Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed chain question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

10 speed chain question

Old 03-31-09, 11:45 AM

Location: CO....Hetchins MO, Merlin XL, Trek, Klien, Specialized, Kestral, Bataglin, Guerciotti, Bianchi, Schwinn, Colnago Geo, Miele, Contini, Feggin, Cannondale, Lemond, Ciocc, Giant, Rossin

Bikes: Hetchins MO, Merlin XL, Trek, Klien, Specialized, Bataglin, Guerciotti, Bianchi, Schwinn C19, Colnago Geo, Miele, Contini, Feggin,Cannondale, Lemond,Ciocc, Giant, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 speed chain question

I have a Campy system. 10 speed system. According to Wipperman, their new chain is made for 10 speed Shamino or Campy. I do not know the dia of the Wipperman chain, but believe the Shamino is 6.1 or 6.2 and the Campy is 5.8.

Knowing all of this I have tried a Wipperman chain on my system and am wondering if the general consensus is that Wipperman on a Campy system should work fine.

The problem I am encountering is the chain does not seem to get 'caught' by the cog I am shifting to right-a-way. It seems to take a few extra turns of the gears (more than I think is right) before the chain goes to the new intended gear. Especially in down shifting.

I have been checking the gears / cluster to see any wear and am not sure if there is enough to be an issue, hense the cassette guage talked about previously in my other tread. I have checked the rear changer and it is oiled and works fine. I have checked the shifter and it is ingauging the shifting gears when moved. I have checked the rear hanger and it is straight.

So I ask about the chains available to us.

Last edited by jjciiijs; 03-31-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-31-09, 12:03 PM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Modern 10 speed chains are all very close to the same 5.9mm width. From a width standpoint they are all interchangeable. I've only tried wipperman once, probably in 2001 and found the chain noisy. Never bought one again.

Your problem sounds like you need to adjust the cable tension on the RD, although RD alignment should be checked too. Hesitation on shifts to larger cogs means too little tension. Hesitation on shifts to smaller cogs can be due to inadequate tension or cable housing friction that keeps the cable from releasing properly.

You won't find any chain that lasts longer than Campy. I've been using Campy 10 since 2000. None of the chains I used ever showed much elongation, even after 6,000 miles. They do wear out, but you can't use elongation as the measure, if the chain is kept properly lubed. I measure roller wear, using calipers. When the spacing between the rollers increas by about .020 inch, the chain should be swapped for a new one, but not thrown away. I consider that to be half-worn. I alternate the use of three chains, so I never get chain skip.
Old 03-31-09, 07:00 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The current Wippermann 10-speed chains are all 5.9 mm wide according to their web site.

I've been using the original width Wippermann "Campy width" chains (6.2 mm IIRC) on a Campy 10-speed drivetrain for the past three years and they have always run quietly and shifted very well.