Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

v brake toe in?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

v brake toe in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
v brake toe in?

Hello,im gonna be putting new v brake pads on today but i am getting conflicting opinions as to whether v brakes should have a toe in or not.Some say yes and others say no because v brake pads are designed to go flat against the rim,wonder whats the concensus here?

Thanks all

Simon
Old 04-01-09, 03:42 AM

Bikes: Giant CRX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simongrant
Hello, I'm putting new v brake pads on today but I am getting conflicting opinions as to whether v brakes should have toe-in or not. Some say yes; others say no because v brake pads are designed to go flat against the rim. What's the concensus here?

Thanks all

Simon
I prefer flat against the rim but with out substantial toe-in my brakes scream in pain. I've got no choice. On the other I dislike the spongy feel and longer acting distance it gives. I dislike the noise worse.
Old 04-01-09, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by simongrant
Hello,im gonna be putting new v brake pads on today but i am getting conflicting opinions as to whether v brakes should have a toe in or not
I'd go with toe-in. Never seen anything else being suggested, and all my experience says that ignoring it will result in horrible squealing.
Old 04-01-09, 05:03 AM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I toe-in my Kool Stop Thinline dual-compound pads on my Avid SD 7's. Keeps 'em from any screeching. Try your flat on the rim first. Got noise? Toe 'em in. It doesn't harm anything.
Old 04-01-09, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
I toe-in my Kool Stop Thinline dual-compound pads on my Avid SD 7's. Keeps 'em from any screeching. Try your flat on the rim first. Got noise? Toe 'em in. It doesn't harm anything.
+1

Try them flat first and if they don't scream or shudder then all is fine. On one bike the rear brakes are fine with the pads flat but I had to toe in the front ones substantially to stop them screaming and shuddering.

Anthony
Old 04-01-09, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input and advice,the new pads are on and working fine.I did manage to get some toe in,the gap to the rim from the front of the pad is about 1mm and at the back 1.5-2mm,this sound ok?

Thanks again

simon
Old 04-01-09, 06:32 AM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you use Kool Stops, there is a small bump at the trailing edge of the pad that is designed to give you an approximate toe in.....