Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

George Hincapie

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
George Hincapie

After watching Paris Roubaix yesterday I began to wonder where Hincapie actually stands in the European scene. After watching Versus for years they tout him as one of the great riders of the Classics but he doesn't have the resume to back it; he's touted as the favorite year in and year out but bad luck always seems to be on his side.

So my question is mainly for the Euros on this board...is George Hincapie respected as a top rider there or is this just wishful thinking?
Old 04-13-09, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great question -- I had the same thoughts as well!
Old 04-13-09, 08:57 AM
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
After watching Versus for years they tout him as one of the great riders of the Classics
He's one of the "great" American riders in the Classics. "Great" in relative terms to the rest of the American pros. Not to the rest of the world.

And it was Versus, so they needed a U.S. story line to yap about to keep viewers enthralled.
Old 04-13-09, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
He's one of the "great" American riders in the Classics. "Great" in relative terms to the rest of the American pros. Not to the rest of the world.

And it was Versus, so they needed a U.S. story line to yap about to keep viewers enthralled.
Correct...

Ghent Wevelgem, Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, 2nd Paris-Roubaix in 2005...anybody that wins a mountain stage in the Tour de France is good with me regardless of whatever else they've done.

The biggest diasppointment had to be 2001 when he was isolated at P-R against Domo with Museeuw, and Knaven.
Old 04-13-09, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97

Kinda what I thought. As for my opinion I think he's probably one of cycling's dissapointments, had he not had such bad luck, and spent his best years as a support man for LA he may have done better.

I do think he has worst luck in the pro peloton; the only other person I can think of with his quality and lack of luck is Beloki.
Old 04-13-09, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like George, but I'm usually disappointed when I root for him. I think he may lack that desperate hunger to win that the truly great ones have.
Old 04-13-09, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Cycling mags say George is a nice guy.. Each Roubaix we root for George. Then the great classics come and he disappears into the woodwork. It used to be , he was Armstrong's second hand rider. Not now.. Still each Roubaix, I root for George. As they say, good guys come in second or maybe sixth.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-13-09, 11:28 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by JBBOOKS
I think he may lack that desperate hunger to win that the truly great ones have.
Rae Dawn Chong could school him on changing rear wheels also.
Old 04-13-09, 11:54 AM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I missed it Does Versus replay the Cyclysm?

- Will Rogers
Old 04-13-09, 01:10 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
. As for my opinion I think he's probably one of cycling's dissapointments, .
2 Classics wins, Second Paris Roubaix (and one of the leading protagnists of that race for a number of years) 3rd Tour of Flanders, Multiple top ten finishes in the Classics. Twice US Pro champion, Stage Winner in the Tour of France, Dauphine Libere, Tour of California, and a number of other multi day races.

Overal winner Tour of Missouri. and 14th on GC in the TDF (when he isn't a Grand tour GC rider)

If your name isn't Armstrong or Lemond,anyone should be so lucky to be such a dissapointment.

Its unfortunate that Hincapie has not won one of the monuments, and addmittedly he is not Tom Boonen, but the only standard by which Hincapie's career could be considered a dissapointment is the grossly unrealistic one set by some of the medai, and uneducated american fans.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-13-09, 01:51 PM

Bikes: yes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pull for George every year, especially at Paris-Roubaix. He doesn't have the best luck, for sure. I know he's getting older, but I hope he can pull off the one Paris-Roubaix victory he craves. I've been to his wins in Philly and Greenville at the US Pro Champs, flew to San Fran for the Gran Prix, ridden with him in Washington, DC and he truly is one of the nicest guys.

Can anyone change a wheel as fast as Rae Dawn Chong? I mean really!
Old 04-13-09, 04:37 PM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great riders make their own luck.

He has won one minor-classic and done well in others. I respect anyone who races for as long as he has. That said, I don't think he's every truly lived up to his potential.

