Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

rear brake choices on a Trek 520

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am putting together a new Trek 520 that still has the original Avid V-brakes installed. I have a full fender and a Tubus Logo rack also on the rear. The Logo and the rear V-brake don't mix on the Trek 520 because the left top support arm on the Logo impedes the metal brake cable enclosure from clamping the left side of the V-brake to the rim, as it should.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what kind of brake works best with a semi cluttered set up like this? Caliper, Cantilever?
Thanks!
Old 04-24-09, 05:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would look to modify the rack arms before replacing the brake. V-brakes levers have a long cable pull and don't work well with traditional canti's or calipers.
Old 04-24-09, 07:24 AM

Bikes: Trek 520, Gary Fisher Big Sur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2007 Trek 520, but got around it by lowering the contact point between the brake cable and right arm (see photo). It's just enough (literally a millimeter) to prevent contact between the Tubus arm and brake system. Hope this helps!

Last edited by chrisch; 04-25-09 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-24-09, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too had he same problem. But, as chrisch's picture shows, I resolved it by using the fittings in the inside of the seat stays rather than the ones on the outside. You could probably also put a slight bend in the Tubus rack mounting rods (they are solid steel).
Old 04-24-09, 08:21 AM
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
these might work