Search
Notices
Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

Route Verte???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Trek520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Route Verte???

I've just found out about the Route Verte and it looks great. . .online. Has anyone biked any parts of it, have anything to say about it? I've never been to Québec, though the region fascinates me. Planning a longish trip there this summer (3 weeks or a month-probably August), and was thinking about biking from Montréal to Gaspé. Is Lac St Jean and the Saguenay worth riding up?

I was also wondering about the costs of accommodations in Québec. I think I'd like to stay in hotels/inns about half the time, maybe all the time if it makes sense (certainly in the cities -- so if anyone knows Québec city. . .).

Oh, and beer. I'm a beer gourmand. I know of Unibroue, of course, but if there are any other quality breweries in Québec, I'd love to hear about it.

For the record, I speak/read (French) French pretty well.

--Jon
Old 04-09-09, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most of it is hard packed dirt, decent riding for 28 mm tires. Some sections are on the roadside (quiet roads). The maps on their website show places to stay such as this https://www.velo.qc.ca/rv/index_e.php?code=monteregie I think cost of accomodation is comparable to the US of A. I have stayed weekend in Laval University in Quebec city (basic facilities) for something like $30 a night (found on internet). There are plenty of microbreweries - I like McAuslan, which is located close to the Lachine canal bike path. PM me when you know the dates you will be in Montreal, I am within a mile of the Lachine canal bike path. There is great scenery and eating between Quebec city and Tadoussac at the mouth of the Saguenay river, if you dont mind climbing some hills (route 138). You could then take the ferry to Rivière du Loup to continue to the Gaspé. The south shore (route 132) would be flatter and all the traffic would be on the parallel Hwy 20 (St Jean Port Joli is the place to buy wood carvings).
Old 04-09-09, 05:28 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 400 + Gazelle Medeo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon Geltner
I've just found out about the Route Verte and it looks great. . .online. Has anyone biked any parts of it, have anything to say about it? I've never been to Québec, though the region fascinates me. Planning a longish trip there this summer (3 weeks or a month-probably August), and was thinking about biking from Montréal to Gaspé. Is Lac St Jean and the Saguenay worth riding up?

I was also wondering about the costs of accommodations in Québec. I think I'd like to stay in hotels/inns about half the time, maybe all the time if it makes sense (certainly in the cities -- so if anyone knows Québec city. . .).

Oh, and beer. I'm a beer gourmand. I know of Unibroue, of course, but if there are any other quality breweries in Québec, I'd love to hear about it.

For the record, I speak/read (French) French pretty well.

--Jon
I can guarantee you that you will remember that ride for a life time. Shortest way from Montreal to Quebec would be to follow Route Verte #5 that follows the north shore of the St-Lawrence River. From there, you take the ferry from Quebec City to Levis and ride along Route Verte #1 all the way to Gaspé.

Two alternate routes are also possible:
1) I prefer to bike the Montreal to Sorel part on the South Shore instead of the north shore. You face a lot less traffic and the sight is much more scenic. There is a great little microbrewery in Sorel, le Loup Rouge (Red Wolfe) which has some amazing beers to boot. You get back to the north shore on the Sorel ferry and continue on from there;
2) At Ste-Flavie, instead of following the Route Verte to Gaspé, you continue along Route 132. The ride is amazing, but make sure you have your climbing legs...

Along the way, you'll want to stop at Frères Houblons in Trois-Rivières.

Microbreweries abound in Quebec. Here is a link to a web site full of information for anyone who wants to discover beer and Quebec https://www.bieresetplaisirs.com/

Unibroue and McAuslin have grown into the "bigger breweries". in Quebec Unibroue, for example, now belongs to the Japanese Sapporo breweries, along with Ontario microbrewery Sleemans.

Saguenay/Lac St-Jean is a ride all on it's own, especially la VéloRoute des Bleuets (Blueberry Bike Route). Three weeks will not be enough to include Veloroute des Bleuets if you wish to get to Gaspé.

You'll love the cycling, you'll go GAGA over the scenery and you'll adore the people you will meet along the way.

For lodging, you can check out the B&Bs along the way on the www.bonjourquebec.com web site. Places that bear the "Bienvenue Cyclistes" accreditation guarantee that you will have a safe place to store your bike at night, basic tools and cycling tourism info.

Cheers,
Ron
Cycling Vacation the Bike & Boat Way

Last edited by RHoude; 04-09-09 at 05:35 PM.