Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New bike recommendations - $1500-2500

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted a month or so ago about a dilemma of flying my bike back to Canada for the summer from the Middle East. The concensus was that I should just get a new bike, to have one home and away. I didn't think this was an option, but I've been able to pick up a job on the side that will put a bunch of cash in the new bike fund. My plan is to leave my current bike, a 61cm Scott Speedster S30 with 105 and a custom rear wheel, here in Qatar while I'm home in Canada for the summer. I need to be doing some research on what I want while I'm here so I don't waste too much of my 10 weeks of summer looking for a bike. I really like the fit of my Scott, but am definitely open to any and all brands and suggestions. I'll be looking at bikes up to $2500 so I can upgrade a little and know I have it waiting for me when I go home next year. Online it can be a bit of a pain to find pricing, etc. so I am wondering what you would buy if you could get a new bike with up to $2500 (US or Canadian)? Let me know!
Old 04-26-09, 08:14 PM
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Louis Garneau Axis 4.0! They're a Canadian company and their bikes are available all over Canada.

Old 04-27-09, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Err, one that fits your body shape. You'll be getting a well-made, well-parted bike at that price, so pick the one that fits you best. Seriously, how long is your torso? Your arms? Your legs? How far do you lean forward? are your femurs longer or your calves? Etc etc etc. A good bike shop should do a better job of getting a well fitting bike than the internet.
Old 04-27-09, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd buy a Specialized Tarmac or Roubaix. I loved the Roubaix Expert that I test-rode last year, but the Roubaix Elite was: 1) much cheaper, and 2) probably 90-95% as good. The Tarmac is just as nice (I test-rode an S-works SL2; Wow!) but has a more race-oriented geometry. Both bikes are light, stiff, and surprisingly compliant. The "Expert" models list for US$3700, but I've seen local dealers selling them for as low as $3000. The "Comp" models retail for US$2700 and the "Elite" models retail for US$2200. In my area, those prices are somewhat negotiable...

Allow me to suggest that you buy a bike that is somewhat different in purpose than the one you currently own. If your Qatar bike is a road bike then you might, for example, consider buying a cyclocross bike for use in Canada.
Old 04-28-09, 02:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good bike shop should do a better job of getting a well fitting bike than the internet.
I definitely agree with you there and am not planning on buying it online or making a decision before I ride some different models. I am just floating it out there to see what other people are happy with and if there are some other brands or models that I haven't really been thinking about. It will give me a chance to start seeking out dealers and see what will be available in large sizes come the end of June when I get back.

If your Qatar bike is a road bike then you might, for example, consider buying a cyclocross bike for use in Canada.
I've definitely thought about that, but I think I really just want to step up in road bikes. I really enjoy road riding and plan to be coming back to Canada in a year or so. This would give me a great bike to move home to. In addition, prices in Qatar are so inflated at the local shops that I am hoping to sell my current bike here before I leave and get near or more than everything back that I paid for it. If not, I'll bring it home in my shipment and sell it locally or keep it as a backup.