 9 miles round trip but I always ride aggressive. Maybe I will just take it easy this morning.
What kind of bike do you have? There are also suggestions we might able to make to make your ride easier and faster - for example, if you're riding a mountain bike with knobby tires changing them to street slicks (just as wide, but no knobs) won't change your traction on the street but will both make you bike faster and make it less work.
Old 04-01-09, 08:10 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you are doing a lot of physical work at work and then have to ride home... even a short trip... maybe that's what's making you tired.

Myself, I'm a programmer and I have to occasionally get up from my desk to walk around the building just so my legs won't fall asleep. If I'm unable to commute by bike, I tend to be grouchy and restless ... probably because it's the only physical exercise I get.
Old 04-01-09, 11:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv
If you are doing a lot of physical work at work and then have to ride home... even a short trip... maybe that's what's making you tired.
Yes sometimes I do very physical work in my 9 hour shift. And then I ride home at a pretty good pace. A non cyclist would not be able to keep up and still be comfortable.

The type of bike is insignificant. I have road to work on single speed road bikes, fixed gear road bikes, geared road bikes and mountain bikes. It does not matter what kind of bike I ride because I just naturally keep pedaling! I don't always go super fast unless I have a ton of energy but for some reason I just naturally put in a lot of effort.

I think what I will do is just start driving on the days I am feeling really physically tired and not just lazy. I have tried to tell myself to just ride easy and take my time but for some reason I don't take my own advice! The only time I took a long time to get to work was when I road my Mountain Bike. The only problem was I still rode hard, I was just going slow!

Thanks all! I really will not feel bad about driving now. Maybe I will ride on my days off more!