Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

10 speed shifters with 9 speed cassettes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 01:55 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone tried to run 10 speed shifters with 9 speed cassettes...perhaps by using alternative cable routing on the derailluer as suggested by Sheldon Brown...https://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html ? How has this worked for you?

I maintain three 9-speed road/cx bikes and really don't see any value in 10 speed (mostly downside, actually) but I am wanting new sti shifters on a couple of them. I also run a 9 speed mtb cassette on my cx bike and really want to be able to keep doing so in the future.

Can I take advantage of better pricing/ergonomics on the 10 speed shifters now and still run 9 speed cassettes/chains until I decide to do otherwise?

EDIT: just saw this https://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm Any feedback on this method as well?

Last edited by Sawtooth; 04-27-09 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this out: https://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm
Old 04-27-09, 02:08 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackTheLadd
Thanks, I was a little late in my EDIT.
Old 04-27-09, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The jtec shiftmate works pretty well. Haven't tried it from 9-10 speed shimano, but I have used one for a campy 9 (shifter and derailleur) to shimano 9 (cassette) setup. It worked fine.

Your other option is to keep everything exactly the same and run a 10 speed chain and cassette. You are literally that close to a 10 speed setup if you already have the shifter. But yea, if you still have chain and cassette you want to use, I'd strongly recommend the jtec shiftmate.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 04-27-09, 02:35 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Your other option is to keep everything exactly the same and run a 10 speed chain and cassette. You are literally that close to a 10 speed setup if you already have the shifter. But yea, if you still have chain and cassette you want to use, I'd strongly recommend the jtec shiftmate.
Tks.
Ultimately, they will all be moved over to 10 speed but hopefully I can delay it on the cross bike until 12/32 cassettes come in 10 speed as well. I just can't give up my off road gearing yet.
This shiftmate thing may be just the ticket.

I notice that it does not seem to work for double tap shifters down to 9 speed cassettes....does anyone know otherwise? I sure would love to get away from Shimano. I am sick of replacing "high end" sti shifters.
Old 04-27-09, 07:40 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use 10spd ultegra shifterd with a 9spd shimano cassette. I have the alternative routing and set it up so that the last shift goes one click farther than my shortest gear (more tension). It is quieter than with sora 9spd shifters, as the ultegra shifters have trimmimg, the sora did not.

I also plan to swap to a 10spd cassette when I find what I'm looking for. I got a pair of said ultegra shifters for $120 and couldn't pass them up.
Old 04-27-09, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Tks.
Ultimately, they will all be moved over to 10 speed but hopefully I can delay it on the cross bike until 12/32 cassettes come in 10 speed as well.
IRD makes them.
Old 04-27-09, 08:25 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys...great feedback!
Old 04-27-09, 08:54 PM
takin' it to the streets

Bikes: 1999 Kona Kapu; late 70's/early 80's Araya road bike/commuter bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmanvt
I use 10spd ultegra shifterd with a 9spd shimano cassette. I have the alternative routing and set it up so that the last shift goes one click farther than my shortest gear (more tension). It is quieter than with sora 9spd shifters, as the ultegra shifters have trimmimg, the sora did not.

I also plan to swap to a 10spd cassette when I find what I'm looking for. I got a pair of said ultegra shifters for $120 and couldn't pass them up.
Can you elaborate on this? I might have to run this set up sooner or later as my old Ultegra shifters are going (6500 from 1999).

Are you talking about using the "B" style cable routing that Sheldon Brown shows on his website?

Also, what do you mean that you have it set up to go one click further than your shortest gear?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-09, 04:46 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by malpag3
Are you talking about using the "B" style cable routing that Sheldon Brown shows on his website?
Yes, AND....

Originally Posted by malpag3
Also, what do you mean that you have it set up to go one click further than your shortest gear?
Your going to have 9 gears but 10 index positions of the shifter. You can put the "10th" index past your smallest cog or past your biggest cog. If you put it past the smallest, the cable goes completely slack. Not enough to cause a snag, but still completely loose. If you put the "10th" index past your biggest cog, it just adds a bit of tension to the cable as your RD will already be at the limit.