Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

1st. club ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st. club ride

I have been member of BF for a while but haven't write for more than one year, I also have not been riding since October for different reasons and started again one week ago.
Today I had my first club ride ever.

It was very interesting.

Good things that happened:
- I realized that I didn't feel all the pains that I usually feel when I ride alone. After a couple of miles when I ride alone, my mind gets busy thinking how my back hurts, my legs, hands, etc. There is always something. Today I was so busy trying not fall behind, that I haven't have time for pains
- I still can't believe how fast I was going. (It was rated as a very easy ride, so probably it was slow for the others) I don't think I can keep up that speed riding alone.
- Even if I read it everywhere, I never took it too serious how our mind can affect us. By riding in a group it seems that there is not so much time for weaknesses and giving up so fast.

Things to improve:
- Bring water!!!!
- If I haven't used the bike for a long time, I should have done some maintenance work. The chain was very loose and making noise, the tires are very old. I should change them.
- I also have to replace the brakes before the next ride.

My feelings are divided. I feel embarrassed because of my novice style ride and problems with the bike, not to mention that I forgot the water.
At the same time, I feel soooo good that I could finish the ride. It gives me some encouragement to start a diet and training more and lose weight. Maybe I can lose some weight after all and feel better!
Old 05-07-09, 01:48 AM

Bikes: Giant Cypress and Fuji Newest 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job, yeah group rides are a great way to push yourself beyond what you think you can do.
Old 05-07-09, 03:44 AM

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Done !! Group rides can be a great motivatior as well as lots of fun!!
Old 05-07-09, 09:19 AM
Cute, fluffy, and illegal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding with a club really pushes me to do better, go farther and ride faster than I would on my own. Don't feel embarassed though - they were all once the new guy/gal. If they're worth riding with, they'll encourage you and help you out along the way.
Old 05-07-09, 10:45 AM

Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Novice style? Youre in good company! Everyone you see on a bike had that too! We all start somewhere
+ 1 on the group ride thing. Like gotls1 said, They are great for motivation, and networking and tips on riding and maintenance and company! Cyclists are a great bunch! Keep it up!
Old 05-07-09, 09:42 PM
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good job - Keep showing up. Look for rides that say No Drop...and you will be fine. Especially rides out of a bike shop as the employess are there to help!! You go girl!
Old 05-07-09, 10:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!

I couldn't stop thinking all day today on yesterday's ride. I even took my bike to a bike store but they are busy until June. The lady there showed me how to change the chain and the cassette (I looked up the name in wikipedia) and sold me a little tool to break the chain and another tool for the cassette. She also gave me a mini lesson on how to do it. I'll try it tomorrow. I'm so exited that I want to learn everything about bikes and biking.
I'll take a picture before I try it. I'm thinking that I might not be able to put the chain back where it goes.
Old 05-07-09, 11:25 PM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The Park Tools website is your friend. They have step by step instructions on every repair a bike could ever need.
Old 05-08-09, 08:11 AM

Bikes: 2001-Brodie Spark, 2005-Trek 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like all the reasons why I'm looking forward to my first club ride this weekend.

I agree as well on the Park site. I think that it ranks as one of the top ten cycling sites.

https://www.parktool.com/repair/index.asp
Old 05-08-09, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Mongoose XR-75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your first club ride. I am sure it was very enjoyable. It is always better to ride with someone than ride alone. The enjoyment factor doubles.
Old 05-08-09, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by artimus
Sounds like all the reasons why I'm looking forward to my first club ride this weekend.

I agree as well on the Park site. I think that it ranks as one of the top ten cycling sites.

https://www.parktool.com/repair/index.asp
GREAT! Thanks for the website. I didn't know it... I just was looking in wikipedia. Not quite the same

Enjoy your first ride and don't forget the water!

I always bring water when I ride. But I guess I was so exited for this first club ride that I forgot about the water.
Old 05-08-09, 06:55 PM

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Riding with a club is great but not always better. I ride with two groups on to socialize and one too ride hard. I like the first group but it does nothing to make me a stronger rider.