Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trek, Jamis, or Specialized?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 04-01-09, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My son has been bitten by the mountain bike bug. I own a mountain bike but I'm not an expert on what's available in the $600 to $1200 range in mountain bikes. The dealers in his area, Lee County Florida, carry these brands, Trek, Jamis, and Specialized.

He's decided to go with a hardtail. He wants a front fork with a lockout, and he also wants disc brakes. For my part, I advised in that he is new to mountain biking to keep it simple and go with mechanic discs. Of those three brands and in that $600 to $1200 price range what bikes should he be looking at and which ones should he stay away from?
Old 04-01-09, 08:48 PM

Bikes: many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://bikesdirect.com/products/moto.../fpr9_2100.jpg
Old 04-01-09, 09:22 PM

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at the Specialized, ignore the Trek, and diss the Jamis.
Old 04-01-09, 10:24 PM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeo_max
And while you're at it, ignore this guy.

$1200 will get you a pretty competent hardtail. The Specialized Rockhoppers, Trek 6000 series, and Jamis Dakotas all fall into this range. The Rockhopper Expert, Trek 6500, and Jamis Dakota Sport all come spec'ed with a Tora (which is a pretty good fork), hydraulic discs (IMO worth the extra money/maintenance over mechs), and at least a Deore drivetrain (ranging from all Deore on the Specialized to a Deore-XT mix on the Jamis). The Jamis Komodo also falls in this price range if he's looking for something burlier. Also, if they carry Trek, they probably also carry Fisher, who makes the Tassajara, which is spec'ed similarly to the other bikes I mentioned, but will have different geometry (longer toptube, for example). Or he can look around for a deal on a leftover 2008. His best bet is to try out as many bikes as possible and see what fits him.

Last edited by Zephyr11; 04-01-09 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Out of the three brands you are choosing, Jamis is the "Value" brand. You'll pay a bit less for a Jamis than a similarly equipped Trek or Specialized bike. Anyway, check out the company online. I think your son will definitely get the most bang for your bucks deal with the the Dakota Sport.

It's toward the top of your price range, But it comes with a nice frame, nice Tora SL coil fork, and good parts (Deore/LX level). It doesn't have mechanical disk brakes ( they are hydraulic Deores), But I wouldn't worry about that. The hype about hydraulic brakes being more high maintenance than mechanicals has really been overblown. If you really want mechanicals, see if the shop would trade your Shimano hydraulics straight-up even-Steven for a set of Avid BB-7's. They cost about the same.
Good Luck.
Old 04-02-09, 09:55 AM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zephyr11
and while you're at it, ignore this guy.

$1200 will get you a pretty competent hardtail. The specialized rockhoppers, trek 6000 series, and jamis dakotas all fall into this range. The rockhopper expert, trek 6500, and jamis dakota sport all come spec'ed with a tora (which is a pretty good fork), hydraulic discs (imo worth the extra money/maintenance over mechs), and at least a deore drivetrain (ranging from all deore on the specialized to a deore-xt mix on the jamis). The jamis komodo also falls in this price range if he's looking for something burlier. Also, if they carry trek, they probably also carry fisher, who makes the tassajara, which is spec'ed similarly to the other bikes i mentioned, but will have different geometry (longer toptube, for example). Or he can look around for a deal on a leftover 2008. His best bet is to try out as many bikes as possible and see what fits him.
+1
Old 04-02-09, 12:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized 08 Hardrock Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
And while you're at it, ignore this guy.

$1200 will get you a pretty competent hardtail. The Specialized Rockhoppers, Trek 6000 series, and Jamis Dakotas all fall into this range. The Rockhopper Expert, Trek 6500, and Jamis Dakota Sport all come spec'ed with a Tora (which is a pretty good fork), hydraulic discs (IMO worth the extra money/maintenance over mechs), and at least a Deore drivetrain (ranging from all Deore on the Specialized to a Deore-XT mix on the Jamis). The Jamis Komodo also falls in this price range if he's looking for something burlier. Also, if they carry Trek, they probably also carry Fisher, who makes the Tassajara, which is spec'ed similarly to the other bikes I mentioned, but will have different geometry (longer toptube, for example). Or he can look around for a deal on a leftover 2008. His best bet is to try out as many bikes as possible and see what fits him.
+2

Have him try as many bikes as possible. There is a big difference between brands and even between models.
Old 04-02-09, 02:08 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeo_max
Why?
Old 04-02-09, 02:35 PM

Bikes: Custom 09' Epic Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stumpjumper is for him: https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...d=39220&eid=99

You might be able to find an 08' in your price range.
Old 04-02-09, 03:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker
Stumpjumper is for him: https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...d=39220&eid=99

You might be able to find an 08' in your price range.
I'm kinda leaning on this idea.

At $1200 your getting into a "high end", yet still mid-grade . If you add a couple bills, You'll have a realy, realy nice machine. "Most" everything in the price range stated is mid-high grade, with somewhat of an ecception.

For instance~
You buy a nice rockhopper "expert", which I love, and own (rockhopper comp / same frame). But, If I Could have gone with the Stumpjumper, and didn't know.... Basicly your at the next level of hardtails with some searching or a little more cash.... But, any of the bikes listed above are plenty good enough...Even for a skilled rider.

