Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Big Butt Bicycle Seat

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Big Butt Bicycle Seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Butt Bicycle Seat

I'll skip the long story, but let's just say I have created the situation where I will need to apologize soon. My neighbor is 300 plus pounds, she needs an appropriate seat for her new bicycle, apparently there isn't a website called bigbuttbicycle.com like I told her. Does anyone know of the best really big comfy seat? I actually want to be encouraging (I did put together her indoor exercise bike for her ).....

Anyone know of a good seat?

Thanks,
I'll just sign this "Butt Head"
Old 04-29-09, 12:30 PM

Bikes: Cruzbike Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If possible I would suggest a recumbent or trike for the lady.
Old 04-29-09, 12:36 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
The seat is more about the sit bones than it is about tissue surrounding the hips. Your neighbor likely has normal size sit bones but has more than normal stuff attached to those same bones.

Try a search in the Athena/Clydesdale forum for seat recommendations.
Old 04-29-09, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look for firm seat and flat at the back to take the weight, but narrow at the front so it doesnt rub the inside of her thighs. Ask the shop if they will swap for another model if it doesnt fit.
Old 04-30-09, 10:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try the schwinn "nose-less" saddle. i put it on my cruiser and now can ride comfortably for hours.
Old 05-04-09, 08:22 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately, there is no set formula for seat selection that works for everyone. A lot of people will recommend a seat with limited padding, however I've chatted with dozens of people who only ride because they went with extra padded seats with gel pads over them. And it works wonderfully for them.

I hope she got a bike that can carry 300+ pounds. A lot of bikes are rated for a maximum of 250 or 275.

A lot of beginner riders do like cushy seats, like the Schwinn Pillow Top Cruiser, the Cloud 9 Suspension Cruiser Saddle, and the aforementioned Schwinn No Pressure saddle. All are available from Amazon. And I know people to put gel pads on top of these saddles, which are also available from Amazon and places like Wal-Mart.

You could also search on "Selle Royal" saddles, which are available in a variety of widths and padding.

I'm assuming she got a bike that puts her in an upright seating position, where most of her weight will be on the saddle. If she got a road bike or fitness hybrid, then you wouldn't want a seat as wide as the ones I've listed.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-27-09, 12:42 PM

Bikes: Assorted brand, model, & type

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Extra Large Seat

Lately, bicycle seats for cruisers are available at the LBS. They are Taiwan made and I got the chance to get a wide seat for my Frackers.

Compare the expandable carrier almost the same width with the seat.
Old 09-09-09, 12:57 AM
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get her a Brooks B-190
Old 09-09-09, 02:14 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of bike shops carry very large cruiser saddles. They're not very expensive. Try one.
Old 09-11-09, 02:28 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by elarrecostao
try the schwinn "nose-less" saddle. i put it on my cruiser and now can ride comfortably for hours.
We were looking at one of those for a friend who has difficulty riding because of problems with her "girl parts." The thing is a bench.

My wife and I have been using the padded Schwinn cruiser seats. I find it more comfortable than the old saddle that was on my bike, even though neither of us is very "big." Maybe I'll figure out why I'm supposed to like light saddles instead of the cushy, springy ones- until then, I'm fine with it.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-12-09, 10:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spongy Wonder

I believe the Spongy Wonder Mark 9's are rated up to 330 pounds. They are a very simple stainless steel, replaceable foam, with cover design made in Canada.

I found them when getting back into cycling due to my excess weight. Before losing weight normal saddles, even most anatomical designs with cut outs, caused numbness problems. I almost gave up cycling again. Surprisingly the worst saddles were the really cushy ones as my weight pushed my sit bones down into the seat and the middle pushed up (a like new one is laying on my garage floor if you want it).

A relative developed prostatitus, and the Spongy Wonder seat was recommended to him by someone. He now swears by it as well.

There is a similar seat called the spiderflex that has a spring in the design. I have never seen one personally, and therefore can't recommend them (although they may be great).

These are not cheap solutions, but beware the cheap seats. My sister tried one of the $20ish off ebay, and it is almost unrideable. Most cheap designs are too long front to back, and go past your natural hip flex point, causing interference with your leg.

I can now ride some "normal" type seats with large cutouts and the proper amount of cushion and support (not too cushy). If going on a long ride (50-500 miles) the Spongy Wonder is switched to what ever bike I'm taking.

It should also be noted that this type of seat has to be adjusted just right or it doesn't feel right. It needs slanted down a little more than you would think, and adjusted so you sit bones are right on it, and the flex point at the top of your leg is just below it. Took me a couple weeks of fiddling to really feel comfortable on it.

The one I bought about 5 years ago is still in great condition, except on my third set of seat covers.

If looking for a more traditional design, find a good bike shop that has several types, and will let you try them. You really need to find one that fits their hip bones ("sit bones"), and not necessarily the biggest cushiest thing out there.
Old 09-15-09, 08:14 AM
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by pathguide
apparently there isn't a website called bigbuttbicycle.com like I told her.
Can you pleeeaaase tell us more about this part of the story?