Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Saludos!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saludos!

Hey everyone! My name is Greg and I'm happy to have joined your community. In the past I've found a lot of useful tips from the bike forum and find it's time to take part.

My hometown is upstate NY. I've been a cycling enthusiast for 20 years, mostly a lone rider never having taken part in a race or even a group ride. I just bought a used GT zaskar to start mtbiking again and also use a steel Bianchi cross bike for commuting and short romps. I'm in the process of putting together a Salsa chili con crosso w/ who knows what parts I can find. I'm also hounding my three year old son to keep trying to ride w/o his training wheels. Haven't quite found the bribe that has worked yet.

Best to you all! I look forward to this experience.
Old 04-22-09, 09:16 AM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Hi Greg,

Welcome to Bikeforums.

"Upstate New York"? That's a very broad area. Although, myself, I only say I'm from Long Island. (Long Island is "Downstate NY"),

Great to hear you have three bikes. One is never enough.

As for your son, don't worry, he's very young yet and can still ride with training wheels.
Old 04-22-09, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I taught my kids to ride by never putting in training wheels, taking off the pedals and lowering the seat so they could push on the ground. Then I let them try on a school parking lot that had a slight slope. I have seen other children learn by riding with training wheels until the training wheels fell off.
Old 04-22-09, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! Albany, to be exact, Hotbike.
I'll try taking off the pedals and lowering the seat. They sell learning bikes w/o a drie train now. I'll like your idea much better AP.
Thanks!