It's not really fair to him that Phil and Paul seem to have a permanent hard-on for the guy. Phil in particular seems to about blow a gasket every time George moves to the front of a pack.
Old 04-13-09, 05:12 PM
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Rae Dawn Chong could school him on changing rear wheels also.
ouch!
Old 04-13-09, 05:27 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
2 Classics wins, Second Paris Roubaix (and one of the leading protagnists of that race for a number of years) 3rd Tour of Flanders, Multiple top ten finishes in the Classics. Twice US Pro champion, Stage Winner in the Tour of France, Dauphine Libere, Tour of California, and a number of other multi day races.

Overal winner Tour of Missouri. and 14th on GC in the TDF (when he isn't a Grand tour GC rider)

If your name isn't Armstrong or Lemond,anyone should be so lucky to be such a dissapointment.

Its unfortunate that Hincapie has not won one of the monuments, and addmittedly he is not Tom Boonen, but the only standard by which Hincapie's career could be considered a dissapointment is the grossly unrealistic one set by some of the medai, and uneducated american fans.
Depending how one reads what you wrote, Andy Hampsten, could possibly be added to the list. At the least he would not be lucky to have results better than George.

Though it seems he shares one thing with Hincape, being in the shadow on another American rider.
Old 04-13-09, 06:22 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Lifetime Monument Tally

1. Merckx 19 (all five)
2. De Vlaeminck 11 (all five)
4. Kelly, Coppi 9
6. Van Looy 8 (all five)
7. Bartali 7
8. Museeuw, Argentin, Binda, Moser 6
14. Van Steenbergen, Bettini, Boonen 5
20. Zabel, Raas, Godefroot, Gimondi, Kuiper 4

Leaving off a few obviously, but Boonen could be a top 5 of all time some day.
Old 04-14-09, 05:49 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by Keith99
Depending how one reads what you wrote, Andy Hampsten, could possibly be added to the list. At the least he would not be lucky to have results better than George.

Though it seems he shares one thing with Hincape, being in the shadow on another American rider.
True, and I didn't mean to make a backhanded slap at other accomplished American riders.

Rather that its unreasonable to call Hincapie a dissapointment for not living up to unreasonable expectations.
Old 04-16-09, 01:50 PM
I read more than post

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True, and I didn't mean to make a backhanded slap at other accomplished American riders.

Rather that its unreasonable to call Hincapie a dissapointment for not living up to unreasonable expectations.

Hincape is well known and well liked in Europe. Luxembourgers, French, Beligians all know his palmares and respect him because he truely respects the sport. He is genuine - an important factor for European cycling fans.

He may be a perenial bridesmaid when it comes to PR but the images of him covered in dirt year after year are what impress people here.

Cycling is a lifeline for folks here - it is what baseball is to the US. Hincape knows that and therefore he is liked.
Old 04-16-09, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Cervelo, Pinarello, Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luxroadie
Hincape is well known and well liked in Europe. Luxembourgers, French, Beligians all know his palmares and respect him because he truely respects the sport. He is genuine - an important factor for European cycling fans.

He may be a perenial bridesmaid when it comes to PR but the images of him covered in dirt year after year are what impress people here.

Cycling is a lifeline for folks here - it is what baseball is to the US. Hincape knows that and therefore he is liked.
Great post.
Old 04-17-09, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hincapie is one of the best Euro pro domestiques America has produced. That's it.
Old 04-20-09, 03:12 PM
pan y agua

Originally Posted by rufvelo
Hincapie is one of the best Euro pro domestiques America has produced. That's it.
Name a domestique that has 2 classics wins, 2 national championships, a Tour de France Stage win, a Dauphine Libere stage win, and a week long tour GC win?
Old 04-20-09, 03:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Name a domestique that has 2 classics wins, 2 national championships, a Tour de France Stage win, a Dauphine Libere stage win, and a week long tour GC win?
Knaven's palmares come close. If being american is a requistite then none.
Old 04-20-09, 03:59 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
National Championships can be a bit misleading. After all the best 2 cyclists of all time, at least based on total results, only have 1 national championship each.