Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Florida is worst state in the USA for bicycling (again)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Florida is worst state in the USA for bicycling (again)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 12:36 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great list of the normal drivers !
How about a 'bad' list too ?
Old 04-29-09, 12:38 PM

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all FL Rednecks are evil. You just picked the wrong team.

Old 04-29-09, 12:44 PM
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kwrides

Florida is not a great state to cycling in if you want to develop your hill climbing skills. However, these two women are a prime example that not everything in Florida is flat.
Old 04-29-09, 12:49 PM
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Yes, that's Gator fans for you.
Oh like the bruce pearl rap video is any better.

Puhleaze.
Old 04-29-09, 01:00 PM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28608 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Me smells jealousy.
Old 04-29-09, 01:06 PM
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Me smells jealousy.
Yeah, I'll think about the jealousy next time I walk by our national championship trophy case.
Old 04-29-09, 01:08 PM
Go Buckeyes!

Bikes: Fuji road bike and a totally crap MTB that I use(d) for gnarly trail riding.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh, don't even remind me.

- Videotape

R A D I O H E A D
Old 04-29-09, 01:11 PM

Bikes: 2008 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
DocJ,

I realize that I've taken the wrong apporach in this thread in attempt to explain to people that have never ridden here that Florida is a diverse place with some great places to ride.

So let's not tell them they can ride near Orlando around Clermont through beaucolic scenery with actual hills, and little traffic.

Or that they can ride around Ocala, and think they were in Kentucky Bluegrass country.

Or they can ride through miles of Orange gorves and along connecting lakes in Polk county.

Or that the can ride from Amelia Island to St Augustine, 75 miles along the coast with designated bikelanes, and/or bike friendly roads, with sweeping vistas of the Atlantic ocean.

Or that they can ride to Key West across miles of the Gulf of Mexico, with panoramic views, with much of it on protected bike path (and planned to soon be complete to Key West)

Or that they can ride in the Panhandle with rolling Farmland.

And lets not mention that Florida law requires the DOT to build a bike lane with every new or expanded road.

Better to simply keep it ourselves, and let them think the whole state is their stereotypical view of South Florida.
I live in Polk County and between the rednecks and snowbirds it can be dangerous. Also someone needs to tell DOT/Polk County commissioners about the requirement to do bike lanes, because I can tell you that law is being ignored. Other than that we do have some nice areas to ride especially in the Clermont and Ocala areas, and the weather is great...
Old 04-29-09, 01:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
Oh like the bruce pearl rap video is any better.

Puhleaze.
Mixing TN fans and Gator fans isn't a good thing! ha ha ha

As for the OT, in the Orlando area, I won't ride on the city streets. It's never been safe. The new roads are wider with a bike path but I still don't trust drivers. Old habits are hard to break. The good news is county governments are building and connecting nice trails to allow for some great rides. Plus as someone said there are some nice country roads near Clermont that are great rides.
Old 04-29-09, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Virutally all of Florida is temperate during the Winter. Large portions of Texas, and Calfornia don't have a climate that leads to recreational riding all year long. Doesn't Dallas get ice storms in the winter?
I bet that at least 95% of the population of California lives in snow-free parts of the state. I know that my bicycle club in northern California leads rides every day of the year.
Old 04-29-09, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i'll think about the jealousy next time i walk by our national championship trophy case.

Old 04-29-09, 01:14 PM
My idea of fun

Originally Posted by MissKristen
Ugh, don't even remind me.
Sorry, I didn't mean to rub salt in any wounds.

To be fair though, you guys robbed Miami a few years earlier. While I'm not a 'canes fan, and I did root for OSU over LSU, I felt that triple overtime call was just bad.
Old 04-29-09, 01:24 PM
Legs of Steel

Bikes: Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up just outside of Pensacola, FL. The riding sucks! It is so flat that a 35 mile ride feels like a 70 mile ride because you are constantly pedaling or constantly heading into a headwind. The drivers are absolutely horrible! However you have to remember that the majority of Florida residents are either rednecks or transplanted North Easterners....

I'll take TN riding anyday.
Old 04-29-09, 01:32 PM
My idea of fun

Originally Posted by chrisvu05
I grew up just outside of Pensacola, FL. The riding sucks! It is so flat that a 35 mile ride feels like a 70 mile ride because you are constantly pedaling or constantly heading into a headwind. The drivers are absolutely horrible! However you have to remember that the majority of Florida residents are either rednecks or transplanted North Easterners....

