Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Old 11-21-09, 04:27 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What's up with the saddle tilt?

I rode to the DMV to get my driver's license renewed, but I forgot to bring the expired one, so it ended up being more or a fitness/recreation type ride rather than a utility ride.
Old 11-21-09, 05:07 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Went to Krogers and picked up a few groceries on the Worksman with baskets.
Old 11-21-09, 06:09 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Grocery day here too...

Old 11-21-09, 08:19 PM
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grocery day as well. Two re-usable Sobey's bags full of foodstuffs. For some reason a large proportion of motorists out this evening were, shall we say, less considerate than usual. I had an enlivening experience at one of the four-way stops by my house. I'm thinking of getting some more blinkies and reflective tape.
Old 11-21-09, 10:12 PM
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
First ride after a fairly successful battle w/ H1N1 (did better than my wife and kiddoes, at least...) was down the big hill to Stop and Shop for caraway seeds for tonight's Goulash.

Somehow a 12er of Long Trail managed to get into my mess bag for the ride home...

Woo hoo. Well enough to ride AND drink beer again!
Old 11-22-09, 01:07 AM
No longer here

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
First ride after a fairly successful battle w/ H1N1 (did better than my wife and kiddoes, at least...)

I sure feel ya on that one,my friend! Just as my hip was feeling well enough (and with Doc's blessing for lite rides) to ride a little after tearing a hip muscle back in August (on an unintentional acrobatic bail mtn biking outta town,then climbing nearly 12 miles),I caught the pig flu,and was down another 2-3 weeks before it ran rampant betweenst myself,wife and 2 kids...ugh! Now I'm finding in all that time lounging around,I have no more fitness base,LOL!

Glad yer feeling better
Old 11-22-09, 01:12 AM
No longer here

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
singlespeed92,

That's a gorgeous looking bike.
Thanks for the props ! It'd be a hard decision betweenst this one (which I've had several years) or my d440 (Redline 29er mtn bike-because it flies so well off road),but this one's been one of my top 2 favorites since I was a kid. This is it's second time as a roadie/commuter-type bike,but since I'm Mr. Mom now (won't be going back to work),it isn't really "commuting" anymore . I sure love this ole Girl,she's always been there and treated me well. Sometimes,when riding mostly singletrack on the new one (the d440-and well,it's a year and a half old now,LOL),I forget how much so.
Old 11-28-09, 12:47 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Taking my bike into NYC has become a habit. Most of my visits are social. On Wednesday, I was invited to a party up on 157th St and Riverside Dr. Cycling from Penn Station took a bit longer than the subway would have taken, but I saved myself $2.25, and I had a lot more fun.

Many years ago, I commuted along Riverside Dr from the 60's up to Washington Heights, so this was a nostalgic ride for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-28-09, 05:18 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I just rode about 10 miles round trip, doing three errands: the UPS store, the dry cleaner, and COSTCO! It was tough and slow going, but I'm proud of myself.

I got to COSTCO at sunset, so I rode home in the dark. I now have a headlight and two taillights, and drivers were very accommodating to me.

It was 40-somethingºF and breezy, and I was quite comfortable. This utility cycling is not nearly as hard as I expect.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-28-09, 07:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
I just rode about 10 miles round trip, doing three errands: the UPS store, the dry cleaner, and COSTCO! It was tough and slow going, but I'm proud of myself.

I got to COSTCO at sunset, so I rode home in the dark. I now have a headlight and two taillights, and drivers were very accommodating to me.

It was 40-somethingºF and breezy, and I was quite comfortable. This utility cycling is not nearly as hard as I expect.
Congratulations! It will get easier with time. There's always wind in this valley and now that it's cold I'm finding that I'm dressing in quite a few layers. I'm staying warm, though. I have to say my favorite cold weather purchase has been my pogies (handlebar mitts). I can now ride comfortably with 1 pair of gloves and my hands stay warm.
Old 11-28-09, 09:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the post office and back, no extra mileage thrown in today, for a total of 9.5 miles. First ride in almost two weeks and, boy, did I feel it!
Old 11-29-09, 08:06 AM
aka Tom Reingold

REI has pogies for paddling. Where can I get cycling pogies?

Old 11-29-09, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://amlingscycle.com/product/side...imitts-902.htm
I ordered a pair and they arrived three days later.
Old 11-29-09, 12:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought ATV pogies by KwikTech on sale at Amazon for $17.99 (with free shipping). Amazon just got them back in stock and they're still $17.99 (with free shipping on orders over $25). https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Hand-Prot...9008322&sr=8-2
Here's what they look like on my bike.

Old 11-29-09, 12:34 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Axis (commuter), Specialized Tricross S-Works, BMC Team Machine SLT01, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got a trailer.. I had been wanting to get one for a few months for grocery shopping. I went with the Burley Nomad. Supermarket is 4.4 miles round trip. Today was my test run, every thing went smooth.

