Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

do it all clipless

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

do it all clipless

Old 04-10-09, 11:35 AM

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Motobecane Vent Noir, 2006 Trek 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do it all clipless

So basically the title says it all. I mountain bike mainly, but plan on actually getting into road biking this summer and then touring next summer so I want to find a clipless pedal for all types of riding. If anyone else has an all around pedal I'd love to hear what it is. Or if you think i should just money up and get two different types of pedals. Open to all suggestions, but remember college kid and money is tight. Thanks guys.
Old 04-10-09, 11:59 AM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can wear mountain shoes (and run mountain pedals) for road, but wearing road shoes (and running road pedals) for mountain wouldn't be such a great idea. Reason being is mountain shoes have tread and a slightly recessed cleat, so you're able to walk in them. Generally the platform on a mountain pedal is a little smaller, and the shoe won't be *quite* as stiff (though many high end XC mountain shoes are pretty stiff), but a mountain shoe-pedal combo should serve you just fine. If you're on a budget, check out Shimano SPD's (M520's are Shimano's entry-level). Cheap but still a really good pedal. I run M520's and M540's on my mountain bikes. Other popular choices are Time ATAC and CrankBrothers EggBeaters/Candy, though they're both a bit pricier. CB also makes a cheaper pedal called the Smarty, but I've heard quite a few negative reviews on them. Time makes some cheaper pedals too...don't know much about them though, and they're still a bit more expensive than SPD's. Also, it's better to save money on the pedal and splurge on shoes. A good fitting shoe is really important. Try on as many as you can and figure out what fits best. Personally, I like Sidi and Specialized's offerings, but it's also worth checking out what other companies (Shimano, Pearl Izumi, 661, Adidas, Diadora, etc) are offering.
Old 04-10-09, 12:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figured I'd be riding a mountain pedal and shoe for everything I guess I could have just asked if anyone had any complaints with with doing it.
Old 04-10-09, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went back to toe clips for most of my riding several years ago, because I didn't go any faster or feel any better with clipless and I had trouble finding size 15 cycling shoes. Most of the guys I ride with who use one system, though (it's pretty common around here), are riding Eggbeaters with mountain shoes for everything.
Old 04-10-09, 01:24 PM
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used a road specific shoe and pedal a long time ago (10 years ago) when I was doing mostly road riding, charity rides, centuries, that sort of stuff. Hated it when I was off the bike, though; while on the bike it was nice, it was not crucial so just went with the same mountain pedals I use (Ritchey v.2s which I stocked up on long ago and am now down to the last several pairs, and out of multi position cleats, wish I had some more of those). Now I can get off the bike and not do the slippery floor duck dance...
Old 04-10-09, 01:40 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Crank Brothers.

For your mountain bike:
https://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater.php
or
https://www.crankbrothers.com/mallet.php
or
https://www.crankbrothers.com/acid.php
or
https://www.crankbrothers.com/candy.php
Cleats are included with all of the above.

For the road bike:
https://www.crankbrothers.com/candy.php
or
https://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater.php
or, if you can find it,
https://www.crankbrothers.com/quattro.php
And all three of those work with:
https://www.crankbrothers.com/3hole_cleat.php?itemId=
which bolts to the majority of road shoes, or use:
https://www.crankbrothers.com/quattro...p?itemId=74650
for road shoes with a 2-hole pattern.
Old 04-10-09, 01:47 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I should sum up why I posted all of those specific links...

If you go CB, you won't be so restricted as to which shoe you use with which pedal. The plain cleats work with every pedal, so you can use your MTB shoes whenever you want.

The Quattro cleats only really work with Eggbeater, Candy, and Quattro pedals because the horseshoe-shaped part keeps the cleat from reaching the clips in the pedals with larger platforms (Mallet, Acid, etc).

In short: if you have MTB-style shoes, or any of the more casual "SPD Compatible" shoes, you can ride on any bike that you've equipped with CB pedals. Then, for your long distance or high-speed road days, you can use hard-soled road-specific shoes without changing pedals.
Old 04-10-09, 01:49 PM
crash 5

Bikes: 90s? serotta t-max, 09' planet x ti frame w/sram force, '10 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
time atac xs w/ a sporty mountain shoe. itll be stiff enough for your road needs, times dont clog up with off road gunk very easily and youll walk fine while off the bike. youll have more float for happier knees. youll be locked in more securely (opinions differ) than spd, especially when you have crud in your cleat, but times are going to be more expensive. youll get what you pay for. jmo
Old 04-10-09, 01:57 PM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
You can wear mountain shoes (and run mountain pedals) for road, but wearing road shoes (and running road pedals) for mountain wouldn't be such a great idea. Reason being is mountain shoes have tread and a slightly recessed cleat, so you're able to walk in them. Generally the platform on a mountain pedal is a little smaller, and the shoe won't be *quite* as stiff (though many high end XC mountain shoes are pretty stiff), but a mountain shoe-pedal combo should serve you just fine. If you're on a budget, check out Shimano SPD's (M520's are Shimano's entry-level). Cheap but still a really good pedal. I run M520's and M540's on my mountain bikes. Other popular choices are Time ATAC and CrankBrothers EggBeaters/Candy, though they're both a bit pricier. CB also makes a cheaper pedal called the Smarty, but I've heard quite a few negative reviews on them. Time makes some cheaper pedals too...don't know much about them though, and they're still a bit more expensive than SPD's. Also, it's better to save money on the pedal and splurge on shoes. A good fitting shoe is really important. Try on as many as you can and figure out what fits best. Personally, I like Sidi and Specialized's offerings, but it's also worth checking out what other companies (Shimano, Pearl Izumi, 661, Adidas, Diadora, etc) are offering.
Good advice. I run Time ATAC's. Aliums & SEs. Different pedals, same cleat system.
Old 04-10-09, 02:11 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I use SPD pedals and Lake Mtn Bike shoes on all my bicycles and all my rides ... road & mtn.
Old 04-10-09, 02:15 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano M520s