I'll take NC riding anyday.
Fixed that for you.
Old 04-29-09, 01:37 PM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28608 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Yeah, I'll think about the jealousy next time I walk by our national championship trophy case.
You are the one who brought up Bruce Pearl, who is 7-1 against the Gators, is he not?
Old 04-29-09, 01:38 PM
175mm crank of love

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZIqSk-Vfk
Old 04-29-09, 01:39 PM
It's a Sledgehammer..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Virutally all of Florida is temperate during the Winter. Large portions of Texas, and Calfornia don't have a climate that leads to recreational riding all year long. Doesn't Dallas get ice storms in the winter?

Certainly you can ride in Texas in the winter, but that doesn't mean there are a lot of casual cyclists and children doing it ,and those are the groups that make up the bulk of the fatalities. I'm pretty sure on a given January day there are more people cycling in So Fl than in say Dallas.

The "warm weather state" is an extremely rough proxie for level of cycling participation. Until you control for either miles, or hours, you can't have a completely accurate picture.

We also lead the nation in lightning strike deaths, because people are outside a lot in Florida.
I wasn't disagreeing with you Merlin... just the basic thread title in general. Btw, I lived in Jax for a couple years in the Navy - not quite the cycling paradise either. I agree with you... let's keep all this to ourselves
Old 04-29-09, 01:41 PM
It's a Sledgehammer..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DocJ,

I realize that I've taken the wrong apporach in this thread in attempt to explain to people that have never ridden here that Florida is a diverse place with some great places to ride.

So let's not tell them they can ride near Orlando around Clermont through beaucolic scenery with actual hills, and little traffic.

Or that they can ride around Ocala, and think they were in Kentucky Bluegrass country.

Or they can ride through miles of Orange gorves and along connecting lakes in Polk county.

Or that the can ride from Amelia Island to St Augustine, 75 miles along the coast with designated bikelanes, and/or bike friendly roads, with sweeping vistas of the Atlantic ocean.

Or that they can ride to Key West across miles of the Gulf of Mexico, with panoramic views, with much of it on protected bike path (and planned to soon be complete to Key West)

Or that they can ride in the Panhandle with rolling Farmland.

And lets not mention that Florida law requires the DOT to build a bike lane with every new or expanded road.

Better to simply keep it ourselves, and let them think the whole state is their stereotypical view of South Florida.
Oops.. replied to the wrong quote ^^^
Old 04-29-09, 01:44 PM
It's a Sledgehammer..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
lies, damn lies and statistics.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
Old 04-29-09, 01:47 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
People ride year round in lots of places. I ride year round in TX, which is NOT a cycling friendly state. I'd wager that AZ has a fair share of year round riders as well. And let's not forget CA. Most of those states are mentioned in the original article...so I think that throws your first hypothesis out the window.
Florida also has double the boating fatalities as Texas and California, with lower population. Does that mean that Florida is a more dangerous place to boat than Texas?

Simple population is not the right denominator for the equation. Unless you've got some data regarding participation, such as hours or miles ridden, its impossible to draw firm conclusions from the statistics.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-29-09, 01:59 PM
My idea of fun

You are the one who brought up Bruce Pearl, who is 7-1 against the Gators, is he not?
But Billy has a pair of balls.

So does Urban.

Old 04-29-09, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kwrides

Don't think so...

Old 04-29-09, 03:00 PM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Florida also has double the boating fatalities as Texas and California, with lower population. Does that mean that Florida is a more dangerous place to boat than Texas?

Simple population is not the right denominator for the equation. Unless you've got some data regarding participation, such as hours or miles ridden, its impossible to draw firm conclusions from the statistics.
I think I've covered this. You can keep bringing up other, completely unrelated things if you want to though.

I think one can easily demonstrate that FL has more boaters than TX. (Though I think data comparing with CA would be interesting.) I don't think you can demonstrate that there are more cyclists on the road all the time. You are arguing from assumptions based on weather. Others have refuted those assumptions about the weather and year round cycling figures. I fail to see where you can continue to conjecture about base rate while arguing from an anecdote.
Old 04-29-09, 03:06 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I think I've covered this. You can keep bringing up other, completely unrelated things if you want to though.

I think one can easily demonstrate that FL has more boaters than TX. (Though I think data comparing with CA would be interesting.) I don't think you can demonstrate that there are more cyclists on the road all the time. You are arguing from assumptions based on weather. Others have refuted those assumptions about the weather and year round cycling figures. I fail to see where you can continue to conjecture about base rate while arguing from an anecdote.

It is all assumptions at this point, no one, including me, has posted data about miles or hours, and without that you can't get the complete picture.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-29-09, 03:07 PM
CAT = 5

Bikes: 2001 Caad 5; PF RS2; Ridley Noah; Trek Fuel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't like the drivers in Florida, stay off the sidewalks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.