Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

My first fixed gear, Help please

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 04-30-09, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I'm new here and new to fixed gear riding as well. I found a old maruishi touring bike in the trash and just recently converted it to fixed gear. I pretty much was able to do the conversion for free. I volunteered for a bicycle program where you volunteer your time and they help you convert/fix you bike for free. Anyways to the point, I'm looking to find a better gear ratio than the one I have. My city is mostly flat with some slightly hilly areas. Right now I've got a 52t chainring and a 20t cog. I love this ratio as I'm able to get up my speed relatively quick but the only dislike I have is that I'm not able to back pedal to slow down very well let alone skid. I do have a front brake by the way. What is a good gear ratio that would be similar to my current one but will let me skid to slow my speed? I've been reading up on it and I tend to see a lot of 48t/17t or 47t/18t. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jay.
Old 04-30-09, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can't skid 52x20 you will not be able to skid 48x17 or 47x18 because both have more gear inches then what you currently are running. Go lower or get stronger.
Old 04-30-09, 12:47 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Handy link: https://sheldonbrown.com/gears/
Old 04-30-09, 01:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replys. I guess I'll just stick with what I have and get stronger. I've only ridden it probably 3 times since I've finished it and before that I haven't ridden a bike in nearly 6 or 7 years. So I'm guessing I'm pretty weak right now and it probably might have something to do with my technique of trying to skid. thanks again.
Old 04-30-09, 01:23 PM

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need a lot of strength to skid that ratio though ... I am guessing it is just his technique. He is probably not pulling up hard enough or unweighting his rear wheel enough. Most people I know who can't skid ... it isn't because they are weak.
Old 05-01-09, 07:04 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you need to learn how to skid before you can say that your gear ratio is keeping you from being able to. 52x20 is nice 'n' easy.
Old 05-01-09, 07:23 AM

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can also watch some youtube skid vids. There are tons of them there and you can see how others do it, that may help. Or if you have friends that can skid. Watch what they do and try to do it yourself. Balls to the stem for distance not real stopping.