Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bystander Comments

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bystander Comments

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 06:07 AM

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bystander Comments

I've already found that folding bicycles are not for shy people - people notice them and they talk to you. Yesterday, I got two comments I enjoyed:
As I was folding at the Metro yesterday morning, a woman comes up to me and says: "Cool bike. Does it have a motor?" I'm all sweaty from my ride from home to the station, and I reply, "Yep - me ... I'm the motor." She smiled and wished me a good day.
I was waiting for the elevator to head home with my folded and bagged bike on my shoulder after work yesterday. When the elevator opened, one of my co-workers from downstairs came out. He looks at the bike and says, "What happened to your bike? Did you have an accident?" The bike pokes out the top of the Ikea bag, and I admit that it looks like an odd collection of bicycle parts, if you don't know that it's a folder.

Anybody else get some funny comments like these?
Old 04-10-09, 10:58 AM
These go to eleven

Bikes: BF Pocket Crusoe; B Tikit; dust-gathering MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good ones. Here's a few I've gotten at the DC Metro:

1. As I was about to unfold my bike, I felt eyes upon me. I turn and two 8-10yr old kids are watching me.
me: you like my bike?
girl: yeah!
me: it's really handy for the Metro. ( I proceed to unfold bike as they watch)
boy: Man, I really can sure see how handy that thing is!

2. In the elevator, with my bike already folded up: a woman looks at my bike, looks at me, looks back at my bike, then says: How does it do that?

3. The one I get most often: How much does that thing weigh?
Old 04-10-09, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
just got off the bus carrying my tokyo. as i was standing and waiting an older couple inside their car couldn't help it so they stopped and asked me about the bike. the man said 'that's a cool bike'. the lady asked if it will fit in a box to be shipped to asia. and followed-up with 'will 2 bikes fit in the box'. we talked and the man asked where to get it as he is planning on buying one for himself. they left with grins on their face and still couldn't believe that it's a bike....and he shouted to me 'i will be buying one....
Old 04-10-09, 01:40 PM

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot of people comment about the Birdy, "man, that thing sure does fly". I usually just shrug, smile and say "yeah"
Old 04-10-09, 02:53 PM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had some engineering student on the trian comment " look at that for great engineering, not like we would do!",at my mezzo folded.
Old 04-11-09, 11:36 AM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I get comments and questions every time I take one of my folding bikes out. I give out my World Of Folding Bicycles Website series addresses out to all interested parties. Most people that ask are very interested and motivated to buy ones(s) for themselves.
Old 04-11-09, 02:20 PM
lube addict

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently rode to our local supermarket on my Strida where I folded it up and placed it just inside one of the entrances for a few minutes while I picked up a couple of items. I knew it would be safe there in that particular store. By the time I returned less than four minutes later five people had gathered around looking it over - they were waiting for me to return. I spent most of my time in the market answering their questions. They were impressed by the design and the quick fold/unfold. The Strida website decal is right on the frame so a couple of them took note. I forewarned them about sticker shock and mentioned there are other manufacturers of folding bikes with a lower price point.
Old 04-12-09, 05:21 PM
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People stop me all the time and tell me how cool it is or how "cute" it is. They ask how much it weighs or how "fast" it goes, lol! I don't mind answering their questions.
Old 04-12-09, 06:09 PM
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's funny, I've never had any comments on my dahon or bike Friday at all. Just a few comments on some of the raleighs I was commissioned to work on.
Old 04-12-09, 07:20 PM
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some comments can be a bit irksome, like the buff triathlete lady who rides by on her carbon fiber bike, and thinking she is the authority on all things bicycle related says to me "hey, your seatpost is way too high, you oughta lower it"...
I guess I cant blame her for her ignorance, still a bit annoying...
Old 04-12-09, 07:45 PM
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yangmusa
A lot of people comment about the Birdy, "man, that thing sure does fly". I usually just shrug, smile and say "yeah"
Mine does fly.