Seem like most people prefer... specialized, fisher, trek. I would like to see more of the Motos,canno's, Giant's, and other manufacture's commented on more. Maybe these guy's are top dog for a reason. Pcad has a motobecane Ti, loves the bike....... He even uses a bottle codom
Old 04-02-09, 03:17 PM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure how anyone can say that a particular model is "for him" when the person in question has never tried it.

On paper, the Specialized Safire was the bike for me. I wanted travel, but couldn't stand over bikes like the Enduro, Nomad, and 575 (the Safire is a 5"...basically the women's full-suspension Stumpy). I'm a girl, and the Safire is women-specific. The Specialized Ruby (Spec's women-specific road bike) fits me perfectly. So I test rode one.
WORST. FIT. EVER.
The geometry was all wrong. It felt squirrelly as soon as I popped the front tire off the ground. Not one thing was good about this bike for me.
So I went to another store and they convinced me to try a Yeti AS-R. On paper, it was wrong. It was a racy XC rig, with 4" of travel and a carbon swingarm. I tried it anyway. Within 5 minutes of playing around the parking lot, I realized it was how a good-fitting bike *should* feel. A demo a few days later at the Yeti factory confirmed my suspicions. Tried a bunch of other bikes, but nothing came close. That was my bike. A custom wouldn't have fit me better.

Moral of the story? You won't know if it's right or wrong until you try the bike, and when you get on the right bike, you WILL know.

Last edited by Zephyr11; 04-02-09 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 03:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
I'm not sure how anyone can say that a particular model is "for him" when the person in question has never tried it.

On paper, the Specialized Safire was the bike for me. I wanted travel, but couldn't stand over bikes like the Enduro, Nomad, and 575 (the Safire is a 5"...basically the women's full-suspension Stumpy). I'm a girl, and the Safire is women-specific. The Specialized Ruby (Spec's women-specific road bike) fits me perfectly. So I test rode one.
WORST. FIT. EVER.
The geometry was all wrong. It felt squirrelly as soon as I popped the front tire off the ground. Not one thing was good about this bike for me.
So I went to another store and they convinced me to try a Yeti AS-R. On paper, it was wrong. It was a racy XC rig, with 4" of travel and a carbon swingarm. I tried it anyway. Within 5 minutes of playing around the parking lot, I realized it was how a good-fitting bike *should* feel. A demo a few days later at the Yeti factory confirmed my suspicions. Tried a bunch of other bikes, but nothing came close. That was my bike. A custom wouldn't have fit me better.

Moral of the story? You won't know if it's right or wrong until you try the bike, and when you get on the right bike, you WILL know.
Yea, prolly the best advice. Same thing when I bought my last bike.

I have a tough time getting use to an unfamiliar bike, but once I ride it for a lenght of time it becomes more natural. And tweaking or changing the seat, bars, stem, pedals, and even the grips can also have a huge impact on the bikes feel and geometry.
Old 04-02-09, 09:19 PM

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Why?
I come from the world of videogame forums.......that makes me act like that......I don't know if you have any idea what I mean.....
Old 04-03-09, 06:48 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a good idea............I'm just a smart ass, thats why I act like I do.
Old 04-03-09, 07:54 PM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Uhhh...me too...without the smart.
Old 06-03-09, 03:41 PM

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe, Schwinn Voyager 11.8, Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Lets_roll said, test ride the bikes.

I just ordered a NOS 2008 Jamis Dakota 29er through the local dealer for $1100. Very well set up for the money. The 2009 is $1500 with no significant component differences.

I rode the 2008 and 2009 Dakota before I put down my money.

Did your son get a bike yet?
Old 06-03-09, 07:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just me but i like the jamis komodo I/II. both are within your budget, take a look at them, your son will go through many fazes of riding, as i am, first I went through downhill a bit, then trails then dirt jumping, this bike seems like it could do the most, except for downhill maybe, better to get a multi purpose bike then have it a straight single purpose bike, seems to me this bike can do most of it, with a 29er you can't really, But then again I don't know your son, so im just suggesting as everyone else. their are a ton of choices but until your son knows what he wan'ts to do you might wan't to invest in a multi purpose bike. You said he's been *bitten by the bug* he may even get out. Hope you make the right choice and find a great bike.

mbiker33
Old 06-03-09, 08:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im 13 and this is the bike im saving up for.
https://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/h...9_komodo1.html
its a freeride bike. idk what type of riding hes going to do though.
but i like the specialized for trail/ all mountian.
i wish i had a dad willing to buy me a 1200 dollar bike
but he did give me a gt cannondale.
hope it works out
i like the other komodo better its just i dont wanna spend that much.
Old 06-03-09, 08:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very happy with my trek 6700.
Old 06-03-09, 08:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trailrider1
im 13 and this is the bike im saving up for.
https://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/h...9_komodo1.html
its a freeride bike. idk what type of riding hes going to do though.
but i like the specialized for trail/ all mountian.
i wish i had a dad willing to buy me a 1200 dollar bike
but he did give me a gt cannondale.
hope it works out
i like the other komodo better its just i dont wanna spend that much.
If you're not too tall...they're still blowing out 2007 Komodo's (size 14) at Jensonusa.com for $799, I think. I prefer the new style frame, myself. rifled TT is PIMP.
Old 06-03-09, 10:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets make this simple. Everybody likes different things, like flavors of ice cream. Thats why Baskin Robins has 31 flavors. Have him try them all out if he can, and just like ice cream he will pick a fav, trust me.
Old 06-04-09, 05:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like ice cream....
Old 06-04-09, 05:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post