Old 11-29-09, 01:22 PM

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode to the gym and stopped at the market on the way home to buy cucumbers, cheese and two small steaks.
Old 11-29-09, 04:10 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Public library, Franklin's brewpub, Arrow Bicycle.

I spent over 200 bucks on beer (1 pint and 2 growlers), rubber (3 pairs of cartridge style brake pads and 2 tires), and candy bars (two boxes of Hammer Bars). I'm going to return the Hammer Bars, they jacked me on those, $2.60 per bar. The tires, brake pads and beer were no bargain either. I'm enjoying the beer.

On a mountain bike with no rack, basket, or trailer...

Weather was warm, sunny, calm.
Old 12-01-09, 01:06 AM

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
hey all, ages since I posted here, pretty much riding my mundo about town for all errands and work - recently I've been taking the dog to work, in a basket on the back, she loves it (I work in a small school two days a week, the kids love having the dog around). And somehow the novelty of having a dog on back means cars give me a little more consideration (or maybe they just think I'm crazy and are giving me a wide berth...)

No photo, but I'll post one soon.

And, I had a health check the other day and have lost 3kg, for the first time since my early 20's I'm under 70kg! I've also noticed I'm handling the Okinawan hills on my mundo much easier - definitely the more you cycle the easier it is.

Happy pedalling!
Old 12-01-09, 12:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eggnoggbubble
hey all, ages since I posted here, pretty much riding my mundo about town for all errands and work - recently I've been taking the dog to work, in a basket on the back, she loves it (I work in a small school two days a week, the kids love having the dog around). And somehow the novelty of having a dog on back means cars give me a little more consideration (or maybe they just think I'm crazy and are giving me a wide berth...)

No photo, but I'll post one soon.

And, I had a health check the other day and have lost 3kg, for the first time since my early 20's I'm under 70kg! I've also noticed I'm handling the Okinawan hills on my mundo much easier - definitely the more you cycle the easier it is.

Happy pedalling!
Glad to hear you're enjoying the Mundo. Looking forward to seeing a picture. What type of basket are you using for your dog? I bet your dog loves the bike rides, too. Keep on pedaling.
Old 12-02-09, 12:08 PM
aka Tom Reingold

We're having work done on our house now. A carpenter is doing it all. He's also a friend of mine. He recently got his car totalled in a collision, totally not his fault. So he's carless for a while, and he's been getting rides and borrowing cars. He was waiting for a ride home from our house last night, calling his partner repeatedly, but no answer. So I loaned him my commuter bike, complete with taillight and headlight. He gratefully took it home, in the dark. It was an EIGHT MILE ride, and I bet he hadn't been on a bike in a long time.

I had a meeting later, with the newly formed bicycle coalition, so I took my cheapo fixed gear bike. I clipped a taillight to my back pocket. I had no headlight, so I took a thin flashlight. In the middle of the ride, I decided I'd like to shine the headlight forward somehow. I stuck it under my helmet straps, on the side of my face. It worked! It was only 1.5 miles for me. It was cold, but my clothes kept me warm.

Old 12-03-09, 02:29 PM
I can - therefore, I do..

Bikes: '84 Motocruiser, '10 KHS TR 101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About 80 lbs. of clothing that we fed the "Planet Aid" box with last weekend ...

Old 12-03-09, 04:02 PM
aka Tom Reingold

That eight mile ride my carpenter took on my bike didn't go so well. He fell twice and injured his shoulder. He thinks he hit a pothole he didn't see in the dark. He's unable to work now. I feel bad!

Old 12-03-09, 04:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That eight mile ride my carpenter took on my bike didn't go so well. He fell twice and injured his shoulder. He thinks he hit a pothole he didn't see in the dark. He's unable to work now. I feel bad!
Don't feel bad. The person that was supposed to pick him up should take the blame.
Old 12-03-09, 04:53 PM
aka Tom Reingold

But instead, he's blaming the victim, his own partner. We call him Mr. Guilt Trip.

Old 12-03-09, 05:22 PM
I can - therefore, I do..

Bikes: '84 Motocruiser, '10 KHS TR 101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=chrism32205;10087023]Finally got a trailer.. I had been wanting to get one for a few months for grocery shopping. I went with the Burley Nomad. Supermarket is 4.4 miles round trip. Today was my test run, every thing went smooth.

Nice!! Burley has an excellent line. It is so rewarding to go out and do something on a bike that 99.99% of the rest of humanity does by car, isn't it?? My wife (Cyclepup) and I are doing our first dog food run tomorrow - should be about 24 mi. round trip... giddy with excitement, seriously!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.