I have 'em on my mountain bike and road bike. They're on the cheap (60$ a pair at my LBS). They're really tough (smack 'em into the rocks and they're just fine). You can adjust tension accordingly (looser on my mountain bike is how I have it set up).

Really good reviews from others who have tried 'em too.
Old 04-10-09, 08:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweet guys i'll definitely be giving a look at all the different stuff here and thanks for the input
Old 04-10-09, 09:08 PM
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Another vote for shimano m520s. I have them on my cyclocross/road bike and today i put them on my old mountain bike and loved them on there as well. I think you can get them for $10-20 less than msrp if you look around.
Old 04-10-09, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Using Crank Bros. Candys on my road & MTB. Currently have only mountain bike shoes, but they work well enough for my needs.
Old 04-10-09, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also went with the SPD M-520s, with Shimano touring shoes. Haven't yet tried any others but definitely no complaints. They were great during the winter, too.
Old 04-11-09, 12:54 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Gonna agree that Shimano M520's are suitable for road and MTB's. Thats what I have- but as I bought new pedals for the road bike- I got the road version of A520's.

Unless you are an out and out roadie- you do not need the Road cycling shoe that is not easy to walk in. The MTB shoe will still work on the road.

Another point I will make. I have been clipless for around 12 years. My oldest pair of M520's are 10 years old. Absolutely no problems with the pedals in that time and in fact the oldest pair are M515's- The ones that were supeceded by the 520's as the 515's were causing problems. So can vouch for length of life of them aswell.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 04-11-09 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-11-09, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While we're talking about the M520s, can anyone confirm that they are supposed to have slight play in the bearings? Mine are about five months old, and as far as I know I've always been able to wiggle them on the spindle with my hand. Nice and smooth if I turn them, and I don't notice the play when riding.
Old 04-11-09, 07:37 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard
While we're talking about the M520s, can anyone confirm that they are supposed to have slight play in the bearings? Mine are about five months old, and as far as I know I've always been able to wiggle them on the spindle with my hand. Nice and smooth if I turn them, and I don't notice the play when riding.
No, I don't believe you should have any wiggle in the bearings, but I don't think it's something you need to worry about either. I have two pairs of 520's, one a year old with a few thousand miles on and one I just unboxed yesterday to put on my new MTB, neither have any wiggle at all. If you think it's an issue, perhaps you just need to service the bearings ( link ). I've never done this, though, and don't think I'll need to for another long while. Note also that the special shimano tools to do this will cost you just shy of $40, for which you can probably find another pair of m520's

I also have a pair of m540's on my road bike, and while they will spin a bit better if I spin it with my finger, this is functionally not an issue when riding, so other than weight it's not a massive difference to the 520's on my other bikes.

Last edited by Crast; 04-11-09 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-12-09, 11:25 AM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
I was told by the Crank Bros. people that the Quattro is discontinued. They will be "concentrating on their off road components...". I've used Quattros for 3+ years now and really like them. Bummer...
Old 04-12-09, 12:55 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
I was told by the Crank Bros. people that the Quattro is discontinued. They will be "concentrating on their off road components...". I've used Quattros for 3+ years now and really like them. Bummer...
True. But, while the Quattro pedal is discontinued (which is why I typed, "If you can find it"), the three- and two-hole road cleats will still be produced. If your Quattro pedals ever wear out, you'll be able to keep using those shoes on Eggbeater or Candy pedals.

Having used Quattro cleats on both Quattro and Eggbeater pedals, I'll say that I couldn't tell much difference at all.
Old 04-12-09, 01:02 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use eggbeaters and shimano MT40 shoes. Works for me. I have candies on one bike but I don't like them as much as the eggbeaters.
Old 04-12-09, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Most of the guys I ride with who use one system, though (it's pretty common around here), are riding Eggbeaters with mountain shoes for everything.
Me too, just picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro shoes, haven't tried them yet, but they would do for road use as well, not as stiff as an out and out racing shoe, but otherwise.....
Old 04-12-09, 05:21 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
True. But, while the Quattro pedal is discontinued (which is why I typed, "If you can find it"), the three- and two-hole road cleats will still be produced. If your Quattro pedals ever wear out, you'll be able to keep using those shoes on Eggbeater or Candy pedals.

Having used Quattro cleats on both Quattro and Eggbeater pedals, I'll say that I couldn't tell much difference at all.
As far as I know, Crank Bros. has not made a public announcement about this redirection for their business. I found out about it on BikeForums. When I contacted C/B, I got the "concentrating on..." E-mail...
Old 04-12-09, 05:36 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What CB told me via email was that the pedal is discontinued and that the cleat remains in production.
Old 04-12-09, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have M520's on both my mtn bike and my road bike. They're great do-it-all pedals for the $$$.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.