Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Found a Mongoose in my yard

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-07-09, 10:22 PM

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts

It was there when I got home. I waited until dark and when nobody came to get it i brought it inside. I see they are sold at Target for cheap so it must be pretty crappy.

I only know road bikes so my question is do I just give it away or is it worth riding?
It looks a bit like this but dirty. https://www.toysandgamesonline.com/as...d=XT96-GOO1032
tires and wheels look ok and all the parts are there.

Thanks
Old 05-07-09, 11:02 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I would say to myself "Wow it looks like a Norco. I think I'll slap a dual crown fork on that baby and go racing."

Oh, wait a minute . . . I think I did do that .

Hey, anything that works is worth tooling around the 'hood on. Though it might be kind to post a 'found' on craigslist first, in case it was stolen and then ditched in your yard.

I have these little battery-powered devices that I shove into my yard that repells mongooses. Or is it gophers? Hmmm . . . .
Old 05-07-09, 11:51 PM

I did some closer inspection once I got it inside in some light. The rear derailleur is folded in half. If it was stolen it was abused really bad. I did think that it might have been ditched.

The issue with posting on CL is that most of the people where I live that ride that type of bike are non English speaking and may not be looking at CL very much, unless there is a Spanish version.

I will give it a shot though. It might be some guys only means of transportation. If it isn't claimed I have a RD laying around to make it go.
Old 05-08-09, 12:12 AM
bumpersoar

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.9, Trek 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call the local police or sherrif dept and let them know what happened. If it was stolen, they may have a report on it.
Old 05-08-09, 04:00 AM
Motivation is the key...

Bikes: Trek Series 3 3900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bumperm
call the local police or sherrif dept and let them know what happened. If it was stolen, they may have a report on it.
+1
Old 05-08-09, 06:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have found bikes in my backyard. i give them to people that fix them and give them to kids.
Reminds me, I keep forgetting, I have an old steel Giant Iguana in the garage that I need to give out.

Last edited by varminter; 05-08-09 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-08-09, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'd do the CL thing *and* the police thing. If a month or more goes by, donate it to a worthy cause. (kid with no cash, one of the guys in your hood who needs it for trans, etc.) If you've already got roadbike(s), you may as well just use those to tool around the neighborhood; someone else needs that 'goose more than you do.

-rob
Old 05-08-09, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by surreal
I'd do the CL thing *and* the police thing. If a month or more goes by, donate it to a worthy cause. (kid with no cash, one of the guys in your hood who needs it for trans, etc.) If you've already got roadbike(s), you may as well just use those to tool around the neighborhood; someone else needs that 'goose more than you do.

-rob
That's a good plan. Someone does need it more than I do. If it's not claimed I will get it running and give it to a worthy cause.
Thanks for the input.