Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

How can I pick the right cruiser?

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

How can I pick the right cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-09, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruiser advice please?

I've been riding arched over for a long time, I'd like to buy a leisure bike that sits upright. A cruiser would be a nice addition to my bike collection but I don't know very much about cruiser bikes. Does anyone know where to find just the right cruiser for just the right price?

Here's some specifics:

-I don't want a heavy steel frame
-I can't afford more than 300
-I don't want a stretched frame
-I would like a 3 speed (not a derailleur setup)

Additionally, I don't know if I should stick to a certain brand (schwinn) or if other brands might be comparable. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by dlittledlite; 05-09-09 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-09-09, 12:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.beachbikes.net/

even after owning one of there bikes for a year when something went wrong they had good after sales service. Allot of there bikes are steel, but I don't know if it matters to much when it comes to cruisers.
And they have allot of really well styled bikes.
Old 05-09-09, 06:31 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Used or new will be fine as long as it looks and feels right to you. Nirves and Electras may be spendy for you, ditto full restorations you see on Craigslist but why not adopt an older bike?

Those are plentiful, especially women's models in my experience.

People are starting to call straight bar bikes cruisers too...generic disease. Comfort bike and beach cruiser are other terms used (have you ever seen one on a beach or tried to ride on sand)? Straight bar bikes are great of course but they aren't cruisers to me. Cruisers came from the early days when adult sales were falling and the makers turned to youth and found bikes resembling motorcycles (Harley-Davidson in particular) sold very well. You're looking at aesthetics taken to a glorious height, fun and gee whiz. The reason you went to the movies on Saturday perhaps.

I like full suspension and BMX, like most bikes in general but I want paperboys and a front basket and a coaster brake. Multi-speed bike don't use coaster brakes. full suspension and rear doesn't allow for paperboys.

Go look around at used ones first, look around here as well of course. You can find a gem now and then if you look hard enough.
Old 05-12-09, 09:45 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Cruisers do not necessarily sit upright- check it out before buying.

You'll notice a fair number of them with handles turned up. Problem I had with that is when your hands get sweaty and you hit the brakes, your hand can slide down the grip. Not a desirable situation.

Normally, "beach cruiser" implies no fenders, not the same as saying just "cruiser". I imagine they work fine on the beach, IF you ride on the packed sand where cars have been driving. Otherwise, it'd be like riding through peanut butter.

There have been some awfully cheap cruisers made. We bought one at Walmart for $60 or so. "Electra" seems to have a decent reputation, but keep an eye out for used ones, and you may find something well within your range.
Old 06-02-09, 03:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cruisers are fun, that being said im looking for one that has a decent parts list and maybe some stainless steel action to avoid any issues with rust. Any experience with the blacked out models available?
Old 06-02-09, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't afford more than 300 - Craigslist, garage sale, bikes left out with the trash, maybe ebay.

If you have or find a frame a conversion, 3sp rear wheel+handlebars+saddle, can be done for $300 I guess.
Old 06-05-09, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
If you shop around you can probably get a year-old Schwinn Alloy 3 cruiser in your price range. It is all the things you are looking for, lightweight frame, classic Schwinn cruiser styling, and a 3 speed hub. You can see pics of it at Schwinn.com.