Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

B-spoke Brompton delivery times

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Post your custom Brompton delivery times : an economic indicator ?

On April 2nd while on a business trip where I regretted not being able to bring a bike along, I ordered a S6E-X Brompton in raw lacquer : I was told to expect a delivery delay of 8 weeks.
PDR's bike was the catalyst for the purchase : https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/524645-got-my-new-brompton-raw-lacquer-lightweight-s-type.html : he said the delivery took 10 weeks.

While I'm impatiently waiting delivery, I was pondering :
Would the crash in the city mean less commuter purchasers - or will this be out balanced by people changing lifestyle away from cars, thus increasing net purchases.

Are there enough Brompton purchasers here to gather statistics on economic activity by looking at the delivery delay trends ?
Old 04-08-09, 06:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a week ago, I received the following guidance from Brompton: "current lead time at the moment is 7-8 weeks, back in [early] February it was 6 weeks".
Old 04-08-09, 06:03 AM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I believe Bromptons will be fairly recession proof because some might give up cars for them plus special purchase schemes for bikes in some countries. In the UK demand has been Brompton has been bolstered by the Cycle to Work Scheme where you can buy a bike up to £1000 and get tax relief and pay in 12 instalments (plus a 5% pay-off in final month) through participating employers. This makes the Brompton more accessible and affordable to many.

I think real value-addes businesses and products can out-perform the current economic climate. That includes a range of companies from Apple/Intel to smaller ones like Brompton!

Last edited by mulleady; 04-08-09 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 06:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about to take delivery of a new Brompton (hence the request for guidance), and mine is a cycle-to-work-scheme purchase - would have been too expensive otherwise !
Old 04-08-09, 06:22 AM
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ahh you see!

Wish you luck when you get it. I'm a real gadget geek and got mine on the scheme with my employer last year in May 2008. It's the best gadget I've ever had and the most used along with my Asus EEE netbook with built in mobile broadband. The Brommie, the Asus EEE and me go everywhere together lol!
Old 04-08-09, 08:15 AM
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mulleady
Ahh you see!

Wish you luck when you get it. I'm a real gadget geek and got mine on the scheme with my employer last year in May 2008. It's the best gadget I've ever had and the most used along with my Asus EEE netbook with built in mobile broadband. The Brommie, the Asus EEE and me go everywhere together lol!
You dog - I want both a RL Brompton and an Asus EEEpc but since I already have a decent laptop and several bikes, my post war austerity mindset developed in a 1950s childhood tells me to keep my money in the bank and save it for a rainy day. I'm currently pondering giving my car to my son and buying a new one, so maybe I should stop there and stick with the Merc, the Skanky Strida copy, the Scott mountain bike, the old road bike and the 2 year old Dell laptop. On the other hand, since bank interest is virtually going negative and my equities are now less than I paid for them, maybe I should buy a RL Brompton, a Bike Friday Tikit and anything else I fancy while I still have some money and before the four horsemen of the Apocalypse ride into town on their Harleys.

Last edited by EvilV; 04-08-09 at 08:18 AM.