(When packed up in a suitcase and checked in with United Airlines. )
Old 04-13-09, 01:01 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Sonce I ride with roadies from time to time, not necessarily the same people, I usually get comments like "Is it harder to pedal". I usually answer that "If I get dropped, I won't be able to blame the bike."
Old 04-13-09, 02:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everytime I'm out and about with my Brompton, I get at least one person come up and ask me about the bike. Most times, they are amazed at how small it folds. Plus I get a LOT of onlookers while waiting for the light to turn green at the interesection or while in stores shopping.

I try to seize every opportunity to educate and entertain. The more bicycle riders on the road the better. Never get annoyed. We all should try to be ambassadors for our sport.
Old 04-13-09, 02:51 AM

Bikes: '07 Giant Talon, '08 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket 16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do any other bike friday riders get the stupid "but it's not friday yet" comment?
Old 04-13-09, 07:37 AM
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do get a lot of comments, most people are very impressed with how quickly and easily it folds up. I do sometimes get asked if it has a motor, and I frequently get asked where I got it and how much it cost.
Old 04-13-09, 09:49 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"fantastic!" is a common response to me unfolding my mezzo.

My Diblasi unfolding instantley often got the reponse "blimey!" ,or ocassional references to James bond type gadgets !
Old 04-13-09, 10:35 AM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get a lot of the usual comments (as above), but my favorite is when people are looking at the bike out of the corner of their eyes, and trying to decide if they should ask me about it. Sometimes I'll get that for a whole train ride. I'll strike up a conversation when I'm feeling social. (Usually on the way home.)

My bands:
Old 04-13-09, 01:06 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
  • "Look at that guy folding his bike into a pocket eyeglass case!"
  • "How much does it cost?"
  • "Isn't it hard pedaling those small wheels" (response, pointing at chainring then cog, "It's geared")
Old 04-14-09, 03:55 PM
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My favorite was riding by a few high school students, and hearing one of them yell, "What the f*** is THAT?!"
Old 04-14-09, 04:21 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x136
My favorite was riding by a few high school students, and hearing one of them yell, "What the f*** is THAT?!"
*ahem* are you sure they were only referring to the bike?
Old 04-14-09, 07:56 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite bystander comment happened on a cold morning ride. We were waiting around at the start. A rider comes up, sizes up my Helios with 20" wheels. "You know, everything shrinks in the cold."
Old 04-14-09, 09:11 PM
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
*ahem* are you sure they were only referring to the bike?
Considering what I tend to look like when commuting on cold mornings, you're probably right.
Old 04-15-09, 01:49 PM

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Arriving home after a ride on my Xootr Swift I was approached by a couple of 8/9 year old boys who asked "Hey mister, what kinda bike is that?" I showed them how it folded and one of them exclaimed, "Cor, that's cool - gotta have a shot of this!" He then produced a camera cell phone and started snapping away. He was about 9 years old and had a better cell phone than me - and he knew how to use it!
Old 04-15-09, 03:04 PM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"I heard about those before, they are called Bike Friday" (about my Brompton)

"Is it a kids bike you customized?" (only heard this one once).

"Wow, looks really good. Can't wait to see it when you finish, with the frame painted and everything" (More than once, talking about the Raw Lacquer Brompton)
Old 04-15-09, 03:45 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Being asked of my dualdrive Mezzo.

" does it have 3 gears",( ask either in a snard way, or due to being innocentley unaware)

"No, its got 27 ,highest gear is higher than a mountain bike"

"oh", then considers next question more carefully.

On another ocassion a mountain biker said of my folded Brompton,"these folding bikers are OK for what they are"
I replyed, "yes, if I want to go faster than a mountian bike I use my other folding bike"

I feel this thread is for comments other than the usuall small wheel misconceptions, so I will restrict myself to two comments of this type!

I find I get few ,if any, genuine negerative comments concerning folders with dropped bars. I have had one such bike described as "sick", though, and another mezzo owner once commented " what have you done to your mezzo handle bars!"

I one unfolded my Mezzo in the train station whilst holding a coffee in a take out cup. However, as I flicked the bike open the pressure in my hand spirted some coffee out the lid and hit a man wearing a suit. He did not notice and I could not tell if there was any mark, but I owned up to him. He did not even look at his suite when I told him and replied, " well it was woth it to see that bike unfold!"

Love his attitute.

Last edited by bhkyte; 04-15-09 at 03:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.