Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Getting some bikes to get in shape!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 12:25 PM
Duck and Cover

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My future wife and I went out to get new bikes last night and I just have a few questions. I am a big guy at 6 feet tall and 286 pounds. I lost a lot of weight about 2 years ago but slowly put it back on as I stopped walking and started eating out all the time. The area we live has a little park with a 8 mile path and there are a lot of others in the area as well, so we are going with bikes.

So last night we went to the local Trek Store and tried out a few bikes. She is going to go with a Womens 7000 as most others she had trouble getting on or just didn't feel as good. I tried the 7000 but had a hell of a time just getting on the frame size I need. I ended up actually really liking the FX 7.2 for feel, and I had a much better time getting on it. The only thing I worry about is that I know some dirt trails that I don't think these would work on, but I know a mountain bike would be a poor choice for most of our riding as well.

The bikes are bought and paid for but still there as they didn't have the bike rack in stock so we are going back Sunday to pick it all up. We do get up to 30 days to decide on the bikes for sure though. These will be the only bikes we have for a long while, saving for a house and such. Are either of these a big mistake? Is there a bike that I am missing that would handle a dirt path and roads better?
Old 04-29-09, 01:24 PM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neither bike would be a mistake by any means so long as you are happy with them. The FX that you picked out will be able to accomodate some cyclocross tires (tall skinny knobbies) which would enable you to confidently ride some dirt trails. Now, I wouldn't advise jumping, hucking, or other trails that would actually require a mountain bike, but a nice rail trail or fire road would be perfectly fine for either bike.

Make absolutly sure that both you and your fiancee have your wheels retentioned and retrued after 200 or so miles. At 285lbs your not all that heavy, no worries about the frame or componets. Rims are another story. A lot of people will advise that you get a stronger wheel built up but if you are light in the saddle and keep up with truing and tentioning you could get several thousand miles out of a set.

By posting to this forum you have agreed to post pictures of your new bikes when they arrive. bonus points will be awarded for action shots.

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your nuptuals!
Old 04-29-09, 01:34 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
According to Trek's website, the 7.2FX comes stock w/ 35c tires which are pretty wide so I wouldn't hesitate riding on dirt/gravel/fire trails/whatever. You might need knobbies if you ride in a lot of mud/sand/packed snow, but otherwise they'll just slow you down. You could probably get away w/ thinner tires if you want to pick up some speed.

And +1 on pics.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 04-29-09, 01:35 PM
Duck and Cover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We will get some pics as soon as we pick them up, hope to take them out that day!

The bike shop will take care of tuning them and the wheels up to 4 times a year free for us so I am sure we will use that. I am not 100% but I think I also get a year warranty on my wheels for broken spokes etc.. If I make it that year and do a lot of biking I will have no issue dropping more cash on a new set.

I do tend to ride light or high, which is why I felt so much better on the FX than the 7000 I tried. Also a lot better than my old Trek 820 that I had many moons ago.
Old 04-29-09, 07:54 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by skdmrklcy
My future wife and I went out to get new bikes last night and I just have a few questions. I am a big guy at 6 feet tall and 286 pounds. I lost a lot of weight about 2 years ago but slowly put it back on as I stopped walking and started eating out all the time. The area we live has a little park with a 8 mile path and there are a lot of others in the area as well, so we are going with bikes.

So last night we went to the local Trek Store and tried out a few bikes. She is going to go with a Womens 7000 as most others she had trouble getting on or just didn't feel as good. I tried the 7000 but had a hell of a time just getting on the frame size I need. I ended up actually really liking the FX 7.2 for feel, and I had a much better time getting on it. The only thing I worry about is that I know some dirt trails that I don't think these would work on, but I know a mountain bike would be a poor choice for most of our riding as well.

The bikes are bought and paid for but still there as they didn't have the bike rack in stock so we are going back Sunday to pick it all up. We do get up to 30 days to decide on the bikes for sure though. These will be the only bikes we have for a long while, saving for a house and such. Are either of these a big mistake? Is there a bike that I am missing that would handle a dirt path and roads better?
You should be okay with light dirt trails, stay away from the technical stuff though.

One problem people have with bikes, they think of it as the same as a car, you need one that can do everything you want in one vehicle. In reality a bicycle is more of a transportation tool, there are different bikes for different tasks, just as there are different hammers or saws for different tasks. The 7.2FX is intended for exercise, maybe you can throw a rack on one as a commuter or grocery getter, although I still think an English 3 speed (with a 7 or 8 speed hub) with a rack and fenders is probably better for that, in that you can put snow tires on and keep going in wintry weather..... If you want speed, a carbon fibre racing bike can't be beat, for long distance where you can spend hours in the saddle and haul your living quarters with you, a chromoly touring bike is worth it's weight in gold. Of course for off road a full suspension mountain bike is best, although none that I know of are made for a rider North of 200lbs.... So you may need to trim the "engine" a bit for that.

Start with the 7.2FX in the stable, ride it as much as you can. As you get more and more riding in, as you get a feel for riding, and find yourself doing stuff that another kind of bike is better at, you add to the stable. There is a saying around here, the number of bikes you need is N+1 where N is the current number you have.
Old 04-30-09, 10:46 AM
Duck and Cover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am starting to see that I will end up with a few bikes if I am able to carry though! As long as this one will get me started and get me though at least this year with no major changes I will be happy, and it seems like it will do that just fine. I am already looking into local clubs but will wait till we are able to do some distance rides on our own around the park before we venture into the roads. I did start my "diet" today, and once I get active will be a lot easier to stick with it.
Old 04-30-09, 11:17 AM

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=bautieri;8822993]
Make absolutly sure that both you and your fiancee have your wheels retentioned and retrued after 200 or so miles. At 285lbs your not all that heavy, no worries about the frame or componets. Rims are another story. A lot of people will advise that you get a stronger wheel built up but if you are light in the saddle and keep up with truing and tentioning you could get several thousand miles out of a set.

[QUOTE]

+1 on the retensioning. This will go a long way in preventing broken spokes.

Welcome to the forum & congrats to you and the future Mrs. skdmrklcy
Old 05-03-09, 07:25 PM
Duck and Cover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We picked up the bikes today! After the bike store guys helped us get the bike rack on the car we went over to a relatives we were having dinner with and rode around the little subdivision for a bit. Maybe 1.5 to 2 miles total just figuring stuff out. I can tell you one thing I am out of shape!! We are going to go out tuesday evening on the local bike path if the weather allows. My saddle hurt a little but I will give it a bit I do think I need to bring it up about an inch. The other bike seemed to fit the future wife well and she just has a little trouble stopping all the way. I don't think we did bad for being 8 years since I have been on and more than that for her.
Old 05-04-09, 09:46 AM
Duck and Cover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I am a lot more out of shape than I wanted to admit to myself. Today it hurts to sit on just about anything. My legs and arms are also sore. I am still looking forward to riding tomorrow though. I have even been looking at folding bikes all morning so I could bring one with me to work to ride on my brake. Though the weight limits put those down the road I think I may make that a prize when I get to that weight.

I am hoping to get some pictures Tuesday as promised with the fiancée and bikes.
Old 05-04-09, 10:21 AM
Cute, fluffy, and illegal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little soreness is normal, especially when you're first starting out. Keep with it though, and try to ride at least every other day for a little while and you'll strengthen those muscles and harden your butt before you know it.