Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Greenville, SC and Pla d’Adet...

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 04-07-09, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Every couple of years my club picks a warm location to hold our Spring Cycling Camp. The last 4-5 years we’ve been to Bakersville, NC and Townsend, TN. Today, one of my members proposed that in 2010 we go to the Greenville, SC area because of a George Hincapie development called “Pla d’Adet.”

I’ve been to the website and left a message but clearly this is a residential development and not a cycling camp destination as proposed by my member. However, I was impressed by the route links at mapmyride.com and am interested in hearing what local cyclists have to say about the cycling in the area.

I am also curious as to the status of the development itself. Is anyone here familiar with this development?

Thanx,

2009 Tennessee Summit
Old 04-07-09, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was some building going on when I was up there late last summer (looked like the initial townhouse/condo units). About 1/2 the lots are sold in Phase I according to the website but I know in past research I had found it FAR, FAR outside my price range ($500,000 and up to $1,500,000) for the lots which are only 1.5 to 1.9 acres. The higher priced lots are the ones closer to the top of the mountain. There will be a training center there, but I doubt it will be affordable for any pro cyclist with the exception to a multiple Grand Tour winner. It appears this development is meant to cater to the CEO, CFO types who want to hobknow with elite athletes, etc. The nearest towns/cities to that area are hendersonville (small little mountain town - 15 miles away) and Greenville, SC (where George lives - about 30 miles away). The riding around that area is excellent for climbing, lots of 2000 foot elevation changes, some steep (avg 8-12% over their distance with pitches in the high teens), some not so much (avg 3-6% over their distance).

If you are looking for great training in similar types of terrain, I would consider Asheville, NC. Great cycling scene with great suportive shops and good riders, lots of great routes including the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've done a training camp in Weaverville and found it perfect. Close to great climbing routes and there are lots of cabin rentals and B&Bs there. Far enough outside of Asheville to avoid traffic, but close enough for meal options, etc. There is also a CTS center in Asheville if you were looking for some testing, etc (but I bet it won't be cheap).

Last edited by flyingheel; 04-07-09 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 07:30 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
+1 I spend half my time in the Greenville area, and the other half in the greater Asheville area. I would recommend Asheville over the Greenville area.
Old 04-12-09, 09:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asheville would be great, but don't rule out Pickens, Sc mainly the Hwy 11 "table rock area" I own a tourist destination in this area and cycle every chance I get around on all of the back roads, which are super senic. Excellent riding. We have huge amountd of cyclist come through the restaurant every year. Some from as far as Canada. There are nice cabins and campgrounds all around.

Eric
Old 04-14-09, 07:00 AM

Bikes: Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EricB
Asheville would be great, but don't rule out Pickens, Sc mainly the Hwy 11 "table rock area" I own a tourist destination in this area and cycle every chance I get around on all of the back roads, which are super senic. Excellent riding. We have huge amountd of cyclist come through the restaurant every year. Some from as far as Canada. There are nice cabins and campgrounds all around.

Eric
Do you won Aunt Sue's? Awesome if you do!

If any of you are ever riding in the area, stop by there. They are cycling friendly and have a great local reputation. Perfect for when in the Caesars Head area.
Old 04-14-09, 09:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the compliments Jamie. The riding is really nice here, we just had a group from Canada here. If any of you know the guys know them point them to this thread so we can say hello. I was talking to some of the fellas that droped in to use the wifi, and mentioned that I cycle myself but I didn't mention that I am on the board.

Eric